SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help needed deciding what do about grip options on Early P229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed deciding what do about grip options on Early P229 Login/Join 
Picture of johnnyringo8769
posted
Well as some of you know...i have a very early P229 that i got almost 18 months ago now and still i am struggling to find the grips that fit my huge hands best...i really want a set of sig sauer branded Nill's which are like hens teeth...i bet i have tried half a dozen sets and the only one i really like other than the Nill's are the Hogue Made Sig Sauer Branded clear Aluminum ones and Maybe even the G10 ones...i have not been able to find the Sig Sauer G10's one either...any suggestions?...i have been considering having a set of the clear aluminum ones Cerakoted to match the gun...i would never thought this would be so hard to do...thanks in advance God Bless,John

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. Our Military
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....

"This is what the Lord says: 'Stand at the crossroads and look; Ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.' " (Jer. 6:16)

Posts: 106 | Location: Jamestown NY 14701 | Registered: December 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps counterintuitive but have you tried E2s? I have large hands but actually prefer these.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Your best option would be to get the white logo Aluminum for 60 bucks on fleabay and get them refinished in black.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well that is my thinking too..any suggestions about where to get the finished?...last i checked it would cost was 60.00...appreciate the response...the best price for the white ones is 75.00 shipped from Ebay
the E2's do not feel right in my hands...but thank u for the idea about them...

1. Jesus Christ
2. Our Military

The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....

"This is what the Lord says: 'Stand at the crossroads and look; Ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.' " (Jer. 6:16)

Posts: 106 | Location: Jamestown NY 14701 | Registered: December 17, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just a month or so ago, fleabay had them for $60.
The last time CCR did it for me in Cera-Hide, the cost was $25.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All the options you listed other than the wood are gonna be slim. If you want girth, you gotta go Hogue overmolded.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well i agree that slim grips will not help...the factory grips bite me where the cutout in the back is and they are very thin in my hands...the Hogue Clear Aluminum ones feel amazing...best feeling set of grips i have tried and had a set of the Nill with the stippling on my P220 i had as well..i loved thise Nills and thought the ones i am hoping to find would feel as good as the last set...i had no idea u could get the Aluminum ones Cerakoted for less than 60.00...thank u for that info...i have to agree than the Rubber Hogues feel great but when i IWB carry...they always make my shirt stick to it and defeat the purpose...God Bless,John

1. Jesus Christ
2. Our Military

Unknown....

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
.i had no idea u could get the Aluminum ones Cerakoted for less than 60.00.

No, the white grips sold for $60 on fleabay. CCR can do their Cera-Hide on the grips for $25.

Q

posted Hide Post
I understood that the total was not 60.00..i have looked for the hogue clear ones and best price I found was 79.99 shipped...i did find and bought on here a nice used set of DAO Nill P229 grips...i know mine is Sa/Da...but with some CNC work...that might just work...just wish I could have found a set of the sig sauer logo Nill grips...
God Bless,John
I will post some pics once they arrive..

1. Jesus Christ
2. Our Military

Unknown....

posted Hide Post
I really like the Hogue G10. I don't know if the current Legion grips would fit, but they're good, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have G10 Piranha grips on the 226 and 229.

Peter

Posts: 89 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
johnnyringo8769,
You do not have your location in your profile so I do not know where you are.

I have found the Hogue wood grips without checkering to be quite hand filling.

When Hogue checkers the grips they get thinner

If you are located in the Central Florida area, I would be glad to meet with you and let you handle or even shoot this one if you like

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
johnnyringo8769,
You do not have your location in your profile so I do not know where you are.

I have found the Hogue wood grips without checkering to be quite hand filling.

When Hogue checkers the grips they get thinner

If you are located in the Central Florida area, I would be glad to meet with you and let you handle or even shoot this one if you like

well thank u for the very kind offer...i am here in Western NY state...been to Florida once a very long time ago..back in 1995...have a old friend who used to work up here who lives in Jacksonville area and my old roommate and his little brother live more in the center of Florida as he is the head groundskeeper of some very nice golf course...God Bless,John

1. Jesus Christ
2. Our Military

Unknown....

posted Hide Post
well i was able to get a like new set of Karl Nill grips...they are for a DAO P228/P229...they will not fit without modification...they are without a doubt my favorite grips for the Sig Sauer...God Bless,John

1. Jesus Christ
2. Our Military

Unknown....

posted Hide Post
johnnyringo, I shot you an email. I've got an P229 Elite that I took the grips off to replace them with Hogue G10s which the G10s are thinner. I'd send you the original set if you think they might be of interest. They're Hogue and checkered halfway down w/ SIG logo, to my experience are a bit larger in circumference.

Here's a link to PSA for a quick look at the pistol w/ original grips attached.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...tol-229r-9-ase1.html

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1926 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well a very kind member here Soflaac gave me a very beautiful set of Sig Sauer Factory Wood grips...it is one of the kindest gestures i have ever received...i can not wait to install them....i want to thank all of u again for the help...God Bless,John
i will post some pics once i get some grip screws...mine are just too short...
it now looks like i have two great options available to me...i love it

1. Jesus Christ
2. Our Military

Unknown....

posted Hide Post
well sorry i have been away so long
well spent close to month in and out of the hospital starting in August last year and almost died just before halloween and in Novemeber
but thankfully it has been a very very long road and still not back to myself but have some news...
i will get some pics together and post them soon
just great to be back
stay safe out there
God Bless all of you
John

1. Jesus Christ
2. Our Military

Unknown....

Picture of WJR
posted Hide Post
John,

Glad you are better. I look forward to your new post and news.

P.S. - your signature is one of my favorites.

WJR

Posts: 1823 | Location: Birmingham, AL USA | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post