SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hoppe's 9 bore cleaning solvent - how long does it last?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoppe's 9 bore cleaning solvent - how long does it last? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
I have a large amount of Hoppe's 9 bore cleaning solvent in a glass reagent jar with a glass ground glass stopper.

It's about 3 1/2 years old. I have used it to soak barrels in the past.

Would it still be good? It's not more viscous and seems the same color as before.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using the same bottle for over 8 years, it still works. Just ordered a new one since the old is about out.

I keep trying the new type of cleaners but seem to end up going back to #9, plus its cheaper.

Posts: 113 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoppes is mostly alcohol and kerosene. Kerosene will separate from water but the alcohol will absorb it. That said, if the jar was sealed, you're probably fine.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
Hoppes is mostly alcohol and kerosene. Kerosene will separate from water but the alcohol will absorb it. That said, if the jar was sealed, you're probably fine.

I wouldn't say it was exactly sealed. The glass stopper rather seals the bottle, but I don't think it's that tight.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should be just fine.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I've probably used some that was 20-30-40 years old, but I can't be certain.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I've probably used some that was 20-30-40 years old, but I can't be certain.

Well, that does it then!

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The batches I use for immersion soaking have been in use for possibly 10 years. I periodically top off the bottles.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used bottles made in the 1950's. Pretty much no expiration date

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eau De Hoppes.... My favorite scent. I found a small bottle in an old Outers cleaning kit once that looked 1960s.
Worked (and smelled) fine!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I have used bottles that are 35+ years old, no problems.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I still use a large bottle I purchased in the late 70's.
Works like a charm.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I have some from the late 80's, still going strong.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Eau De Hoppes.... My favorite scent. I found a small bottle in an old Outers cleaning kit once that looked 1960s.
Worked (and smelled) fine!

Well here you go: https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-...shener/dp/B01AYEJK1Q

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post