SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    CZ 97?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 97? Login/Join 
posted
Thinking about adding a CZ 97 .45 to my two CZ 75 - series guns. I expect big and heavy would be a couple descriptors, but how does it shoot compared to HK 45 and sig p220, both of which I have? The gun looks like a big SP 01. Are holsters available?

Posts: 59 | Registered: January 22, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken 3D:
Thinking about adding a CZ 97 .45 to my two CZ 75 - series guns. I expect big and heavy would be a couple descriptors, but how does it shoot compared to HK 45 and sig p220, both of which I have? The gun looks like a big SP 01. Are holsters available?

As a range gun, I think the CZ-97 is better than the SIG or HK, I have all three. It's as accurate as my Ed Brown Executive Elite. Way too big to carry for me though. Magazines are kind of a pain in the ass to find though.
It would be kinda cool if they put a rail on one, it was make a great home defense pistol.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my 220's. I also like my 97BD. It's heavy for sure but the weight does help soak up the recoil. The newer versions come with the "thin" aluminum grips and they do make a difference in my tiny hands.

I did the CGW drop in kit and it made a big difference in the single action pull.

As far as a comparison to the 220, the 97 seems to be a very different pistol but very likeable for me and the others that have shot mine.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I have one with the red fiber optic front sight and safety (as opposed to de-cock) and man its soft to shoot!

I even was able to find about 8 mags for it. I'm still a 1911 guy at heart though so the 97 just sits.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had one for 6 months or so. To me, my P220, 245, and 229 have better DA and SA triggers, especially SA. My CZ 97 has the manual safety, but it can be fired in DA as well and has heavier take up for both DA/SA.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not THAT big.
My 97 with measurements, comparisons and pics.
http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/...measurements.273203/

quote:
Always outnumbered, Never out gunned.

Posts: 1339 | Location: Central Missouri | Registered: April 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
I went through the same deliberation a while ago. My frame of reference for size was the P220, USP45 and G21. The 97BD while large seems to just fit the hand very nicely, with the thin aluminum grips at least. My trigger wasn't the best but a few drop in parts from CGW corrected that easily. And mags can be reasonably found:
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/cz...t45lfafc-p-1093.html

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken 3D:

My 97B (newer version with thin grips and fiber frt sight) is easier to shoot accurately standing, two handed than my KB proofed (older style) P220.
Re trigger pull: The P220 has a slight advantage in DA while the CZ has a slight advantage in SA (both pistols 100% stock).
I would expect newer style P220 pistols would be better in both areas of trigger pull.

No comment on the HK since I don't own one and it has been about 10 years since I shot one.
I would not consider holstering the 97B, so no help there either.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I LOVE my CZ75 Single Action. But I just can't get over the honkingly large physical size of the CZ97, just like I can't get over the large size of the Beretta 92 for a 9mm.

I have heard the 97's are great shooters and unstoppable.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I LOVE my CZ75 Single Action. But I just can't get over the honkingly large physical size of the CZ97, just like I can't get over the large size of the Beretta 92 for a 9mm.

Not sure what dimensions make it honkingly large, most 97 measurements are within an 1/8" of all the other guns, with the aluminum grips the 97 is actually much thinner than the 75 with rubber grips.

quote:

Posts: 1339 | Location: Central Missouri | Registered: April 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaptaboom:
quote:

Not sure what dimensions make it honkingly large, most 97 measurements are within an 1/8" of all the other guns, with the aluminum grips the 97 is actually much thinner than the 75 with rubber grips.

Compare the 97 to a government size 1911 with the same capacity.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine has been my only 1-hole gun. It's mind boggling to me. I did the CGW upgrades and it destroyed my 220's.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
My father bought one this time last year, and it's the only gun I've seen him shoot since.

On the rare occasion he lets me shoot it, I've found it to be extremely accurate, surpassing the shootability of my HK45 and my 1911's. I think the full length dust cover really keeps the muzzle flip under control, which contributes to its accuracy.

If you are thinking about buying one, do it!

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot a CGW 97B"E" in bullseye matches for two years. Here's a typical practice session, one day after winning a local bullseye match. Full disclosure--none of us locals are national contenders!

https://youtu.be/7MsCB7ucxLs?l...Te-22GvoVjUa3ZVSKiOH

Joe

P226-X-Five 9mm, P226-9/40/357SIG/22LR, P239-9, Kahr PM40, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B 9mm, Savage 308 bolt gun, Stag Arms AR-15.

Posts: 1941 | Location: West Texas | Registered: March 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Compare the 97 to a government size 1911 with the same capacity.

I DID, remember?
http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/...measurements.273203/

The stats:
Grip length: Bottom of beavertail to bottom of magwell, not mag base.
CZ-97= 3 5/8"
Beretta 92FS= 3 1/2"
H&K USP40 Full Size= 3 3/8" magwell stub counted.
SA 1911 Mil-Spec= 3 1/2"

Grip depth: Front strap to back strap.
CZ-97= 2 1/8"
Beretta 92FS= 2"
CZ-75SP01= 2"
H&K USP40 Full Size= 2 1/8"
SA 1911 Mil-Spec= 2 1/8"

Grip width: Maximum, averaged on CZ-75 rubber grips.
CZ-97= 1 1/8"
Beretta 92FS= 1 3/8"
CZ-75SP01= 1 3/8"
H&K USP40 Full Size= 1 1/4"
SA 1911 Mil-Spec= 1 5/16"

Slide length: Rear of slide to front of slide, bushings count but not barrel nor hammer.
CZ-97= 7 1/2"
Beretta 92FS= 7 1/2"
CZ-75SP01= 7 1/4"
H&K USP40 Full Size= 7 3/8"
SA 1911 Mil-Spec= 7 1/2"

Slide height: From dust cover to top of slide, rails count, sights do not.
CZ-97= 1 5/8"
Beretta 92FS= 1 1/2"
CZ-75SP01= 1 9/16"
H&K USP40 Full Size= 1 9/16"
SA 1911 Mil-Spec= 1 1/2"

Slide width: Max width including dust covers on the CZs.
CZ-97= 1"
Beretta 92FS= 1 1/8"
CZ-75SP01= 1"
H&K USP40 Full Size= 1 1/8"
SA 1911 Mil-Spec= 15/16"

Overall Length: Maximum length, barrel to beavertail.
CZ-97= 8 3/8"
Beretta 92FS= 8 1/2"
CZ-75SP01= 8 1/8"
H&K USP40 Full Size= 7 5/8"
SA 1911 Mil-Spec= 8 5/8"

Overall height: From top of slide to base of magwell, no magbase no sights.
CZ-97= 5 3/8"
Beretta92FS= 5 1/8"
CZ-75SP01= 5 3/16"
H&K USP40 Full Size= 5 1/8" magwell stub counted.
SA 1911 Mil-Spec= 5 3/8"

Findings and impressions.
Big? Yes, but not the gargantuan ogre some web reviews have made it out to be, not bigger than other big pistols and in some ways, widths in particular, it's actually significantly smaller! This thing really IS just a CZ-75 with a bigger hole in one end.
I really like this pistol, enough to spend some serious mod dollar$ on it.

quote:

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big? Yes, but not the gargantuan ogre some web reviews have made it out to be, not bigger than other big pistols and in some ways, widths in particular, it's actually significantly smaller! This thing really IS just a CZ-75 with a bigger hole in one end.

While I would agree that the dimensions are not all that different (with new style grips) the ergonomics are not exactly the same as the CZ-75, hence the "it is huge" feeling that many experience.

Also the weight difference (measured with empty mags);
P220: 1lb 14oz
1911: 2lb 6oz
CZ-97B: 2lb 8oz

Need to add in the weight of 10 (+1) 45 ACP rounds to the CZ-97B
vs.
The typical 7 or 8 (+1) for the 1911 and P220

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
CZ 97 is big, fun and damn accurate.
I wouldn't hesitate to acquire one at the right price.

Love mine and couldn't imagine not owning one.

Most accurate .45 out of the box, production pistol ii own.

Currently saving to have a full Angus Hobdell job done on it.

However, I like large handguns... Glock 21 etc.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gary1911A1
posted Hide Post
Use to have an early CZ97 and then got a Witness also in .45ACP and found I liked the Witness more. My Witness is an older square shaped slide with no rail in Wonderfinish. Mine works and has a better trigger reach without that steep feed ramp my 97 had that wouldn't feed JHPs'.

Posts: 527 | Location: Southern Ohio for now. | Registered: December 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
CZ 97 is big, fun and damn accurate.
I wouldn't hesitate to acquire one at the right price.

Love mine and couldn't imagine not owning one.

Most accurate .45 out of the box, production pistol ii own.

Currently saving to have a full Angus Hobdell job done on it.

However, I like large handguns... Glock 21 etc.

I don't have large hands but I was rather amazed at how easy it is to get used to large frames like HK and Beretta.

quote:

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
quote:

While I would agree that the dimensions are not all that different (with new style grips) the ergonomics are not exactly the same as the CZ-75, hence the "it is huge" feeling that many experience.

Also the weight difference (measured with empty mags);
P220: 1lb 14oz
1911: 2lb 6oz
CZ-97B: 2lb 8oz

Need to add in the weight of 10 (+1) 45 ACP rounds to the CZ-97B
vs.
The typical 7 or 8 (+1) for the 1911 and P220

My experience with 45 grips is that they tend to be squarer, where an individuals finger joints lay around that squarer shape would likely make it feel quite different BUT the fact that a pistol fits this or that person differently doesn't make the pistol any larger or smaller.

quote: