SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 recall/upgrade information from CS
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 recall/upgrade information from CS Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
When the people at the FedEx store saw the mailing label they knew exactly what it was and they knew exactly how to handle it. I didn't have to declare what it was ,they knew. No one freaked out. Turn around time was a little over a week. As far as recalls go this was the easiest and smoothest recall I have ever dealt with. An example would be with the kiddie fire extinguishers, where I have been notified that my replacement fire extinguisher is out of stock.

Posts: 1241 | Location: OHIO | Registered: December 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigwheeler:
Unfortunately, I work monday through friday dayshift. I'm hoping they can ship it to my work.

I tried to get them to. They won't (it is specified in the e-mail), nor will they ship it to a FedEx facility for holding. They will ship it to a FFL, at which you may have to pay for a transfer. This is very irksome. I don't know of any legal reason for it. Ruger had no problem with sending a returned gun to a UPS location.

The strange thing is that I originally registered mine by calling CS and the rep advised that it would not be an issue shipping it to the PD. I'm not going to pay an FFL transfer fee or lose a day of work over the process.

Posts: 255 | Location: Oregon | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BamaCav
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Unfortunately, I work monday through friday dayshift. I'm hoping they can ship it to my work.

I tried to get them to. They won't (it is specified in the e-mail), nor will they ship it to a FedEx facility for holding. They will ship it to a FFL, at which you may have to pay for a transfer. This is very irksome. I don't know of any legal reason for it. Ruger had no problem with sending a returned gun to a UPS location.

The strange thing is that I originally registered mine by calling CS and the rep advised that it would not be an issue shipping it to the PD. I'm not going to pay an FFL transfer fee or lose a day of work over the process.

I picked mine up at the FedEx office. After they try to deliver, FedEx will leave you a notice with the time your package will be back at the FedEx office and available for pick-up.

Posts: 126 | Location: AL | Registered: December 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaCav:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I picked mine up at the FedEx office. After they try to deliver, FedEx will leave you a notice with the time your package will be back at the FedEx office and available for pick-up.

Yep, my local fedex is open til 7 pm M-F so if I was not able to be here on the last day (3rd attempt) I had plans to take a 35 min ride and pick it up. But after 2 more days it is shipped back to Sig Frown

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Still no word from them for mine.

I got my "thanks for registering" on Oct 3.
Got the "thanks for your patience, keep waiting" on Nov 9.
Got my shipping label on Dec 14 & had it dropped at FedEx on Dec 15.
Package was delivered in Exeter this morning.

Just got my work complete return shipment email. 3 day turnaround in Exeter.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick_Perry:
They received mine back yesterday. Hoping to have it back by the end of January.

I'll let everyone know when it is returned to me.

They received mine on Monday 12/18. They notified FedEx to ship it back to me on 12/20. It shipped yesterday 12/21 and will be here on 12/23 (FedEx 2nd Day Air). That is a quick turnaround!

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I took my P320CA-TACOPS to the FedEx Shipping Center in Tempe, AZ 12/11 @ 3:00pm. It was back in my hands 12/21 @ 12:05pm.

Now it is off to the range to "work in" the new parts.
I was surprised they sent me a can and a SF light though!

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
UPDATE to my original post - New measurments (using same measurement criteria as before) in bold

Sent 12/13 returned 12/22.
Early P320 compact with the relief cuts in the slide.

Before: After:
Trigger pull (avg 5 pulls w/Lyman digital gauge) = 6 lb + 5.5 oz w/crisp break - 7 lb 7oz w/crisp break
Rearward slide travel required for disconnector to reset = 10 mm - 36.17 mm Eek
Trigger reset distance = 3.23 mm - 3.03 mm

Additional comments after voluntary recall;

Prior to sending the pistol in ALL sliding parts had been polished so this may have been why the prior avg. trigger pull number was lower.

Attempting to dry fire the pistol with a magazine and/or snap cap installed is now pretty much an effort in futility.
It can be done but the fine line between the slide locking back (mag installed) and/or the snap cap ejecting and the disconnector resetting is extremely small and the recoil spring tension makes it difficult to maintain the precise slide movement to allow this.

It appears that as well as the parts mentioned in several other posts, the entire sear block assembly has been replaced on mine as well as the striker block, the trigger bar and the magazine disconnect bar (don't know the correct term).
Edit: It is the same trigger bar as it was sent in with

It now seems that the pistol might be able to be fired very slightly out of battery.
When the barrel hood is just starting to drop away from the slide (i.e just out of battery) a pencil inserted into the barrel will fire forward when the trigger is pulled.
This will require a bit more investigation on my part.

Edit: Retested this using the same technique as in my original post and it appears that the pistol operates the same as when it was sent in.
If it could fire out of battery now it also would have been capable of doing so prior to the update.

Overall impression;
All work appears to have been done very professionally and in a timely manner.
VERY disappointed in the new, longer distance to reset the disconnector but I can live with that.
Will need to see if a primed (only) case can fire with the slide slightly out of battery - If so the pistol either goes back to SIG or goes away (with disclosure).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve 22X,

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both my two compacts (45 and 9) came back yesterday and I took them to the range this morning. The triggers on both are better now than they were. The double click is gone and I agree with one of the other posters that the reset is longer now but at least it’s very positive so it won’t be an issue for me. I had a great time at the range with both today.

I’d like to give kudos to Sig Sauer for the way they handled this recall.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Sent mine in last Friday the 15th and received an em that the pistol was shipped back to me ystrdy. ETA is Wednesday. Awesome turn around time.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A big thank-you to Steve. At last measured values of before and after. Other reports are subjective and rely on memory.

All in all, it is most likely that P320 is worse after "fixing." Once again giving weight to the adage to avoid purchase of a pistol until it has been sold for three years (and any latent defects uncovered). Probably can get rid of accumulated P320s to those wishing a pistol "like the army's."

Looks as if the M2.0 M&P pistols (5", 4.25", and now 4") build on the reliable early versions - greatly reducing the probability of a recall.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
They received mine back yesterday. Hoping to have it back by the end of January.

I'll let everyone know when it is returned to me.

They received mine on Monday 12/18. They notified FedEx to ship it back to me on 12/20. It shipped yesterday 12/21 and will be here on 12/23 (FedEx 2nd Day Air). That is a quick turnaround!

Changed my day to 12/26 because it says Weekday delivery only with adult signature required.

That's fine, I figured it would be weeks, not days.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't count on everyone's P320 trigger behaving the same after the upgrade. It was pretty common knowledge that there were significant variations in trigger pull weight with the original P320 trigger.

The majority of people who have sent their P320s in for the upgrade have felt that the trigger pull weight was either unchanged or lighter. A few have reported heavier trigger pull weights. No doubt, this is based on recollection in most cases.

In my case, I had a modified and unmodified FCU available for comparison after my first P320 was upgraded. These two FCUs felt the same wrt trigger pull weight and action prior to the upgrade.

After the first P320 was upgraded, it had a lighter trigger pull. I could not quantitate how much lighter in the absence of a trigger gauge, but enough to be unequivocal when comparing the two pistols in dry fire, probably 1/2 lb give or take. The difference was also noticeable in live fire.

After the second P320 came back from the upgrade, there was no longer a noticeable difference in trigger pull weight between the two modified pistols, so it had gotten lighter as well.

I am one who would have welcomed a slightly heavier pull weight on the P320, so I do not necessarily regard this as an improvement. I suspect that many others would view the change as an improvement. As for the quality of the break itself, I could not detect any real difference. There was a bit of creep (less than for many other striker-fired pistols) for both the original and modified triggers.

As for reset, my 9mm compact P320 resets after a rearward slide excursion of 18-19 mm. I find it quite easy to reset the trigger while maintaining a snap cap in the chamber. I reset the trigger using my support hand in much the same way as most people take the slide off a Glock. I encircle the rear of the slide and the grip module simultaneously with my thumb under the grip tang and fingers closed over and around the rear of the slide, then walk the slide back a little by pulling back with the fingers and pushing forward with the thumb.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pblanc:
As for reset, my 9mm compact P320 resets after a rearward slide excursion of 18-19 mm. I find it quite easy to reset the trigger while maintaining a snap cap in the chamber. I reset the trigger using my support hand in much the same way as most people take the slide off a Glock. I encircle the rear of the slide and the grip module simultaneously with my thumb under the grip tang and fingers closed over and around the rear of the slide, then walk the slide back a little by pulling back with the fingers and pushing forward with the thumb.

Then there are those of us with the early compact slides that had the lightning cuts (like my own).
Your method might work fine if you only need to retract the slide 18~19 mm although I would just rack it that short distance, just like I did literally 100s of times prior to sending mine in.

Try it with the disconnector resetting at about twice that 18~19 mm distance (i.e >36 mm) when right at the ragged edge of the slide stop actuating, while working against the RSA as it nears full compression.
Although I would prefer to dry fire with a snap cap and a mag installed, in that instance it is FAR easier to just leave them out and rack the slide.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, for those who had a long lightening cut on the bottom right side of the slide, the pocket milled for the disconnector head will merge into that rout and the disconnector will not allow the trigger to reset until its head reaches the forward extent of that rout,

Whether that will be the case or not can easily be determined by examining the bottom right hand side of the slide. If there is not a long channel cut in proximity to the rear of the slide, the trigger will reset as soon as the disconnector head leaves the newly milled pocket.

The point stands: not everyone should expect that their trigger will behave the same way as yours does after the upgrade, not with regards to trigger pull weight nor slide excursion distance required for reset.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

FedEx just delivered my P320 home. 11 days from drop off at FedEx to back in my hands.
2 1/2 months, start to finish though.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

FedEx just delivered my P320 home. 11 days from drop off at FedEx to back in my hands.
2 1/2 months, start to finish though.

FedEx dropped mine off about 2 hours ago. Glad to have it back. Nice trigger. Going to shoot it tomorrow.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

FedEx dropped mine off about 2 hours ago. Glad to have it back. Nice trigger. Going to shoot it tomorrow.

Trigger feels nice on mine too with a couple dry fires. Hoping to get to the range soon too.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
Probably can get rid of accumulated P320s to those wishing a pistol "like the army's."

I couldn't care less what the US Army shoots, but I do like my P320's. I sent five back to Sig today for the upgrade. One has a right-side lightning cut, and will suffer the same reset fate as the others with the same cut, who have had the upgrade, so far as dry firing goes. I had one with a long left side lightning cut which had no change in the distance of slide travel to reset, as the left side cut doesnt have an impact on the upgrade.

If you are interested in getting rid of your 320's, let's talk.

I got the discount coupon from Sig with the last upgrade that came back...it expires in a few days. That was poorly thought out; more insult than benefit. Otherwise, the upgrade went fine.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I got the discount coupon from Sig with the last upgrade that came back...it expires in a few days. That was poorly thought out; more insult than benefit. Otherwise, the upgrade went fine.

Expiration is 2018, not 2017.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post