SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Trijicon RMR--Which one to buy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon RMR--Which one to buy? Login/Join 
The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room
Picture of Rigby470
posted
Looking to get an RMR, and Trijicon seems to be the way to go. But I see they range in price from $350-$650 depending on which one you get. And I'm confused about the differences. Do you all have experience with these? What do you recommend?

========================

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor
NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #13-943

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On this I have way too much experience in learning what works best. The most basic overview would be that they come in three variations one which does not take batteries and two which do, one you can adjust the brightness and one you can't. And within that you have different reticles in terms of shape size and color.
Since you posted this in the lounge I don't know what you want to put it on? But if its a pistol the two best choices are the RMR06 and RMR07 which are adjustable with either a 3.25 or 6moa dot. I have found in many thousands of rounds the RMR06 is probably the best all around choice, but the RMR07 is faster at shorter ranges.
For a rifle or shotgun it is much more dependent on what you want to do with the gun. None of the choices are as good all around as the aimpoint 2moa dot, but I have been pretty happy using an RM09 on an AK.
With a little more info on your use I will be happy to revise my recommendations.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
On this I have way too much experience in learning what works best. The most basic overview would be that they come in three variations one which does not take batteries and two which do, one you can adjust the brightness and one you can't. And within that you have different reticles in terms of shape size and color.
Since you posted this in the lounge I don't know what you want to put it on? But if its a pistol the two best choices are the RMR06 and RMR07 which are adjustable with either a 3.25 or 6moa dot. I have found in many thousands of rounds the RMR06 is probably the best all around choice, but the RMR07 is faster at shorter ranges.
For a rifle or shotgun it is much more dependent on what you want to do with the gun. None of the choices are as good all around as the aimpoint 2moa dot, but I have been pretty happy using an RM09 on an AK.
With a little more info on your use I will be happy to revise my recommendations.

Thanks for the info! This will probably go on a Glock 45. I really like the RMR06 so far.

========================

NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you want an RMR06 or RMR07 period. Pick what you like. If your likely ranges are closer the 07 is better, but if you have any longer range use an 06 is best.

Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
quote:
you want an RMR06 or RMR07 period. Pick what you like. If your likely ranges are closer the 07 is better, but if you have any longer range use an 06 is best.

Awesome! Thanks for the help!

========================

NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Get the RMR 2.0 for use on pistols. The 1.0 RMRs develop power source problems with pistol recoil.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Get the RMR 2.0 for use on pistols. The 1.0 RMRs develop power source problems with pistol recoil.

How do I know if it is a 2.0 or 1.0? Are you talking about second generation?

========================

NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Guys we have different areas for a reason. Please post in the appropriate section, this doesn't belong in the lounge.

Moved.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rigby470
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Guys we have different areas for a reason. Please post in the appropriate section, this doesn't belong in the lounge.

Moved.

Sorry about that. Since it didn't directly involve a specific "SIG or other pistol" is the reason I posted it in the Lounge, which says it is "For just about anything on your mind. . ."

========================

NRA Range Officer
NRA Life Member

posted Hide Post
With persistent rumors of Trijicon sealed emitter optic release, I wouldn't buy anything for a week. The speculations being this week's release at the NRAAM, all you need to do is wait till Friday. If nothing happens, then, as mentioned, RM06 or 07. I myself prefer the larger dot for almost anything, but really can't quantify the performance difference between the two well enough.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
quote:

Yes, second generation has a modified power source design. It is not vulnerable to recoil. I have four RMRs. I decided I wanted battery free units for my applications. I have three RM04s and an RM08g. I like them but in the direct light the reticle washes out. So if I look through the window at a light fixture, The yellow dot or green triangle disappear. I doubt I'll do much shooting in that condition though. Overall, the RMR is a superior design and very rugged. It holds zero perfectly. Watch out for Chinese copies. They are very close in appearance but terrible performers.

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GataGunner
posted Hide Post
The Aimpoint ACRO just came out if you don't have your heart set on an RMR.

Posts: 64 | Registered: January 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GataGunner:

And have deep pockets.

Posts: 604 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBP55:
quote:
Originally posted by GataGunner:

And have deep pockets.

Trying to decide about optics as well for my SIG M17. Looks like the Acro will be about $100 more than the RMR. That difference is further reduced by the cost difference in mounting plates. The Acro plate is around $50.

Michael

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mdblanton,

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rigby470:
quote:

Second generation will specifically call out "Type 2" at retailers. If not assume it's Type 1

They can be identified in photos by having two prongs in the battery compartment instead of 1

Type 1 on the left, only 1 battery prong and less tensioning the battery in place. Type 2 on the right, prongs on both sides of the battery and the star-shaped center.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That difference is further reduced by the cost difference in mounting plates.

Who besides springer makes an M17 RMR plate? They list at $45.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I decided I wanted battery free units for my applications

I'm not sure what you application is so this is not a criticism of that and your choice. But based on lots of testing you don't want a battery free unit for either competition or carry. There are simply way too many common circumstances where the system doesn't work well enough.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I decided I wanted battery free units for my applications

I'm not sure what you application is so this is not a criticism of that and your choice. But based on lots of testing you don't want a battery free unit for either competition or carry. There are simply way too many common circumstances where the system doesn't work well enough.

Not using them for either. These are for piggybacking on ACOGs. I didn't want to rely on a battery if none were available.

posted Hide Post
I've been issued an ACOG with RMR mounted on top for a few years. The RMR was far better than the Docter sight we used to have on them, but our RMRs are the ones that aren't adjustable, and that's a problem for me. When you go into a dark room and activate your white light, because the RMR is automatically adjusted to the ambient light in the room behind your flashlight, it gets washed out and you can't see it in your illuminated beam. If we had the adjustable one, we'd be fine. I bought an MRO this deployment and have been very happy with the adjustability. I will say, look at the Leupold Deltapoint, too. A lot of people are swapping to them over the RMR. The biggest advantage I see is replacing the battery from the top without having to remove the entire unit and re-zero, just to be sure you have a fresh battery.

Posts: 67 | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
That difference is further reduced by the cost difference in mounting plates.

Who besides springer makes an M17 RMR plate? They list at $45.

My mistake, was looking at a different item when I was thinking about plate costs.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post