SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Didn't I read about HK brining out button mag releases?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Didn't I read about HK brining out button mag releases? Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
I seem to recall reading that HK was going to release a gun with a button mag release?

Is that still the plan? I love everything about HK's, but just will not use a paddle mag release gun.

Is this gonna happen?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I don't know. That would be great wouldn't it ? A VP9 with a button release would be one slick cat.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8681 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by esdunbar:
Is that still the plan? I love everything about HK's, but just will not use a paddle mag release gun.[QUOTE]

Try holding the grip with the bottom three fingers.Use the the thumb on one side,and the fore finger on the other side to release the mags.

Once I tried this I really preferred the HK paddle release over the button release.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
If I remeber the original story correctly, the push button mag release models were only going to be available in Europe.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It's funny how people are so different in what we prefer. I far prefer the paddle mag release or at least an ambi button that I can use my trigger finger to drop the mag. My thumbs are fairly short and I am just so accustomed to paddles now I love them.

I did read about HK releasing a button mag release for the VP/SFP but also read it would be for Europe. My guess is some kind of military or LE contract request.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never understood this enough about the HK paddles. To me, the ears of the paddle were far out enough that I could still drop the magazine with my thumb like a push button mag release. This was true of a VP9 and a P30.

I understand the "muscle memory" is to push in and not push down; but it was never an issue with me. Shrugs. I guess we want what we don't have.

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really prefer the paddle release. To me, it's superior to the push button release. I don't understand why people have such a hard time with it.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It's muscle memory. Most all of us were weened on left side push button release. The first time we use a paddle we instinctively use our thumb which is less then perfect for the paddle. Using a trigger or middle finger of the shooting hand is super fast and great for those with smaller hands, but takes a bit of an aha moment.

I totally get why most folks don't get the paddle. Me, however, like you do feel it has quite a few advantages.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
When people say the paddle is superior, I just roll my eyes. It's a subjective thing, what is superior for one is inferior for another.

I refuse to use a finger coming back towards the trigger to release my mag. That leaves me with the thumb, and mine isn't big enough to hit the paddle.

I'm glad some folks like the paddle, but I think it's the worst design ever. Never mind the fact all my other guns use a push button mag release.

At a minimum, if I wanted to carry a paddle HK, I might get comfortable using the middle finger of my strong hand to activate the paddle (I still think this is an unnessary risk), then I'd have to never carry any of my other guns because I'd need my muscle memory completely different.

I'm not about to do that because these stubborn twerps won't make a gun with a proper mag release. Instead, they just miss out on a lot of customers imo.

Paddle guys will defend that stupid thing until the cows come home, but the reality is, they are the minority of the market.

I've tried several times and just decided I'm done with HK until they offer a button.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Going with the button style didn't hurt PPQ sales, at least at the domestic consumer level. It doesn't seem to have helped with agency sales however, which I think was the main reason for creating the M2. Aside from the gun being adopted by Taiwan police forces--ironically choosing the paddle release M1--there doesn't seem to be much in the way of police contracts for the PPQ.

At some point the button release HKs will probably be over here on this side of the Atlantic. HK in its most recent financial filings is still some 170M Euros in the red, which for an arms company long removed from startup status is not really a good thing. Colt came out of their recent bankruptcy with a similar amount of debt and look how they've continued to struggle.

Once paddle VP9/40 sales here slow enough, I would postulate that HK will attempt to revitalize interest by introducing the button version. They already could do that with the P30 and HK45 if they wanted to; those models still sell but not like they once did. And goodness knows they still very much can use the money.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK has been in a high level of debt for over a decade, now. I suspect that is why their large US factory plans didn't work out back in the mid 2000s.

However, recent wins in the US, France, and de facto wins in Germany keep them afloat.

In my view, the reality is everyone and their grandmother make polymer pistols with a button release. That is a large part (IMO) of why Walther's fortunes have not improved with the switch to buttons. Admittedly, Walther buggered up their transition by requiring different magazines, breaking 15 years of backwards compatibility.

Critically, in Euros, HKs debt has stayed the same for the past 10 years.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nice thing about the HK button solution is it doesn't change the magazine at all. They'll work in either button or paddle models of firearm.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the paddle but don't begrudge people the button release. I hope they continue to offer the paddle and don't do a full change over ala PPQ. Once I learned the proper finger for releasing the paddle I was sold.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count me in as being a minority twerp. Maybe it's because I have small hands, but the paddle release is so much smoother and ergonomically superior for me. I'm not against HK introducing a button release for those that prefer it, but they shouldn't stop making the paddle.

Now if Glock would make a paddle release...

Posts: 104 | Registered: February 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I also prefer the paddle.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I didn't think I would adapt to the paddles on my HK pistols after years of SIG and others with buttons. The extended 45c paddles on my P2000/P2000sk pistols confirmed it is the best system (for me).

I tried rowing my boat with a button but it didn't work.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of throwingdown
posted Hide Post
Oh boy. An optics ready AND a long slide.

Take my money.

I have used button release for years. After trying the paddle, it's quicker and more intuitive. I use my index finger, don't even have to change grip angle. According to stats, most gunfights are over in under 10 rounds.

Posts: 423 | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
LOL, the paddle boys can't help themslevea but say it's better.

The PPQ proved where the market is. I just can't believe that HK has been this stubborn for this long.

posted Hide Post
I am throughly convinced the one thing john Moses browning got really really wrong was putting a button mag release in a location that required you to have to shift your grip on a gun to release an empty magazine. A paddle or button I. A better location would be far superior. In fact I agree a button reversed to be activated by the trigger finger makes much more sense. I am even considering moving from a glock to a VP9 for this exact reason

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post