SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up another T-Series Browning Hi Power...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up another T-Series Browning Hi Power... Login/Join 
posted
I have a bit of a weakness for the Browning Hi Power. I don't like them as shooters much, but I love the way they look and I love the history and military pedigree they carry with them. Having said that, I'm very particular about which Hi Powers I buy these days. The clones do nothing for me, nor do the later cast FN/Browning models. I don't even buy the Portuguese assembled models. The newer "black" painted finish or the nickel and chrome models don't interest me either. Nope, they have to be the old forged models only from Belgium with the blued steel and wood grips. While Hi Powers from this era are starting to cost some money, they are also always going up in value. Unlike other guns, I don't buy "shooter grade" Hi Powers either, mainly because I don't really shoot them much. The only Hi Power I like to shoot is my Browning GP Competition, which is a different animal altogether.

The Browning Hi Power is the most iconic 9mm of all time, in my opinion, and still my favorite due to its military pedigree and sleek looks. It was the last handgun designed by John M Browning. Development started in the early 1920's when FN commissioned John Browning to design a new military firearm. The criteria of the design, among other things, was the ability of the pistol to hold at least 10 rounds. The fact that the 1911 patents had not yet expired meant that JMB had to design an almost entirely new pistol. Browning built a couple prototypes for the pistol and finally filed one for patent in 1923. It used a new staggered magazine designed by Dieudonne Saive. Sadly, Browning died in 1926 before the patent was even granted, let alone having finalized the design. To make a very long story short, Saive took over the development of the pistol and after numerous changes to the design once the 1911 patents expired, the gun's design was finally completed in 1934 and ready for production by FN in Belgium. The design featured a magazine disconnect, an internal extractor, and 13 rounds of capacity. That made the Hi Power the first hi-cap 9mm auto, hence the name "Hi Power".

The pistol was first adopted for use in the Belgian military in 1935 and from then on, the Hi Power also became known as the P35. The gun was heavily used by both sides during World War II and saw military use all over the world in the decades to follow. As with many pistols in production so long, the model included numerous variants and even underwent some design changes along the way. The Hi Power was offered with many finishes over the years, but was always a full carbon steel pistol that featured a forged slide and frame for most of its life. In recent decades, production changed to casting instead of forging to make the pistol capable of handling the 40S&W round.

I bought this one because the condition is about as mint as it was the day it left Belgium in the late 1960's. The T series Browning Hi Powers from the mid to late 1960's are widely regarded as the high water mark for the model by many people. It still had the workmanship of the earlier Hi Powers, but it also had a nicer bluing than models made before it. True to that, this gun has a beautiful semi glossy blued finish, which is definitely a step up over my Hi Powers from the earlier part of the decade. As you can see in the group picture below, its not my only T Series. In fact, my other one is just as nice. However, being that the model is now discontinued and gems like this will become harder and harder to find, I figured "what the hell". Value will continue to rise as more years go by.

Thanks for reading. Please enjoy the pics and share your thoughts...

Here it is with my other BHP's. I have thinned the heard a bit, but kept all the collectible examples.

Left to right: 1960, 1962, 1968, 1969, 1972 Sport, 1981 GP Competition.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
My, my...what a nice specimen to add to your collection (regardless of the fact that you thinned it!)

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
My first HP is like your 62, internal extractor with no takedown depression, imo the most esthetic version made. I have seen a couple others like it, one with revolver sights that I shouldn't have passed on.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a fine collection.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
real nice collection--I have always thought hi-powers were nice looking and always believed from reading they were pretty accurate shooters.

Posts: 31 | Location: grove city ohio | Registered: August 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree about the classic character of the HP. They are such beautiful pistols. I also believe they are among the best feeling and pointing pistols made. Thanks for the great pics and the story.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by j38:
I agree about the classic character of the HP. They are such beautiful pistols. I also believe they are among the best feeling and pointing pistols made. Thanks for the great pics and the story.

Jerry

I would agree that they point very well and feel great in hand.

I used to shoot Hi Powers a lot. These days, I look at them more as investments, which is why I only buy certain models. The GP Competition is ugly, but it shoot great. Much better trigger than a standard BHP.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
My '68 is not as stunning as any of your fine examples but regardless it's one of the last guns I would part with. It's an awfully nice shooter that just begs to be used.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Stunning collection!

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Looking at your Image Shack page, your photography is fantastic, beautiful work.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Stunning collection , I only have one ,all I could afford.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Very nice addition to your fine collection. The charts show the T series cut off at s/n T26100 but that's apparently not correct. It seems there was a conditional run of more T series after that SN. Mine is in the 29,000 and I've seen them, like your new one with higher SN's. Anyway, a really nice clean pistol.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I wish I liked shooting Hi Powers better. Like you, I love the pistol, and they are beauties. But they don't fit my hand all that well.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful collection - especially that GP Competition. Eek

As sad as it is to say, I don't think I've ever shot a Hi Power.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
beautiful assemblage. I appeciate them aesthetically, cause I can't shoot 'em for shinola.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful collection. Thanks for sharing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got my first one. Somehow, I think there will be more.

Parkerized 1989 Model III with commander-style hammer, I did my due diligence and found out assembled in Portugal has zero impact on QC. Had an unbelievable trigger. So much so it also has hammer follow on occasion, so off to my local gunsmith who checked everything out and reassembled the trigger group, hammer, and sear PROPERLY, including a range test to ensure it is good to go.I shot it last week for the first time. Lovely, and the trigger is super-crisp and right at 6 lbs.

Runs like a top now with just amazing ergonomics. It is at Novak's getting new night sights Just got 3 more Mec-Gar magazines today and some Hogue Kingswood grips.

For me, it will be a shooter. I love single action and it points and shoots like a dream. And is just sexy.

I wish I got the BHP urge like 2-3 years ago. Prices are probably artificially high, but probably won't come down much.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
I just got my first one. Somehow, I think there will be more.

Parkerized 1989 Model III with commander-style hammer, I did my due diligence and found out assembled in Portugal has zero impact on QC. Had an unbelievable trigger. So much so it also has hammer follow on occasion, so off to my local gunsmith who checked everything out and reassembled the trigger group, hammer, and sear PROPERLY, including a range test to ensure it is good to go.I shot it last week for the first time. Lovely, and the trigger is super-crisp and right at 6 lbs.

Runs like a top now with just amazing ergonomics. It is at Novak's getting new night sights Just got 3 more Mec-Gar magazines today and some Hogue Kingswood grips.

For me, it will be a shooter. I love single action and it points and shoots like a dream. And is just sexy.

I wish I got the BHP urge like 2-3 years ago. Prices are probably artificially high, but probably won't come down much.

Portuguese assembled models are just as good from a quality standpoint, in my experience. They just aren’t collectible which is why I buy these.

I’ve owned several Portuguese models in the past. No problems.

posted Hide Post
No doubt bac1023. Outstanding collection!

Like I stated, this one is a pure shooter. Perhaps I'll start collecting someday, but like I also stated, I picked a bad time to get the itch.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post