SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W 3rd Gen semi-auto with mild modifications
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 3rd Gen semi-auto with mild modifications Login/Join 
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted
This pistol was issued to me brand new (over 10 years ago), I was always able to shoot it well. With strict policy we weren't allowed to change anything. I originally wasn't going to purchase this gun, so to those who talked me into it. Thanks.
I personally had to change some things, so I placed a stock duty weapon next to it in the photos for comparison. Black slide is my modifications.

I changed the following-
Warren FO front and WT rear
Melonite slide and slide stop
Dehorn decocking levers - I wanted the melonite treatment on the levers also but I was unable to remove the spring and didn't want to risk breaking it.
745 magazine release
Magazine disconnect safety removed
Trigger job -
In stock form SA 6.7 lbs and DA 12 lbs
After work SA 4.7 lbs and DA 7.8 lbs.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
That looks awesome! I can't wait to buy one of the CHP 4006. How many rounds do you think you fired through your duty 4006 in 10+ years? Who did you have do the trigger job and Melonite the slide?

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
That looks awesome! I can't wait to buy one of the CHP 4006. How many rounds do you think you fired through your duty 4006 in 10+ years? Who did you have do the trigger job and Melonite the slide?

Probably a documented 8,000 and maybe 5,000 undocumented. I would feel safe to say about 13K. But I would maintain the gun, all maintenance was performed by me. I generally would use other DA/SA guns in training like a Beretta or Sig and then there was also Glocks, M&P's too. So for the decade, it's conservative on rounds for a duty gun and maintenance was a priority.

I performed the trigger job, I gained a lot of knowledge on this particular gun by doing hundreds of annual inspections and complete tear downs for wear and parts replacement.

Melonite QPQ- I went with a large vendor that coats automotive parts/firearms. Not sure I would ever have this process done again. I'm going to ask them about a small issue so I don't want to name them until this issue is resolved. The heat is pretty intense during this process which I'm guessing could cause issues. During the sight install the metal appeared to chip a little. Lesson learned, if I were to do it again it would be Ion-bond from now on (much lower temps). Plus I had to remove a lot of debris from the firing pin channel and it was a complete pain in the ass. I went with Melonite after the positive experiences with M&P pistols.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
Ok thanks for the info. Do you have any idea what the average CHP officer shoots per year? I'm trying to figure out on average what these trade in 4006 might have on them.

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
You're welcome for the info.

4006's should see a minimum of 600 rounds a year.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
The only .40 I ever really liked was a 4006 TSW I let go. I did a caliber consolidation back when ammo was hard. I wouldn't mind having one again.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
As far as S&W 3rd Gens, the only ones I owned are 4013TSW, 4516, 4506. It's a shame S&W doesn't make limited runs of at least the 3913. That's a cult favorite like the SIG P239.

Being an all steel gun I wonder what the service life of the main components, frame, slide, barrel are on the 4006?

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being an all steel gun I wonder what the service life of the main components, frame, slide, barrel are on the 4006?

Nuclear war?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Nuclear war?

I have to ask S&W, but these guns are very robust. I don't see any signs of excessive wear on those parts at all.

2 things in 13 years of seeing the 4006 and 4006TSW in service that were issues constantly. 1. Magazines, those with the yellow follower seemed to have weaker springs, some wouldn't lock the slide back reliably or would cause feeding issues. Blue followers had no issues at all, but they are challenge to load 11 rounds into. 2. The right side decocker coming off. This is the first thing I modified on mine. I put a stout spring underneath the plunger that takes considerable force to remove.

I can't remember a time I had an issue with my 4006TSW. It ran on a steady diet of 180gr. duty ammo and is extremely accurate and reliable.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I always wonder, what holds the grip in place? Is it like the SIG's E2, just snap on?

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I always wonder, what holds the grip in place? Is it like the SIG's E2, just snap on?

Kinda, the grip also hold the hammer spring cup and you have a grip pin that is tapped in after you snap the grip on.

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Bang, bang, Click

The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Beautiful 4006TSW. I like the rear sight. It is weapons grade stupidity that the company posing as s&w doesnt offer some of these for sale today. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish they were 9s, but I will try to buy one soon. Will look good next to my OSHP Beretta in the safe and these third gen Smiths are really growing on me.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2736 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
You flash those pics to the right people and S&W may just decide to produce the 3rd Gens again.

Simply gorgeous, and so needed in these days when most pistols look so similar. Wink

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jamaicanj
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!
Glock Cert. Armorer & GSSF Member

Posts: 707 | Location: Florida | Registered: October 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
You flash those pics to the right people and S&W may just decide to produce the 3rd Gens again.

I wish that is all it would take.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I like the 3rd Gen Smiths.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I want one of those CHP 4006 TSW. I don't know why. I just do.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my 3rd Gen 4054 S&W.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

I have to ask S&W, but these guns are very robust. I don't see any signs of excessive wear on those parts at all.

2 things in 13 years of seeing the 4006 and 4006TSW in service that were issues constantly. 1. Magazines, those with the yellow follower seemed to have weaker springs, some wouldn't lock the slide back reliably or would cause feeding issues. Blue followers had no issues at all, but they are challenge to load 11 rounds into. 2. The right side decocker coming off. This is the first thing I modified on mine. I put a stout spring underneath the plunger that takes considerable force to remove.

I can't remember a time I had an issue with my 4006TSW. It ran on a steady diet of 180gr. duty ammo and is extremely accurate and reliable.[/QUOTE]

Beautiful work. I just ordered one of these from Summit Gun Broker.

Could you tell me what king of spring you used to upgrade the decocker? I have heard several other people complain about the right side coming loose.

Also who did your trigger work? Thanks.

Posts: 163 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post