SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone using the glockstore tungsten recoil spring for a G43?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using the glockstore tungsten recoil spring for a G43? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Looking for a new recoil spring assembly for my G43 and saw the tungsten version at glockstore. Anyone using one?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The spring itself is made of tungsten?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Bought one for my 42 last year. Would not cycle reliably.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I would stick with a factory spring if its a ccw gun

Tungsten is brittle. They have been known to shatter.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Tungsten...better used for making an incandescent light bulb filament. Not for recoil springs. Only itch it scratches is to satiate those fools who like having something that sounds exotic squeezed into their mundane, boring and previously utterly reliable Glocks.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the rod itself that is tungsten. Sole purpose is that it's heavier than carbon steel. Tungsten tends to be very brittle and I doubt a spring could be made from it.

http://www.glockstore.com/Tungsten-Guide-Rod-for-G43

I have a FL tungsten guide rod in my Wilson Pro (Cmdr). Wanted to approximate the weight and balance of a full size 1911.

The title of the thread is misleading. So is the GlockStore description:"Of course, the main advantage of the Tungsten Guide Rod is that the added weight helps reduce much of the felt recoil..." Given the length/diameter of the rod portion, it ain't gonna provide much extra weight or reduce much (if any) recoil.. Waste of money. I'd buy FIVE Glock OEM RSA's instead.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I made a tungsten guide for my P320 RX and it seems to reduce muzzle rise a little and the red dot settles back on target better for me. Maybe it's a placebo, but I like the extra weight and I think rapid fire follow up shots are quicker for me.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
It's the rod itself that is tungsten.

Okay; just going on the topic title.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by isthatasiginyourpocket:
I made a tungsten guide for my P320 RX and it seems to reduce muzzle rise a little and the red dot settles back on target better for me. Maybe it's a placebo, but I like the extra weight and I think rapid fire follow up shots are quicker for me.

I presume you fabricated a tungsten clone of the GrayGuns FAT rod? If so, it's considerably larger/heavier than the rod in an RSA. Also, the 1911 rod/spring setup from GrayGuns is supposed to provide less muzzle flip primarily due to the RP 1911 spring. More so than the extra weight.

Having said that, I can notice a small difference in balance point using the full-size GrayGun FAT rod (carbon steel) in my own P320 FS compared to the stock RSA. How much reduction in muzzle rise the rod itself contributes, as opposed to the 1911 springing itself, is hard to discern. I do believe that the full length tungsten rod you fabricated would indeed provide some dampening. But not a small tungsten rod in the stubby Glock RSA.

Hopefully, a poster will appear that has actually used the Glock tungsten thingy.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post