SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is there still a place for the P239?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there still a place for the P239? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roadrash:
Dumped mine 3 years ago,dont miss it a bit.
Sig discontinued it for a reason, outdated design .

"Sales & profitability" is the correct answer.
Before you say that being outdated is why, just know that is not correct either.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
Yeah, lather, rinse and repeat here, but it's true.

I daily one in .357 Sig DAK in a High Noon Holsters IWB. The heft just eats the recoil, it's match accurate, the mags are as slim as P230 .380's (almost) and I've noticed that the DAK system 'shoots in' well, like an old S&W revolver...the more rounds that you put through it, the smoother it gets. Mine has nearly 5,000 rounds through it and I've never had a single MALF of any kind.

Also, the DAK gives you that "same trigger pull every time" dynamic that seems to drive all poly-striker fanboys into orgasmic glee.

Never shot one in 9mm, but I think if I had one chambered in the FBI's favorite round, I'd have to ditch their "put a skirt on it" mentality and go find some really hot ammo to justify it's weight. A standard 9mm loading might be too mild for this platform. But say, Cor-Bon's 115 gr. +P or Federal 9BPLE? That might be OK, but you're pushing that little straight walled cartridge pretty hard at that point.

That's why I love the .357 Sig...you get +P+ performance with essentially +P pressures, the whole point behind the bottleneck design. I don't care that it gives up one round to do it, either.

It's a fantastic package....

I shoot everything from 115 grain to 147+P in mine and nary a problem. Been doing that for years now. IMHO, the 9 is a better balanced gun that the 357 or 40.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
Whatever the case, it sure doesn't help that the factory has completely disowned the gun. I love mine in 9mm but the freakin' mags are now selling for $75+ since the factory discontinued the gun. Thanks SIG, I really appreciate that. Frown

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I can't figure out how that gun is so accurate. It's short on all the characteristic of the great Sig P series shooters, but is as accurate as anything.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a P239 SAS Two Tone 2nd Gen in 357Sig for a long time. I replaced the SigLites with their old combat sights right way and also put on the Hogue finger grip. I love the 239 and carry it often. Typically in a 5.11 holster t-shirt or an aftermarket alternative to the 5.11 holster t-shirt. I also have a LaserMax laser in it which is also wonderful. I'd love to find another exactly like it at a reasonable cost.

Thank You,

Mark
Bikers For Christ M/M

The Bible: Read, Apply, Repeat

Posts: 474 | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is. I have one in 357 with the Hogue finger grips. Would like to find some different grips someday. I will never sell it, is fun to shoot, accurate and reliable.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Yes, there is. I have one in 357 with the Hogue finger grips. Would like to find some different grips someday. I will never sell it, is fun to shoot, accurate and reliable.

Hogue checkered G10. It's like it's glued to your hand.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a new member here and appreciate that. Will be 72 next month. Open up your calculator and enter these numbers for how many firearms I’ve owned, used, competed with, kept, traded, sold. The earlier decades were always about chasing the “new and improved.” Over the last few years I’ve selectively “cut” my collection all the way down to what I consider my required.

All my Glocks are now gone because I could never get totally comfortable with striker fired. Yes, I know…you can…but I could not. I’ve no interest in debating that. My P239 in .357 Sig is not obsolete. It is the elite, having survived so many downsizing cuts. It’s still here…and always will be for the long and the (sadly overlooked) list of very real advantages pointed out by members here, which I won’t repeat.

Yes, I’m a SIG fan, but not because of any need to be a “part of the group.” I’m a fan because, IMHO, SIG handguns are simply better made than others…hence their a) performance statistics in so many areas and situations, and b) worldwide trust in SIG. Coupled with my P220 in .45 ACP…I, personally, no longer have any need to add or upgrade. And you can take this to the bank…they won’t just “do,” they’ll do and then some. I consider these 2 pistols “destination guns,” and I hope more people get there.

Have a good week everyone.

Posts: 13 | Location: Blue Ridge Mountains | Registered: May 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
welcome and good first post Big Grin

looking forward to more, sir.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Taidog1:
My P239 in .357 Sig is not obsolete.

Rock on.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
My P239 in .357 Sig is not obsolete.

Rock on.

Huzzah, huzzah!

quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
Dogs are gifts from God, full of love.

And cats are Satan's curse upon the Earth....

Posts: 800 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I have two, one in my desk at home and the other is my daily carry; both are .357

For some unknown reason, I can shoot these more accurately than any of my other pistols. On the other hand, I can't hit anything with my 229. I'll never sell these, but may give one to a daughter who has been wanting one.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The market decided it was an outdated design. Otherwise SIG could sell enough of them to make building them worth while.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Before you say that being outdated is why, just know that is not correct either.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I would have never guessed yrs ago that the(a) 225 would be back but the 239 would be gone.

But the 225 is 9mm only and I guess that cleans up a few things for SIG in the catalog.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

All my Glocks are now gone because I could never get totally comfortable with striker fired. Yes, I know…you can…but I could not. I’ve no interest in debating that. My P239 in .357 Sig is not obsolete. It is the elite, having survived so many downsizing cuts.

Well I still have my Glocks but the P239 (357 Sig) is what goes with me everywhere. I have never been able to do the downsizing thing yet.
I don't think I ever will.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
welcome and good first post

looking forward to more, sir.

Thanks Frank. Good to be here. Haven't been called a Junior in awhile tho.

Posts: 13 | Location: Blue Ridge Mountains | Registered: May 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The market decided it was an outdated design. Otherwise SIG could sell enough of them to make building them worth while.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Yeah, that’s pretty much it. Q called it on the first page:

quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Is there still a place for the P239?

For its fans, yes, no matter what its shortcomings, perceived or real. For the rest, no.

Posts: 17107 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jumping back into this polite disagreement...

Shortcomings of the P239, perceived or real? Not too big or too small...proven reliability... sufficient capacity...already well established on the street...totally trusted by those who carry it...yadayadayada. Just sayin'...

The .357 SIG caliber, with a few faults like every other caliber, is what the 9mm so much wants to be and tries to be. IMO.

Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
quote:
The .357 SIG caliber, with a few faults like every other caliber, is what the 9mm so much wants to be and tries to be. IMO.

Posts: 800 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sig P239 is what originally turned me on to Sig back in 2004 with the nickel special GOTM runs they did. I shot one many years ago as a range rental. That said, I never picked one up. I started with a P229ST in .40 that I ended up selling. I'm currently Sig-less, and contemplating the P239 even though on paper it doesn't make sense: Sig's discontinued them, I don't have a Sig, and I just don't like shooting my Glocks at the range as much. Might have to jump at one...

Posts: 406 | Location: NW FL | Registered: August 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post