SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought two new handguns this afternoon.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought two new handguns this afternoon. Login/Join 
posted
I had a P365, born in October of '18 and never had a problem with function, But, I noticed that when I drew (or tried to draw) from my AIWB holster, that I often got the little devil in a grip that, to shoot right, needed to be adjusted.

About the last thing this old boy wants is to use my firearm in self defense, but if that happens, I want to be able to fire it without having to make some adjustment to my grip on the gun.

So I sold it.

My G42 and G43X are currently on vacation in Katy, Texas for ColdBoreCustom's grip reduction treatment. He's a member here and Para liked his work on two of his guns. I noticed that I shot some Glocks real well, others, not so well. So he's giving them "the treatment." So far I like everything about my experience with CBC's operation.

Shoot Straight is having their 40th Anniversary sale and I knew better than to go there with money in my pocket, but I did it anyway.

I bought a new Hellcat at 529.00 and a new P365XL at $559.00. The Hellcat seems real nice and the XL's slightly longer grip seemed made for my hand. And they took a trade and gave me about a hundred more than I expected. I was in shock and couldn't say "Let's do it!" quickly enough. Of course there was tax and the $5 background check fee.

I will shoot these Monday PM (I hope) and then order holsters for both.

I don't know how these prices compare with your home area, but they were much better than others I have seen in TampaBay.

I still want to fondle a P365 SAS, and hated it that I missed 12131's slightly used one the other day. I'll wait to see if I can catch a used one here or see if (maybe...please...come on, just do it) Sig makes one without the ports.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
The price for the 365XL is pretty good. I picked up one at first responder pricing that was $536 out the door.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your price was really good!

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SS1 - Anxious to hear how you like the Hellcat....For me I struggled with gaining a consistent grip on my P365 when drawing from IWB so I took the Dremel tool to my Vedder holster to remove a small amount of leather and more importantly I purchased a complete P365XL lower and mounted my P365 upper on it....To date 240 rounds through this set up with over 800 rounds on the P365 set up....Running a standard P365XL 12 round mag and these two things have made all the difference in the world for being able to more consistently grip this pistol when drawing from my IWB holster...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
The gun store charged you $5 to run a 4473 for guns you were buying from them? I've never heard of that before. Is that common in FL?

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

The gun store charged you $5 to run a 4473 for guns you were buying from them? I've never heard of that before. Is that common in FL?
That is a fee that is charged by the state. The store just passes it on to the buyer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
SS1 - Anxious to hear how you like the Hellcat....

Yes, please post a range report when you get to shoot it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you get a Hellcat with the RMR cuts?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

There are some stores here that charge $10 for the FFL fee to be in addition to the purchase price.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the Hellcat, they were out of the OSP, with the cuts for the itty, bitty red dot.

Yep, 5 bucks to the State for the background. It has varied over the years, but been pretty stable now for 20 or so years at $5.

I'll do a range report Monday evening (assuming my plans to shoot the new ones come to fruition on Monday afternoon. I wish I was as gifted in that department as 12131 is, but I'll get my point across.

My feelings, exactly, Mark. As soon as I held the P365 XL. I knew it felt "right" as compared to the smaller P 365.

I still gotta try the SAS, but it's not the most pressing thing in my life as far as guns go.

Bob

Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Half the same for me- picked up an XL there, same price,(but no Hellcat). Told the guy to pack it up at the counter once he gave me the sale price, he started to and then said that one was for someone else (maybe you)and had to get one from the back.

Did you have to go in the smaller room in the back for the marathon NICS checks as well?

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, this was the store in Clearwater. But, as the two guys working there told me, all 9 Shoot Straight store had the same sale going and all were running a lot of BG checks, so it would be a bit before I could get my OK and go.

So marathon BG checks were probably happening or seemed that way if you were waiting for the OK from FDLE. I spent the time looking at other things to buy, but fortunately, my common sense (which I have surprisingly little of) kept me form spending more $.

I saw a lot of guns being purchased in the hour or so I was at the store.

Bob

posted Hide Post
SS1 - Just received my December issue of Guns and Ammo and they have a great article on the Hellcat. According to their article the Hellcat they tested reflected great accuracy. Smallest group was 1.62” and the largest group (report reflects 4 different ammo’s tested) was 2.01” from a five shot group at 75 feet....That is a significant distance for a sub-compact pistol.....Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, no range report of the new Hellcat and P365XL today. Got my stuff together, drove down to the range and found it was closed.

Checked their website and see they have "Summer Hours" and on Monday they are closed. Mad

I recall them discussing how slow it was in the afternoons during the summer, so I guess I should have looked.

However, the earth is still revolving so I have ordered new holsters for the guns, a Vedder for the Hellcat and a Tulster for the XL.

Tomorrow is trap shooting at the Silver Dollar and I will make another try on Wednesday to shoot the new guns.

Sorry,

Bob

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Nice pick ups. I’m pretty happy with my P365 but can’t stop thinking about the XL.

I love Shoot Straight. I just moved to FL a few months ago but it’s a favorite of mine. They have some great deals. I picked up a new Beretta 92fs for just over $400 a couple weeks back.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Missed the SS sale but I"ve bought a few guns already so it's not a bad thing for my budget.

They always have good deals, and it is busy as all get out....

The $5 as has been said is the state charged fee, they don't mark it up to the buyer.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took the two new guns to the indoor range this morning and shot 70 rounds through each. I will, of course, shoot more in a couple of days.

I shot 25 rounds of Federal FMJ, 25 rounds of Fiocchi HPs, and 20 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense (which has been my carry load in my Glocks) through each.

First the Hellcat: The mag springs were real stiff and I was certainly glad I had an Uplula mag loader. Otherwise, it was sort of boring-the guns shot where I aimed it, the front sight was very easy to see, and there were no malfunctions of any kind. I wish all my guns were just as boring.

The only "excitement" with the Hellcat was in stripping it for cleaning. The takedown lever rotates UP, not down like most other pistols.

I was stumped for a minute then did what real men usually never do-looked at the directions.

The P265XL: Mag springs were stiff, though not as bad as the Hellcat. I still used the Uplula.

Four times with the Federal ammo and five with the Fiochhi, the slide failed to return completely to battery, It looked like it was in battery, but took a light smack on the back of the slide to make the gun capable of going "bang." The ones with the Fiocchi ammo were five in a row, in the first mag. The Federals, which I'd shot first, were scattered around in both mags.

After the problems with the Federals and the first mag of Fiocchis, the gun worked perfectly.

Otherwise, it shot where I pointed it, was very pleasant to shoot, I could see the front sight clearly and there were no malfunctions with the Hornady ammo.

The front sight on the Hellcat really seemed to stand out for me.

I plan to take both back to the range and do more shooting (like a couple of hundred rounds through each) to make sure both work perfectly before carrying either. I was just a bit short on time today.

Bob

posted Hide Post
Back to the range today. Only handgun I shot was the P365XL as I wanted to make sure it was gonna work.

I did recently pick up a Spanish El Tigre(copy of a Winchester Model 1892 and always said to be a well-made gun). I have wanted one since I was a kid in the late 50s/early 60s drooling over ads in American Rifleman and Shotgun News and having no money to buy anything there. Mine apparently had never been fired outside the factory, yet had a few age marks and shot fantastic at 25 yards (the only distance one can shoot a rifle at that particular indoor range). Oh well, maybe another day in the Rifle Section.

Back to the XL. Another 100 rounds of Federal FMJs, worked perfectly. Then 40 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense, half 124 grain and half 115 grain. Both worked perfectly, but I noticed the 115s seemed to group just below the 124s. Gun now has 210 rounds through it.

I haven't decided whether to change from the 115s I have been carrying for several years to the 124s, need to do some more research.
The XL worked great today, no repeat of yesterdays tap episodes, and I think it is a gun I would carry for EDC.

Gonna take the Hellcat back again, all by itself and see how it does. Last time no problems, but not enough ammo through it to trust for carry yet.

I bought a Vedder IWB with claw for it and a Tulster IWB for the XL.

Bob