SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger pistols compared: SR9 vs Security9 vs American Pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger pistols compared: SR9 vs Security9 vs American Pistol Login/Join 
posted
After having seen pics and read info on these three on Ruger's website, I was wondering if any one is more durable than the other. Anyone here in the know on Ruger polymer-framed pistols that could share their experiences? AR Magazine had an article within the last couple of months on either the SR9 or the Security9 (not certain which one) and commented that the American Pistol would be more durable or something along those lines… Anyone still have that particular mag to clarify that?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
My take away after range time with the RAP left me with the feeling it was very robust. It’s frame constructed from a dense polymer formulation quite capable of managing the hottest of +P loads. I felt it was the “Kalashnikov” of 9mm pistols. I have not handled a security 9 so I can’t contrast or compare the two...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
To me the Security 9 shows more commonality with the SR series than the RAP even though the S9's trigger action is more like the American's long DA pull and reset. I've never been much of a fan of the SR9. I thought the now-discontinued budget 9E feels and operates better than the SR that it's based off of, with generally a cleaner trigger. The Security 9, even with its hammer action, continues that trend. The RAP to me is indeed more stout and robust than any of the SR-based guns. Because of my puny hands I don't particularly care for the full size, but the compact is pretty sweet to me. And it shoots nicely, too. The RAPs don't sell very well, but they really deserve more attention than what they're currently getting.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Ruger RAP series pistols were demonized by U-Tube reviewers which translated into going negative thus generating viewers equals cash flow. I am not a Ruger person but I acquired a RAP9 out of curiosity. The short answer over seven thousand rounds fired with out a failure to feed-chamber-fire and eject. On par with my examples of the Glock Gen3 and S&W MP9 Gen1. I then also acquired a RAP45.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a Security 9 primarily for the price point. It turned out to have an absolutely dynamite trigger and is a really concealable 16 shot 9mm. Weight loaded is just about right for any good OWB holster. I am getting better sights for it from Ruger and it has become one of my favorite packing guns. Between it and an LC9s I have all my 9mm carry covered.would recommend either for EDC. Either shoots better for me than the SR 9, no experience with the American and probably won't be getting any.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys. I'm actually leaning toward getting the American Pistol but would like to at least handle one first. The couple gun shops around here unfortunately don't have one in stock. Maybe the next gun show will be a rewarding experience.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sportsman’s Warehouse has the Securty 9 for $299 on sale. I’m kind of tempted...

Posts: 716 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually think the SR9 series is the best of Ruger's current line up. The American pistol was introduced to be a more professional grade pistol to compete with the likes of Glock and M&P. The American is clearly more stout and heavier than the SR but not sure if that really makes it more durable or better in the long run. Based on the lower than desired sales I think it is clear that Ruger semiauto customers are more interested in low price. The introduction of the sub $300 Security 9 and EC9s seems to be an acknowledgement of that.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
AI was wondering if any one is more durable than the other.

The American is very beefy. MUCH more durable than the others.

The Security 9 is based off the LCP. It is a very light duty pistol.

The SR9 is a solid choice.

The SR9 and American are solid pistols.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I'm a ruger guy but mostly their revolvers. I've picked up a few because of the price but put them back down when I felt the triggers. Not horrible, but not good.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot get over how much I loved the Ruger P-93 (and even the P-94). I was an idiot in my early years and sold the P93....

My vote: the Ruger American in 9mm - it reminds me of the P-93 (I wrote love letters to that P-93, just like an old country song).

Posts: 559 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an SR .45 and it was a good gun. Trigger was not the greatest but got better with use. I thought it was a good bang for the $$$.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post