SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Convert from DAK to DA/SA?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convert from DAK to DA/SA? Login/Join 
posted
Is it possible/cost worthy to convert let's say a P220 from DAK to DA/SA?

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would rather go the other way....DA/SA to DAK.
I have a few DAKs and just prefer them over DA/SA's.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Is it possible/cost worthy to convert let's say a P220 from DAK to DA/SA?

Possible? Yes.
Cost worthy? If you prefer DA/SA, then yes. If you like DAK, then no.

Q

Posts: 26343 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's possible. Whether it's worth the cost depends on several factors.

If you can find someone with a DA/SA 220 who wants to convert the other way, you can trade parts and it's very cost-effective. Especially if you swap the parts yourself.

Buying all the parts new will cost $200+, if I recall when I priced it for my 229. If you can find used DA/SA parts for sale somewhere, that would be less expensive.

You may be able to sell your DAK parts to recoup some of the cost of buying the DA/SA parts. But you may also want to save them to convert it back, should you ever desire to sell or trade it away in its original configuration.

Once you've examined all of the possible options for what you would spend on the parts, you next need to consider whether you could sell your current DAK and buy a DA/SA for less than the cost of the parts. That is totally up to the market in your area.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If you happen to have a P220 whose frame looks like this, it cannot be converted to DA/SA. Note that there is no hole for the decocking lever bearing. I would be surprised if you do, but it’s not impossible, and I would check before proceeding.

The hole it’s missing is backed by the red in this photo.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not my gun, just found a good deal on Leo turn in from aim

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
It's not my gun, just found a good deal on Leo turn in from aim

It can then probably be converted to DA/SA.

The one pictured above is a P220 Carry that I talked myself into because it had the DAK trigger, and no rail or tail.

As already mentioned, though, the parts for converting to DA/SA are expensive and despite what some of us prefer, the DAK trigger was never popular and is becoming less so all the time as a consequence of SIG’s decision to no longer make it readily available.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund, are all 220 carry's without that hole?

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tankeryanker:
Sigfreund, are all 220 carry's without that hole?
Nevermind,i got mine out and it did have the hole.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
Cousin Steve, who apparently has more sigs than I, swears that if I shoot my daks more, I'll grow to love them. I. still disagree. At some point they will be converted or traded.

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say to sell it. There are lots of us out there that really like DAKs and there are a ton of DA/SAs available.

P239
M11-A1
340 M&P

Posts: 552 | Location: Okla | Registered: August 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I decided to pass on it, if it was 50 bucks or so for the parts then it woulda been worth it. For anyone interested aim has some DAK 220's for 400 bucks

Banned
posted Hide Post
I have two DAKs, a P220 and a P229. The trigger on the 220 is fantastic. I instantly fell in love with it as soon as I dry fired it the first time. The 229 doesn't have as nice a trigger, but it's a new gun, so I'm hoping it smooths up with time. I have a NYPD DAO trade in that I ended up converting to TDA. I didn't like the non DAK DAO trigger at all.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2010Challenger:
I didn't like the non DAK DAO trigger at all.

I prefer the DAK to the old style DAO myself although I used and carried the latter for several years before the introduction of the DAK. Something to be aware of about the NYPD guns, though, is that the DAO P226 overrun I purchased was equipped with the heavier “red paint” DAK mainspring. That pushed the trigger pull weight to over 13(!) pounds. Although I have no objection to using hardware to help prevent so-called “software” (people) problems, making the trigger so heavy as to make proper trigger control very difficult, especially for novice shooters, is more than a step too far.

Changing to the DAK trigger mechanism in that NYPD contract gun dropped the pull weight to what’s normal for DAK pistols.

6.4/93.6

— Plato