SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Aluminum Framed Presentation M17s For The Guards Of The Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum Framed Presentation M17s For The Guards Of The Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Guy on the left has a pistol.

So he does. Either my memory has failed me (quite possible) or that is a change from many years ago when I was stationed in the area.

Thanks.
No worries, I had to google the photos since it has been years since I've ventured to DC to see them in person.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
quote:
Originally posted by cyberiad:
I think it would look better without the extended magazine

Agreed. It throws off the sleek look. Still, very, very cool.

I really doubt any of these pistols will ever see a live round in them. I don’t get the extended mag either

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Ehh, I don't know what to feel about this. They seem almost TOO blinged out to me. Something like Saddam would strut around with on his hip.

Current M9 used by the 3rd Infantry Guards.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Ehh, I don't know what to feel about this. They seem almost TOO blinged out to me. Something like Saddam would strut around with on his hip.

I feel the exact same way about this.

SIG should've tried in some way to make it appear a little more traditional than blingy.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have liked to see them done with the X-carry grip. I am not crazy about the standard roundish grip.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I do like the no-rail look, but I also think they should've made it a full dust cover. I too think that it would've been nicer had SIG gone to the X-frame grip but since the military only uses the standard grip it's understandable that they have what they have. The grip insets are a classy touch if in a Ruger kind of way (yes, I know the 290 had side grip "inserts", but all I think is 'SP101/GP100' when I see these and besides, Ruger has been doing it a hell of a lot longer than SIG ever had).

What I don't like is the extended magazine, round count symbolism notwithstanding. Like the regular M17 the execution of the magazine base just looks silly in that 'tacticool internet warrior' kind of way. If the guns ARE ever loaded in the guard's service, I don't think that four extra rounds will make any difference in the greater scheme of this service. Instead it's just dumb looking and detracts from the fundamental form of the gun itself.

My cracked crystal ball sees another limited edition M17 coming down the pike...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Oooh... it's got the grips off a Ruger GP100! Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t buy commemorative anything’s.

But, I’ve been to the Tomb of the Unknowns several times. I can just sit there and watch that sentry walk back and forth. It’s one of the most sacred spots in the United States.

If some of the proceeds went to a military/veteran charity...I would likely get one.

As I recall, only the Sergeant of the Guard carries a handgun.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
According to the TFB blurb, SIG is donating them to the Guard.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I really like the lines of it.

I don’t like the glossy finish, but I get they did it for the formality of the pistol. I’d like one in a mat finish with back scales.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I would think they'd be loaded. Lots of stuff I don't follow, having never been in the service, but it would seem odd to have a ceremonial guard, with paperweights and sticks.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt 127:
I don’t buy commemorative anything’s.

But, I’ve been to the Tomb of the Unknowns several times. I can just sit there and watch that sentry walk back and forth. It’s one of the most sacred spots in the United States.

If some of the proceeds went to a military/veteran charity...I would likely get one.

As I recall, only the Sergeant of the Guard carries a handgun.

Not being offered for sale, my understanding is Sig is only making 4 of them, three for use in the ceremonies and one for display.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10919 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wood inserts in the grips come from the wood decking of the USS Olympia, the cruiser which brought the first unknown back from WWI!

https://www.guns.com/2018/10/0...-the-unknowns-video/

---------
If you appreciate private ownership of firearms, please join the NRA, before it's too late. (Benefactor Member)

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Suddenly the inserts make a lot more sense. It isn't ugly, but I wasn't quite sure what I thought of it as a purely aesthetic choice.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad they don't make a no frills version and offer it to the public as a regular offering. For years, I've wished for Glock and HK to do the same for years. While I do have both a G17 and USP Compact (and like them), there's just something about polymer frames that feel "cheesy" and "wear 'em out and throw 'em away" to me. It's just a mindset I know, but still hard to overcome having grown up in the era of the steel-framed auto.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Agreed, but how many people would cuss if SIG didn't offer a choice of Small, Medium and Large aluminum frames?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
quote:

I really doubt any of these pistols will ever see a live round in them. I don’t get the extended mag either

The extended magazines have a 21 round capacity. The number 21 has several significant events for the Guards at the Tomb, 21 steps, 21 seconds for the about face maneuver, etc.

Dave

Posts: 7 | Location: Glucksdadt, MS | Registered: September 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Z:
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
quote:

The extended magazines have a 21 round capacity. The number 21 has several significant events for the Guards at the Tomb, 21 steps, 21 seconds for the about face maneuver, etc.

Dave

Great point!

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It also provided SIG with another engraving surface. I dunno, I'd still go with a flush mag myself.