SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1780 - What Pistols Wouldst You Carry?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1780 - What Pistols Wouldst You Carry? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
OK, so I'm kidding, but after the last couple of threads I couldn't resist throwing up a quote I came across when looking through V. Wheeler-Holohan's "The History of the King's Messengers" (NY, 1934). On page 159 of the version preserved online (page 201, digitally), it says:

"The pair of pistols of a Messenger appointed in 1780, which bear his name on their silver-mounted butts, are fearsome-looking weapons. One is longer in the barrels than the other, and was intended to carry bullets. The second, also double-barreled, is shorter, but was intended to carry heavy shot."

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cg...218&view=1up%seq=201

I admit to always having wondered about the point of having something like Taurus' short-barreled Judge. But with a muzzleloader, I would've thought that longer barrels might leave more room for a few more shot and a bit more thorough powder burn. Still, they carried those things for a living, so maybe the guy who ordered the pistols knew what he was doing.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
In case you're slightly serious, maybe one or two Kentucky Flintlock pistols?

RE: the messenger's/choices setup.

I'd bet the one loaded with shot was intended for personal defense at close range and thus needed to be at hand. So, yeah, go with small for that one: easily carried, trading size for reduced powder capacity/shot capacity/range. Didn't see a picture of their setup in the link, but I'd guess maybe even a very short barrel derringer-style?

Where accuracy or power would be called for: a heavier pistol with a longer barrel, setup with a bullet, for sure. Maybe not as big as the one I linked above, but probably needed to be accurate enough to stop someone running away with stolen diplomatic papers.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
the pretty one like Joel posted were made for show, and protection,

the better to carry, were the military type, that had a strap around the pistol grip, and a cap on the bottom,

with experience you can reload them fairly quickly, but you may also have to swap ends,
as in grab it by the barrel and use the pistol grip like a hammer, and do and old fashioned beat down with it,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
In case you're slightly serious, maybe one or two Kentucky Flintlock pistols?

See, I like the whole "double barrel" thing when you're out in the middle of nowhere. I suppose one could argue that carrying multiple single-shot pistols is like carrying multiple magazines in order to ensure that you always have one that works, but with all the traveling those guys actually did anything that saved weight might well have mattered.

As for the beat down, that's why the butts were (tastefully, of course) silver-mounted.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
As for the beat down, that's why the butts were (tastefully, of course) silver-mounted.

Well, lemme axe you a question: Have you considered that there might be an even better option? Big Grin

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

Well, lemme axe you a question: Have you considered that there might be an even better option? Big Grin

like it!!

recently sold an original coach gun,

flint lock blunderbuss type, with a flip over spike bayonet attached,

neat piece of history

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes, but would it alter the point of impact? Razz

(Yes, I can see that it's permanently mounted.)

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Can I just be Daniel Day Lewis from Last of the Mohicans??

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd skip the pistol and just get a blunderbuss. You only get one shot so might as well load it with nails, glass and lead pellets

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
You only get one shot

You only get one shot per pistol... So carry more pistols. Big Grin

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post