SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Streamlight TLR-7
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Streamlight TLR-7 Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
My guess is it will be 500 lumens for flash and bash type timeframes not 500 nonstop for an hour.

Probably steps down after a couple minutes to a lower/yet likely very bright level. So flash 500 lumens off flash 500 lumens off. ON 500 lumens......step down 300 lumens.....slowly dropping curve from there.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I think I'll be staying with the XC1A for a compact light with switching being the primary reason

Same.

The XC1A isn't perfect, but it'll do until something better comes along. Hopefully something that combines compact size, traditional switching, segregated momentary/constant activation, decent output, and ruggedness/reliability.

I just received my XC1B and initial impressions are the momentary vs constant setup is better than expected.

Basically, to turn it on constant with the paddles, press and release - hold it even a smidge more and it's temp light. All of my normal momentary activation muscle memory gets me momentary.

Not as nice as a dedicated method like the X300 setup, but not as bad as the WML temp, where you had to hold if for like a second to be temp.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of Steiner DBAL-PL's which are super pricey. Sadly, you can toggle between light and laser; its both or off. This TLR-7 and TLR-8 pair looks like a great solution if they operate separately like the other Streamlight models.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Is there to much wear and tear to consider putting it on at night for HD, then removing it in the morning for EDC?

I think I will pop for one of these when available, and put it on my G19.5.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
WRT removing during the day and putting it on at night.

In terms of 'wear and tear', I think the only real risk with the Streamlights / Surefires that have a screw mount is the danger of over-tightening the unit / breaking a screw / mount (assuming a light only, not laser - obviously there could be zero issues with the laser).

If I was going to do that (on only for HD at night, off for carry), I would get an X300U with the rail lock system (pull down on the tabs, slide off or on). I have an older X300 with that and it's very easy to do that. Takes maybe 5 seconds and assuming you keep your hand below the muzzle, you could do it with a loaded firearm.

I wouldn't want to do that with any of the screw mount systems (on / off with the handgun loaded) - just too many revolutions of the screw / handling of the weapon to be safe, at least for me.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Streamlight TLR-1 has a spring-loaded thumb screw on the side that allows for easy on/off. As long as you don't have it torqued down hard, you can just turn it counterclockwise a couple times with your fingers, then press in on the head, and pop it off the rail. Install is the exact opposite. Almost as quick as the X300 release described above, and can be done safely without sweeping your hand.

The TLR-1s on my defensive firearms are tightened further than finger tight, since I don't take them on and off. They require a coin or screwdriver to loosen. But they don't have to be that tight to work right.

Most of the newer lights, like the TLR-7, APL, or XC1, require a tool to unscrew and remove. (The XC1 in particular is also pretty finicky about proper placement and tightness, so it's not a quick on/off, and I wouldn't want to be doing it regularly.)

For a period when weaponlights first came out, regularly putting the light on and off was the norm. Even for folks like LEOs, many of whom would carry the light on the belt, separate from the gun, and attach it as needed after drawing the gun. But with the advent of well-designed light-bearing holsters, that method (thankfully) fell by the wayside.

And nowadays, with increasingly compact lights and the rise of quality light-bearing concealment holsters, the need to take a light on/off is greatly diminished. I'd recommend investing in a light-bearing holster, rather than planning to put a light on when you go to bed every night and take it off again every morning. Lights are handy even during EDC; they're not just for HD at night.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And nowadays, with increasingly compact lights and the rise of quality light-bearing concealment holsters, the need to take a light on/off is greatly diminished. I'd recommend investing in a light-bearing holster, rather than planning to put a light on when you go to bed every night and take it off again every morning. Lights are handy even during EDC; they're not just for HD at night.

Agreed.

I would bet good money that you could do a blind test and individuals dead set against a WML on EDC wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a pistol holstered with or without these types of WML:

TLR-6 / XC1 / APLc

Weight and size differences are negligible.

For a dedicated HD gun, I can see having an X300U or TLR-1HL installed, but they just make the pistol too long for my body to conceal (mostly while sitting, they end up pushing the holster up too much).