SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Trying to figure out value of older guns that have sold prior with Gunbroker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to figure out value of older guns that have sold prior with Gunbroker Login/Join 
posted
Let me start by saying, this is not a for sale or fishing thread. I am just trying to figure out how to use Gunbroker to value some guns, based on those that already sold. Is there a way to see what has sold in the past on there? I remember someone,somewhere saying you can. I know I can value some based on what is on there now but some of the guns he has are older than what are on the site.

I am only doing this as a favor to my mother in law as my father in law just passed away and my mother in law has some guns that her husband owned and I really have no idea of their value. I am just trying to research what he had and if she decides to sell them in the future, she won't get screwed,even by family members(unfortunately), which is why I am trying to figure things out.

Para if I have overstepped my bounds on this I apologize and I should be locked out or banned appropriately. I have nothing to gain on this other than helping my mother in law out at a difficult time. Any help would be appreciated,thanks.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Let me start by saying, this is not a for sale or fishing thread. I am just trying to figure out how to use Gunbroker to value some guns, based on those that already sold. Is there a way to see what has sold in the past on there? I remember someone,somewhere saying you can. I know I can value some based on what is on there now but some of the guns he has are older than what are on the site.

I am only doing this as a favor to my mother in law as my father in law just passed away and my mother in law has some guns that her husband owned and I really have no idea of their value. I am just trying to research what he had and if she decides to sell them in the future, she won't get screwed,even by family members(unfortunately), which is why I am trying to figure things out.

Para if I have overstepped my bounds on this I apologize and I should be locked out or banned appropriately. I have nothing to gain on this other than helping my mother in law out at a difficult time. Any help would be appreciated,thanks.

Contact some dealers who use GB regularly maybe they can give you an idea. Other than that there is some Blue Book for guns. I think that the NRA has one for gun values.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 879 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can use advanced search to look for completed auctions. Look for one(s) that had bids. If you'd like I'll send you an email and can probably give you at least a rough idea on most of them. Hard to say on some types of stuff without actually looking at it. Other stuff is pretty easy. The more collectible and valuable they are the more important it will probably be to have a knowledgeable person look at them. If it's pretty common stuff that won't be much of an issue.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
thread. I am just trying to figure out how to use Gunbroker to value some guns, based on those that already sold. Is there a way to see what has sold in the past on there? I remember someone,somewhere saying you can. I know I can value some based on what is on there now but some of the guns he has are older than what are on the site.

It is pretty simple. Sign on to gun broker.
Hit the advanced button next to the search bar
click completed button
type in the type of gun you are looking to sell

take the top 3 guns that HAVE more than 1 bid that best matches your gun in condition.

Take those three average out the price asked.

that is the best retail estimate.

Now, if you are looking to sell them to a gunstore, expect them to offer 40-50% of that retail value per gun.

If you consign them, expect up to a 90 day contract with up to 40% commission for the store. (my store locally is 20%)

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Caveat: GB completed auctions only stay alive for 2 months and then get auto-pruned. Also, if your gun is rare/scarce, then it's unlikely GB will be of help.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^ Caveat: GB completed auctions only stay alive for 2 months and then get auto-pruned. Also, if your gun is rare/scarce, then it's unlikely GB will be of help.

I should have mentioned that.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Yeah, one of the drawbacks. For most stuff it's usually enough. On the rare stuff that doesn't show up much anyways some of the big auction houses keep their past auction results longer. Rock Island is pretty easy to search. Really just depends on what kind of stuff it is. Having been in that business for quite awhile I'd say it's pretty easy to get a value on most stuff pretty quick. Only really rare and truly oddball stuff is kinda hard at times. But outside of one of a kind and really unique stuff it's usually not too hard. Lol, then there is the easy stuff "A used Glock 22 walks into the store..." Smile

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I didn't even notice the "completed button". If it was a snake, it would have bit me many times. Some of his guns I might not be able to find and you're right, I will probably need to get them appraised elsewhere. He had some really neat stuff but unfortunately, some are rough due to storage in pistol cases and such.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post