SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Python, S&W 686. Which one would you take if the prices were the same?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Python, S&W 686. Which one would you take if the prices were the same? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If they cost the same, I'd likely take the 686 as well. Though, my uncle has a Python and its trigger is fantastic!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have never shot a Python; I have shot a 686. I also own a Model 19, and a Colt Officer's Model. The Officer's Model has, far and away, the best handgun trigger I own, bar none. In fact, in single action, it is target rifle good. About 2 pounds, absolutely no discernible travel before the break. I like the 19; I LOVE the Officer's Model. Based on that, I would take the Python. I understand that it isn't as durable, that it isn't stainless, and that finding parts is a bitch. Based on my experience, I'd take it anyway. That could change, if I held each side by side in my hand.

No, I'd still take the Python. Nothing beats high polish Colt blue.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
686, simpler lock work, parts availability, still plenty of folks who can work on them. And I’m used to the feel of the DA trigger pull.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would take a Stainless 6" Python as I love the way they look. Never shot one though. I do have a model 19 and have shot a 686 and both are great handguns......the python would be something to look at, shoot once in a blue moon.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
Growing up a friends dad owned a 1970's era 6 inch stainless Colt Python that was in excellent condition. I had the pleasure of shooting that gun many times. That Python was the best revolver I've ever fired and I've used alot of revolvers, including S&W's.

If I could possibly have one for the same price as 686 I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

Of course in real life that will never happen.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
686. I have a Colt Trooper, the original poor man's Python. And a S&W 686. The Trooper is nice but you almost never hear about timing issues or hand/pall issues with Smiths. As a preferred third choice, the 586 in blue or nickel.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had both the 686 and the python, which I bought new in 1981.I sold the python years later and kept the 686. Ran onto a ruger security six that I
liked and got rid of the 686. I love that ruger more than the previous 2.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bripro:
Try to keep it between these two examples. 6 inch blued Python or 4 inch stainless 686.
Just imagine they are exactly the same price and you had a whole safe full of semi automatics and wanted to add on just one revolver. Again try to keep it between these two, which one would you take?

Real talk time.

Which one would you take if the prices were the same? Nonsense. It's 2019, unless you have a time machine, drop that criteria. You can find some expensive 686's, but prices on the Python? Retarded.

The fragility of the Python has been a longstanding issue among wankers. The divinity of the Python has been an ever increasing trend among a different group of wankers.

My man. The prices can't be the same.

What is your goal with this gun?

I wouldn't touch new Colt product with your dick, or anything remotely recent. If I want a Python, it needs to be 70's or earlier. If you're going to "collect," well.... buy Colt because Morons.

If you're going to shoot, buy early colt, or buy that 686. You can still make a killing on a used Colt.

My remaining Python was made in 1968. I have a bunch of S&W pieces, that don't compare. With all due respect, the "if the prices were the same" nonsense has to go.

What do you want to do with the gun? Shoot, or run a museum?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bripro:
^Yeah I’d take the McCormick too if it could fit it in my pocket.^

No, that's the size of your avatar. Frown

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
To collect > Python

To use > 686

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
The 686.
It would go with me to the range every trip, with a box of 158 grn SWC handloads. I love those classic S&W’s.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 686.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Python

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Either one would be a toy for me that wouldn’t get shot a ton. So for me, if price was the same I would have the Python. I just think they look nicer, and since I’m not going to shoot it enough that durability is a concern I’d rather have the better looking gun.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well after sending my Python back twice in the mid 80’s for timing issues I sold it and got a 686. Everyone shooting IPSC back than used the 686 for the same reason.

So since all my guns get used it would have to be the 686 but I prefer the 6 inch

Posts: 635 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
if you are going to compare a Colt to a 686, then the King Cobra may be the better Colt to compare a 686 to,

however,

everyone should own a 686 (or 586 if you prefer blued)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I passed on a Python back when a clean blued 6” was going or $1600. I own a 686 6” if that answers your question. Also a GP100 and a Blackhawk. Having said that, if I could get one for the same price as a 686, I’d jump on a Python.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The Colt is irreplaceable, so from a value standpoint, that.

To shoot, I'd then buy a the 686.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post