SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Hunter sight options (PICS ADDED)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Hunter sight options (PICS ADDED) Login/Join 
posted
Hello, I'm a new member and a new Sig owner both. I've jumped in recently with both feet, acquiring a SP2022 (40), P238 and this Friday I will take delivery of a P220 Hunter 10mm. I wasn't in the market for the Hunter but I was kicking around a 10mm. I saw P220 for sale locally from a private owner for under $1000.00 (Un-fired). I love the look of the gun and I'm a fan of the Kryptek pattern. Needless to say I jumped on it and I pick it up Friday.

I've read a lot of negative stories about the poor design of the adjustable rear sight. I did a specific P220 sight search here before posting. I've read elsewhere and various reviews that people either deal with multiple warranty issues or replace the sights or even replace the slide entirely. My plan is to use the gun initially "as is". I'll carry as a woods gun and I'll be hunting with it here in Michigan. I'm a long time hunter but admittedly I'm a novice to hand gun hunting. I prefer to use open sights on my guns so I don't intend on adding a red dot. Maybe I'm a bit pre-mature with my question but what options might I have with replacement sights? Is the rear sight really that bad? I do prefer an adjustable sight while experimenting with various loads but again I'm a novice to handgun hunting and techniques. I couldn't pass up the deal on this gun but I do wonder if I have some headaches in my future.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Dave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Majord,

Posts: 9 | Registered: March 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Majord:
Hello, I'm a new member and a new Sig owner both. I've jumped in recently with both feet, acquiring a SP2022 (40), P238 and this Friday I will take delivery of a P220 Hunter 10mm. I wasn't in the market for the Hunter but I was kicking around a 10mm. I saw P220 for sale locally from a private owner for under $1000.00 (Un-fired). I love the look of the gun and I'm a fan of the Kryptek pattern. Needless to say I jumped on it and I pick it up Friday.

I've read a lot of negative stories about the poor design of the adjustable rear sight. I did a specific P220 sight search here before posting. I've read elsewhere and various reviews that people either deal with multiple warranty issues or replace the sights or even replace the slide entirely. My plan is to use the gun initially "as is". I'll carry as a woods gun and I'll be hunting with it here in Michigan. I'm a long time hunter but admittedly I'm a novice to hand gun hunting. I prefer to use open sights on my guns so I don't intend on adding a red dot. Maybe I'm a bit pre-mature with my question but what options might I have with replacement sights? Is the rear sight really that bad? I do prefer an adjustable sight while experimenting with various loads but again I'm a novice to handgun hunting and techniques. I couldn't pass up the deal on this gun but I do wonder if I have some headaches in my future.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Dave

I have had the all Nitron version since last November, and now have perhaps 1500 rounds through it, about 50% factory and the other 50% reduced power reloads. Mine has the same adjustable rear sight but a Siglite night sight front. So far, neither has budged at all from dead center, which is where they belong on this gun. I have raised the rear a couple of notches. I really like the sight picture, and my only real objection to the rear is its sharp corners/edges, which I eased ever so slightly with some fine emory paper. When I got the gun, I had read stories of the rear sight coming loose, moving, etc, but so far mine has not. My plan if that happens is to replace the set screw with a pointed or cupped end one (both already standing by), drill a tiny dent in the dovetail recess, and loctite the screw.

I have not seen any replacement rear available for that slide. I would want to keep the slide, or at least one that is made for the 10mm. The way the gun is designed/weighted, it handles the highest power Underwood ammo with ease.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the reply. It's encouraging and the sight maintenance tips are very helpful.

Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
It's the same sights that Sig has used for years on the Stainless Match Elite and I've never read of anything bad happening with them. I think you got a hold of a bad review. Don't worry about the sights. I've never had trouble with them.

I believe the sights are made by LPA Sights in Italy and are in fact quite well known to be quality sights.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks and again encouraging. Unfortunately it was multiple reviews from various formats. That said, I use Internet information as a reference tool and certainly not as absolute fact. Every situation is different but I am looking for a base line opinion. As I said I'm using the gun as is and I'm extremely excited to pick it up tomorrow. I'll be certain to get some pics posted. I appreciate the replys.

posted Hide Post
I just picked it up today. This is a Hoss and I love everything about it! I have been on a Sig buying frenzy lately but they all fit me like a glove. I thought seriously about a Glock 20 but this came along and I couldn't pass it up. I am blown away.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hey, I have the DA/SA two tone 10mm with these sights and haven't had any problems at all...

Well except for the self induced 10mm shortage. Big Grin

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wild looking 10mm. Congrats. I hope to pick one up one day.

Posts: 249 | Location: Westchester County NY | Registered: September 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures--very sharp! Congrats!

I have the Stainless SAO--love it!

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post