SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is there still a place for the P239?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there still a place for the P239? Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
My P239 has been in the safe for most of the recent past, but I recently took it out to do some basic maintenance. I was struck by how heavy it seemed. I have gotten used to the polymer pistols that have been my EDC recently.

I can't imagine choosing to carry it over one of the compacts or subcompacts from Glock, Sig, S&W or others. The size and weight compared to capacity just don't make it a viable choice - at least here in Florida with a hot climate. With the wide selection of smaller, lighter pistols out there these days, I am curious if the P239 still has a place these days.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, the P239 is an exceptional handgun. I carried one for some time, and found it was one of the more comfortable inside-the-waistband pistols that I carried. Mine was .40.

I'd wanted a .357 P239 for some time; last year I found one in excellent condition and picked it up. I found another .357 Sig barrel for my previous P239, and swapped the grips for Hogue.

While Sig has apparently discontinued the P239, there are a lot of owners who still appreciate the pistol. Mine have excellent triggers, are very reliable, and the P239 has a unique ergonomic with the flat front strap that makes a tactile reference for "muscle memory" that aids in aligning the pistol when shooting.

It's a metal handgun vs. plastic, but the weight difference isn't significant. I've used them with factory plastic, hogue metal and G10, and the hogue rubber grips; it's comfortable in the hand with all, easy to retain, easy to grip. If someone is comfortable with any of the other P-series Sig pistols, the P239 is a natural.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CSM makes some good points on the p239. This is a gun that I'll never get rid of. It feels good in my hand with Hogue rubber grips. I shoot it well, but I hardly ever carry it anymore. I do notice the heavier weight compared to my other carry guns, and the single stack has fewer rounds. A beautiful, classic gun though. I'm glad I own one.

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The P239 is perfect for the AIWB method carry. I think it’s weight to be more of any drawback than its capacity. It’s ergonomics are superior to any of its single stack competitors with the exception of the P225-A1, the reason for its discontinuance...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roadrash
posted Hide Post
Dumped mine 3 years ago,dont miss it a bit.
Sig discontinued it for a reason,outdated design.

Posts: 558 | Registered: May 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P239 in 357 sig has been on my wish list for years. Can't find any and I don't want to convert a 40 S&W.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 9mm. It is one of my favorites.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the P239 and still carry mine regularly. During summers I use Smartcarry.

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Its hardly obsolete but its obviously not mainstream anymore.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a TT that I swapped a .357 Sig barrel into and put CT grips on it, and a regular black version in .40 S&W. The .40 was my second choice hiking pistol, after my Glock 29; however, the Sig P250sc .40 has taken the number two slot since I acquired it.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can not imagine ever getting rid of my 9mm 239. That handgun makes me look like I know how to accurately shoot a handgun(a hard thing to do).

Posts: 6614 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have a .40. I bought it as a backup to my issued 226 .40. I wore it in a holster velcroed to my vest. It is heavy for a single stack, but it may be the most accurate box-stock Sig I've ever owned.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Not for me. Got rid of mine years ago. The combination of heavier weight, size and lower capacity made it very expendable. Mine was in 9mm. It was a nice pistol, don't get me wrong, but the practicality of it didn't work for me.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there still a place for the P239?

Yes 2 places, 1 at my front door & another on my auto door panel!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4264 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with Edmund. I have probably owned 10 different ones over 20 years. Scorpion, Nickel, SAS, etc.. all 9mm. Very accurate, very reliable (cannot ever remember one malfunctioning) but i always gravitated toward the smaller, higher capacity wonder pistols. Great gun for its time, but i think it became kind of obsolete.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I never warmed up to it. My first SIG was a 239 9mm but I dumped it decades ago as my EDC for a Kahr because it didn't conceal as well for me.

Then I got a 239 357/40 and didn't like it either. Low capacity, strange blocky grip. Sold it to my friend's mom.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Depends. If you are a new buyer and looking for a first concealable handgun then yes there are a myriad of better choices by the numbers.

If you own a P239 then I would say it is absolutely still a perfectly viable handgun.

The thing about the P239 in ANY caliber is it shoots astoundingly well. It shines in .40/.357 SIG.

I wouldn’t sell a P239 I shot well for something else. I wouldn’t likely buy one as my first concealed handgun in 2018 either if that makes sense.

I have a .40 P239 and it’s not going anywhere.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there still a place for the P239?

For its fans, yes, no matter what its shortcomings, perceived or real. For the rest, no.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
I'm keeping mine.

I only keep guns that work well mechanically, are accurate, and suit my needs. The P239 is near to top of my list in all areas.

But I can see why it is not for everyone.

Ironically, the P239 -- the answer to the need for a low-capacity pistol with the onset of the 1995 Gun Control Act, strong enough to handle the .40 and the .357 as they came to the fore in the market -- went obsolete in Sig's eyes the same year that the P35 Hi-Power went obsolete in Browning's catalog.

Both are great guns but possess designs that were perfect for an earlier era but which have been surpassed in modern times, at least in absolute metrics such as capacity, weight, size, etc.

But for me, a major plus factor is the DA/SA workings of the P239. A lot of people think this is obsolete too. But I feel a DA/SA pistol is inherently safer than a striker-fired pistol. I cannot bring myself to stuff a striker-fired pistol with a pre-tensioned striker and a light trigger (to which they all seem to aspire) down the front of my jeans.

Plus the darn thing just shoots well.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RoverSig:
I'm keeping mine.

I only keep guns that work well mechanically, are accurate, and suit my needs. The P239 is near to top of my list in all areas.

But I can see why it is not for everyone.

Ironically, the P239 -- the answer to the need for a low-capacity pistol with the onset of the 1995 Gun Control Act, strong enough to handle the .40 and the .357 as they came to the fore in the market -- went obsolete in Sig's eyes the same year that the P35 Hi-Power went obsolete in Browning's catalog.

Both are great guns but possess designs that were perfect for an earlier era but which have been surpassed in modern times, at least in absolute metrics such as capacity, weight, size, etc.

But for me, a major plus factor is the DA/SA workings of the P239. A lot of people think this is obsolete too. But I feel a DA/SA pistol is inherently safer than a striker-fired pistol. I cannot bring myself to stuff a striker-fired pistol with a pre-tensioned striker and a light trigger (to which they all seem to aspire) down the front of my jeans.

Plus the darn thing just shoots well.

Exactly my thoughts.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post