SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why is everyone down on the Glock 36?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is everyone down on the Glock 36? Login/Join 
Picture of T.Webb
posted
I joined the GSSF because I want to take a Glock Armorers Course. The membership came with a coupon to purchase 1 Glock every year at Blue Label pricing. I already own a G19 and a G44 (.22 LR), so, I thought a .45 would be the most logical for me. But when I went looking locally, the ONLY Glock available was the G36. And several people told me to avoid the G36. So the obvious question is ... WHY?

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
It’s has a wide grip for a single stack magazine 45 pistol & why carry this when you can carry a G19 with greater capacity? Also, 45 caliber pistols are generally inherently accurate due to the caliber but I’ve found the G36 to be not as accurate as let’s say Sig P245’s & definitely, officer and commander 1911 variants. Basically, I think the G36 challenge comes back to magazine capacity Vs. its size.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
My experience with a G36 is maybe indicative of my individual gun. I had put mine through a good amount of rounds to feel comfortable making it my CCW. After about four months of carrying I decided it was time to rotate the defensive ammo during a range session. I unholstered and fired my first round only to have the gun jam and render the pistol inoperable. The captive spring had jumped off of the guide rod which required the a gunsmith to separate the slide for the from the frame with a mallet. Glock sent me a new guide rod and I purchased a Lasermax, but I never felt comfortable carrying it again. I still cringe thinking about what could have happened if I needed that gun for defensive purposes. I traded that gun for a P220ST that I still have to this day. I have had a love/hate relationship with Glock handguns for near 30 years. I have learned to appreciate the platform and spend most of my time training, practicing and, carrying them.

IMO, the G36 was not one of the best designs produced by Glock. It was released in the middle of the 1994 AWB, while police agencies were looking for better alternatives to the 9mm guns that were not doing well in shootouts. Six rounds of 45acp didn’t sound so bad over 10 rounds of 9mm. With 9mm ammo as good as it is today and so many smaller guns with better capacity, I am still surprised Glock makes the G36. I still remember handling the G36 and the Sig P245 trying to decide which I should buy, and to this day I regret not picking the P245.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a 30S

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or a G30 Gen4. My G36 was also trouble prone, and it took a trip back to Glock and replacement of the RSA and other pieces to fix it. I've shot it enough since the repair to consider it OK to carry. But the G30 has never stumbled.

Posts: 76 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Get a 30S

That is exactly what I did. I weighed the differences and decided the 30S with its higher capacity was the way to go. There was not enough of a difference in frame width for me to justify going with the 36 and its lower capacity.

Plus, the 30S fits the kydex holster I use most often for my 26 and 19. The 36 did not.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually got back into 45 thru the 30S. Bought the first one, realized it was a little bigger than a 26 with 10 rounds of .45, then loved shooting it so much i bought a second one. I only did that because i hear they are not all that easy to get as far as Glocks go.

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. It looks like I'm waiting for a 30S.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have big hands and yet, I HATE the grip on the 20,21,29,30. Had a 20 and 21, both gone real fast.

Owned a 26, didn't work for me. The couple 19's I owned all left as well. Through it all the 36 stayed.

The problem most people have with it is it's not quite small enough, or doesn't quiet carry enough rounds. Only true if you compare it to other things. Not so much an issue when you're comparing it to things you hate.

Mine has been 100% reliable and very accurate for what it is. I like shooting 60-100 yard steel with it. But I agree with my own points. I have an XDs that's every bit as reliable and accurate, but smaller. The 36 became a house gun when the XDs came along. But I enjoy shooting it and it reminds me of the person I bought it from who's no longer with us.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the G36.

The G30S is G30 with a G36 slide. The G36/G30S uses thinner barrel. If you're going to shoot +P, get the G30, not the G30S.

The G30S has the same frame width as the G30. Just a slightly narrower slide. Given that the G30 is the same overall width as the G30S, there's really no advantage to going with the G30S.

The G36 has a limited capacity, but it's thin and comfortable in the waistband.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
The 30S has the SF frame, not the regular 30 frame. Just to be anally specific.

quote:
Given that the G30 is the same overall width as the G30S, there's really no advantage to going with the G30S.

I found a significant difference between the weight and size overall of the 30 slide and the 36 slide.

Another plus about the 30S is that you can use the 21 mags. I don' think anyone has mentioned that yet. You can't use anything other than the 36 mags with the 36. I'm not sure if they make extensions for them.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
G21 mags work fine in the G30, same as the G30S.

Both the G30 and G30S, using the same frame, do tend to pinch during fire, between the bottom of the frame and the magazine. I find that when I first start shooting them, I get pinched there initially, sometimes getting a blood blister, which seems to disappear after my finger naturally adjusts within the first box or two.

Pearce quit making a mag extension for the G36 after their tooling was damaged, They presently offer the PG 360 extension, a "plus zero," which gives no additional rounds. I haven't tried the current version, but many users reported function and reliability problems with the G36 when using mag extensions. Some fixed it with extra power springs.

I would expect that as a plus zero, it doesn't impact reliability (complaints were with the +1's).

Schearer offered a mag extension for the G36, but I believe they're gone, now.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
When I was on the hunt for a smallish .45 a few years back, I picked up a standard 30 and was amazed at its accuracy. For whatever reason, I shot it far better than the gen 3 21 I also had. The 21 went away and I still have the 30, which I carry with the flush 9 round mag. No pinching, 10 rounds of fat acp’s and as reliable as any Glock I’ve owned with any load. I’ve never felt the urge to get a 36, but do admit I’d like to give the narrow slide 30S a try.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I carried a G36 for quite some time as a backup and o my issued P220. Never had an issue with it. I shot a lot of injured deer with that G36.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a G36 for a couple years. Never had a problem with it jamming. I found it was a handfull to handle with plus P. So, I carried standard Ranger T's in it. I moved to a G19 to get more rounds when I thought things were getting bad.

John

Posts: 113 | Registered: April 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I think they forgot to put the rest of the frame on it.

It never seemed to feel right. Either the gun is too small or my hands are to big... I can't swap hands. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience with a 36 but I always heard it wasn't as Glock reliable as the rest. I had a 30 and swapped it for a 30s when they came out. It's been my winter carry for several years, I've probably got north of 2000 rounds through it with zero malfunctions and I'm accurate with it. It does give me a horrible case of Glock knuckle though so when my balls get big enough I'll undercut it. The first mag ot two is downright painful but after that I don't notice it till the next day. And the day after.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The G36 is as reliable as any other Glock.

Those who have had reliability issues were likely using mag extensions with the factory spring.

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
The G36 is as reliable as any other Glock.

Those who have had reliability issues were likely using mag extensions with the factory spring.

Nope. Every pistol manufacturer can send out lemons, even Glock. I just had a shitty G36 with a defective spring/guide rod. I had a gen 4 G19 that flung brass to the face 4 of 5 times. Glock replaced most of its guts including a redesigned extractor, and I finally made it acceptable using An Apex extractor. It flings brass at you now about 1 of 10 maybe less. It now belongs to my son.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the first generation G36 had feed/ejection issues which were soon corrected by Glock.

I have the second Gen G36 with no issues to date.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post