SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Tritium night sights-little silver ring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tritium night sights-little silver ring Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know what type of metal the little silver ring in night sights is made of?
I want to black out the silver rings in a rear rear sight and need to know what to use?
Paint, aluminum black or cold blue, etc.?

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I've never seen "silver rings" on a night sight. (Ameriglo, Pacific Tech, Glock, Meprolight)
White or orange epoxy, yes.

Either way a black sharpie will take care of it.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It might depend on whose sights they are, but it seems to me that the lamps of older SIGlites are made from aluminum, and that’s the “ring” we see surrounding the window. In my experience aluminum black doesn’t work well unless the oxidized layer is removed from the metal, and that would be difficult, I believe, with something as small as the night sights, and especially without the possibility of damaging them. I would also be leery of using other harsh chemicals on other types of sights.

As mentioned, a felt tip marker would probably work as well as anything: cheap, quick, easy, and effective.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SiGagain
posted Hide Post
Yup...original SIGlites were Trijicon and they used aluminum tubes for their Tritium with sapphire lenses...

Bill

Fast is Fine...Accuracy is Final
*SiGARMS GSR Revolution STX
*SiG/Sauer*P220*P226*P228*P230*P245*SPC2009*P365

NRA Benefactor Life/LEAA Life Membership

Posts: 2410 | Location: ChicagoLand, USA | Registered: November 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went with aluminum black. Worked perfectly. Sight are now exactly as I wanted them. Front sight has white ring around the tritium and rear sight is blacked out.

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post