SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Aluminum Framed Presentation M17s For The Guards Of The Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminum Framed Presentation M17s For The Guards Of The Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
Interesting sounding pistols. They're gussied up, but the part that intrigues me is that SIG went to the trouble of making aluminum frames.

quote:
SIG Sauer to Present Guards of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier with Ceremonial M17s
Matthew Moss, The Firearm Blog, 10/4/2018

Sig Sauer has announced that it will present the US Army's 'Old Guard' with special ceremonial versions of the US Army's new M17 Modular Handgun System pistol. If you have ever wondered what a more 'traditional', non polymer M17 might look like, now we have some idea.

SIG will present the US 3d Infantry Regiment, who provide the guard for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, with four specially made engraved ceremonial M17s. The pistols have an aluminum grip frame and a steel slide, small wooden inserts have been added to the grip and the whole pistol is highly polished.

Interestingly SIG chose to give the ceremonial pistols the 21-round extended magazine, which will also have an aluminum base, incorporating an engraving of the names of the Greek figures featured on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The slide serrations take the form of a 'XXI' roman numeral signifying "the twenty-one steps it takes for the Tomb Sentinels to walk by the Tomb of the Unknowns and the military honor of a 21 Gun Salute."

Original text, including a copy of SIG's press release, is at http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...unknown-soldier-m17/

The press release does mention that four pistols will be made and presented; there's no mention of their being made issue for the Guard or of prospective sales to the civilian market.

My first reaction is to say it reminds me of the early Browning-branded versions of the P220EU in that I don't think I should particularly like the aesthetics of it, but I do.

I wonder if there's any real difference in shooting the pistol with an aluminum frame rather than a polymer frame?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicely done SIG.

Posts: 237 | Location: PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Ehh, I don't know what to feel about this. They seem almost TOO blinged out to me. Something like Saddam would strut around with on his hip.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
The Ceremonial M17 Pistol will look 'Bas-ass' when worn/holstered by the US Army's 'Old Guard' Soldiers in their dress uniforms!

quote:
"The M17 Tomb of the Unknown Pistols are unique M17 pistols that were created using the same specifications for the U.S. Army’s M17 Modular Handgun System. The ceremonial pistols are 9mm striker-fired pistols with a non-railed aluminum grip module, stainless steel slide, wood grip inserts, a 21-round magazine, and features the same optic cut as specified by the MHS contract, front night sight, removable rear plate, and black controls. The pistols also feature a high polish to withstand the inclement weather while the Tomb Sentinels stand guard.

The M17 Tomb of the Unknown Pistols will be presented to the Old Guard in an official ceremony on Thursday, October 11, 2018 at the Arlington National Cemetery Chapel. The ceremony will begin at 9:00am and include a private presentation ceremony, followed by a Changing of the Guard in which the 3rd Guard soldiers will return to duty with their M17 Tomb of the Unknown Pistols."

VERY Nicely Done SIG! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I think it's a sweet pistol. Lots of thought went into these

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I think it's very noice. I hope SIG will make some limited release of an all metal "M17". It will sell quickly.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I think it would look better without the extended magazine

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hope SIG will make some limited release of an all metal "M17".

Now that they've gone to the trouble of setting up a program to cut the frame they might as well get their money back.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Dang!
Those will look sharp on the Old Guard.

More photos in the ammoland article

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
"The M17 Tomb of the Unknown Pistols are unique M17 pistols that were created using the same specifications for the U.S. Army’s M17 Modular Handgun System.

Where is the safety?
Not that I believe one is necessary, but ….

I also wonder whether if they will actually be carried on Unknowns guard duty and if so, if they will be loaded. Mention of inclement weather would indicate they are to be carried, but as far as I know carrying handguns would be a first.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I like. I want. Damn Sig. Wink

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
"The M17 Tomb of the Unknown Pistols are unique M17 pistols that were created using the same specifications for the U.S. Army’s M17 Modular Handgun System.

Where is the safety?
Not that I believe one is necessary, but ….

I also wonder whether if they will actually be carried on Unknowns guard duty and if so, if they will be loaded. Mention of inclement weather would indicate they are to be carried, but as far as I know carrying handguns would be a first.
Guy on the left has a pistol. Seems to be the hoss in charge of turnover has a pistol, the other 2 rifles.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the Beretta Centennial

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
Well done Sig, that thing is SHARP looking!!

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Guy on the left has a pistol.

So he does. Either my memory has failed me (quite possible) or that is a change from many years ago when I was stationed in the area.

Thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Looks good without the rail and forward serrations.

I’d give thought to picking one up if they could come up with something reasonably close to the originals.

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
While I am typically not attracted to pimped out pistols, with the deep seeded historical references, I like these and appreciate them very much.

While some say gaudy, the stories that are woven within this pistols design, deserve every bit of the pomp and circumstance.

Well done Sig, and as a former serviceman, much appreciated.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Very nice gun.

While I understand the symbolism of the 21 round mag I think the XXI on the side covers it and I think it would look more appropriate with a flush fit mag. Either way though it’s a cool move by Sig and a beautiful gun. I’d be proud to own such a fine looking gun.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberiad:
I think it would look better without the extended magazine

Agreed. It throws off the sleek look. Still, very, very cool.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post