SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is there still a place for the P239?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there still a place for the P239? Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
It's never done much for me. Only fractionally so, but the G19/G23 is thinner overall. And 2-3oz lighter, with far more firepower. Compared to the poly single stacks like the similar capacity PPS M2 or the Shield...no question which I'd rather tote around.

Plus if I had to choose a DA/SA over what I'm used to, I rather like the replacement P225A1 a fair sight better.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a nasty habit of listening to all the naysayers who say the 239 is obsolete,too big, too heavy,has low capacity, yada,yada,yada. It causes me to buy other guns like a G43, a Shield, a G19, a XDs, a 225. But after I buy them I always go back to the 239. It's not too heavy, conceals well and has decent capacity especially when one carries an extra mag. It is my EDC and always will be.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
yes! outdated and obsolete? hardly. if you are going to say that you might as well include all classic sigs along with it.

Just a matter of Sig making a another singlestack pistol in the 225a1 and the 40 losing favor with the general public. It was a money decision I am guessing!!

My carry weapon has been a 228 for years and I have been carrying my 239 now!!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Of course there is, but to each their own. Mine is the .357sig version, with a factory threaded 9mm barrel to swap out when it's time for fun vs carry. I had a 9mm back in the 90s and let it go, wishing now that I didn't. It's a tad heavy, but because of that, it handles recoil very well, is very accurate, has a decent DA/SA trigger, conceals well and with the CT laser grip (more about the grip/less about the laser), it just feels right.

I can see why it was dropped from the line, as there are better choices coming out every year, but it's still a great pistol.

As Clint Smith says (paraphrasing here), carrying a pistol isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting. The P239 fits that description for those that like them.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 239 was one of my first SIGs and will be the last to leave the herd. Not because it fulfills any one role better than an alternative, but because I enjoy shooting it, and shoot it extremely well.

Posts: 27 | Location: Georgia | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
We are a Sig agency, and have a certain selection of guns we can carry as a backup. Several officers opt for the P239 9mm; it is reasonably easy to conceal, extremely accurate, and a very soft shooter. It may be discontinued, but not because it has any flaws beyond not being the newest/bestest thing. It is a true Sig success story.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Love mine, don't carry it much these days.
With the CTGs & the plus 1 mag extension it feels great in my hands.
But it's not going anywhere!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
239 SAS, I shoot it well and it is highly reliable. Stock plastic grips with 20 rubber bands around the grip a 1/2 inch below trigger guard. Makes for a perfect palm swell as well as holsterless IWB carry.

Posts: 160 | Location: Sarasota FL | Registered: April 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It's as good as it ever was, and it was pretty good. I just feel like there are better options now. I typically either have room for a full frame gun in which case I'll carry my 229, or I'm looking for the smallest package possible because of how I'm dressed. The 239 used to be one of the better options for that second category, but it has been outclassed in that role now by many of the really good pocket 9s. That isn't to say that it's not still a great gun, there are just a lot of arguably better choices out there now.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I like my 239 but I always preferred my P225.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, my P239 is absolutely still in my CC rotation. It checks all of my boxes:
- 100% reliable
- I shoot it well
- Hammer fired (no striker fired for IWB)
- Multiple calibers (.357, 9, & .40 for ammo shortage)
- Easily concealed IWB
- Light enough for carry, yet easy shooter with hot .357/.40
- Night sights

The P239 357 is also my woods carry in a chest holster rig. It does it all Smile
I have tried a lot of different pistols, but the P239 is the only one that checks all of the boxes.

During the first weeks of the unSAFE Act, which originally outlawed magazines that held more than 7 rounds, I panicked and bought an XDs because I could not afford another P239 and the XDs has the grip safety, thus making it safer to holster. I ran ~ 600 rounds through the pistol and it never missed a beat. However, it gives me slide bite on my thumb, so it is not fun to shoot. It hasn't left the safe in 3+ years. I would sell it, but they sell used for next to nothing, so I keep it just in case.

I recently purchased a Dan Wesson ECO 9 mm, which is a great shooter and high quality pistol. I gained confidence with SAO with my P938, which is my pocket EDC. I have not purchased a holster for it yet and I am not in a big hurry. It will not replace the P239.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P239-9 is perfect for concealment and instills confidence for me with accuracy and old world quality digesting everything I tried so far.
I am moving away from it slightly to Sig 225s, picking one up last month and a second 30 minutes ago after a long drive (will post pics later on another thread) - and both are classic.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
It's greater than the sum of it's parts.
With the P-239, it's only disadvantage to a 226 or 228/9 is it's single stack magazine, which is why it's so easy to carry. My first 239 (357SIG), I could hit a bucket at 100 yards over and over. I've had 6 of them, never a problem with any of them.
Pistols aren't heavy, mortar base plates are heavy.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Will continue to carry my P239 off duty for a long time to come.

.357 Sig Cal

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kallotterg:
239 SAS, I shoot it well and it is highly reliable. Stock plastic grips with 20 rubber bands around the grip a 1/2 inch below trigger guard. Makes for a perfect palm swell as well as holsterless IWB carry.

Take a look at Talon Grips. I have them on all my 239's and they are great plus they eliminate the rubber band trick

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have carried a P239 since I bought it used in 2004. Hope that answers your question.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I found out they were dropping them I went out and got one to replace the one I sold but always regretted. I guess since I started with classic P-series pistols then I don't think their heavy at all but for newer shooters who started with poly guns they must feel like a lot of weight to carry. Mine isn't going anywhere and I may try to find one in 357.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I love my P239 SAS with the GGI Action Cleanup Perfection package. It's easy to carry, the trigger is amazing, and I shoot it very well.

I prefer to carry it over my Kahr.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
My TT 239/9 was my first Sig; so if only for sentimental reasons, I wouldn’t sell it. Plus, I got it for a crazy low price in 1997 stationed in Germany at the time, when it was about 2DM to 1USD. I paid $425 with no tax at the Kaiserslautern Rod & Gun Club. It’s the one that started my Sigaddiction. A few years back I sent it to the Sig Custom Shop for the AEP, SRT, bbl. re-crown, etc. Made a great little gun awesome.

Yes, I’m sentimental about guns; I keep my Ruger P89 because it was the first gun I carried CCW back in the early ‘90’s. Like the 239, it’s not very practical for that purpose compared to today’s offerings, but it always goes bang!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post