SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ed Brown at the LGS
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ed Brown at the LGS Login/Join 
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
What range are you using? Nice piece

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I have a private range that I have accesss to. I coach a SASP team there. It is nice as it is a 45 yard range made of sand. We have steel there and I basically have it to myself.

Downside is that it is shared by several groups, they must get the weekend. Which was why I could not get there this weekend. Going to plan a range day with the wife. Pics and report will follow.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Nice buy, congratulations! Please, let us know how it shoots, etc. I am a fan of the 1911 myself, and I think I would have been sorely tempted if I had found it, even though I am extremely happy with my 2 sig fastbacks. Big Grin

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Tuesday Range day! So, I packed up the range bag and threw in a few of the pistols my wife have been wanting to shoot. We brought the Beretta 92FS Brigadier, Beretta APX, Sig X Carry, the S&W Victory with the new TacSol Ridge Lite Barrel, S&W 342, and, of course, the Kobra Carry.

We set up the targets 7 to 8 yards away. Tested the Victory for function and the Romeo3. Wife shot her Berettas. It was her first time shooting the APX. It was good but she still likes her 92. We forgot her S&W 442 so she shot my 342. She did fine but it hurt a bit.

Onto the Kobra Carry. Functional, it ran just fine. As I only had one mag, I only ran a box out of it. It was accurate when I did my part. I shot it for group and the picture is one sample. Maybe all the positive talk had me setting high expectations for this. I would say, I was a little underwelm by it. Maybe I was expecting rainbow and cotton candy when I shot it. I am going to have to shoot it more to make a firm opinion of it. Don’t get me wrong. It is a solid pistol. You can see the detail of the craftmanship.

Thanks again for all the comments and tips.

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe all the positive talk had me setting high expectations for this. I would say, I was a little underwelm by it.

The automatic guidance system is an extra cost option on Ed Browns. Otherwise it falls back on us mortals.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
Tuesday Range day! So, I packed up the range bag and threw in a few of the pistols my wife have been wanting to shoot. We brought the Beretta 92FS Brigadier, Beretta APX, Sig X Carry, the S&W Victory with the new TacSol Ridge Lite Barrel, S&W 342, and, of course, the Kobra Carry.

We set up the targets 7 to 8 yards away. Tested the Victory for function and the Romeo3. Wife shot her Berettas. It was her first time shooting the APX. It was good but she still likes her 92. We forgot her S&W 442 so she shot my 342. She did fine but it hurt a bit.

Onto the Kobra Carry. Functional, it ran just fine. As I only had one mag, I only ran a box out of it. It was accurate when I did my part. I shot it for group and the picture is one sample. Maybe all the positive talk had me setting high expectations for this. I would say, I was a little underwelm by it. Maybe I was expecting rainbow and cotton candy when I shot it. I am going to have to shoot it more to make a firm opinion of it. Don’t get me wrong. It is a solid pistol. You can see the detail of the craftmanship.

Thanks again for all the comments and tips.

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

If you are used to a full size 1911, you will def notice decreased accuracy with the smaller Kobra Carry model. My first EB was the Classic Custom in stainless, and it shoots like a dream. So smooth and very accurate. I then bought an Executive Carry, and it was much snappier on the recoil and less accurate. I am sure if I spent a lot of time with it I would have improved, but since I do not carry a 1911 I decided to sell it and keep my Classic Custom. I am sure you will get much better after more range time. You have a very high quality pistol there.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

If you are used to a full size 1911, you will def notice decreased accuracy with the smaller Kobra Carry model. My first EB was the Classic Custom in stainless, and it shoots like a dream. So smooth and very accurate. I then bought an Executive Carry, and it was much snappier on the recoil and less accurate. I am sure if I spent a lot of time with it I would have improved, but since I do not carry a 1911 I decided to sell it and keep my Classic Custom. I am sure you will get much better after more range time. You have a very high quality pistol there.[/QUOTE]

You nailed my feeling on this almost exactly. My reference points are my Dan Wesson Pointman 9, Sig X5 Tactical, and CZ AccuShadow. Pretty much can make one hole group with those pistols. That target was just one sample. I find myself having to try harder to shoot the tighter group than those other pistols. Given it is a carry model, I guess I expected some miracle formula that would make it like a full size gun. I guess that is why competitive shooters shoot Glock 34 vs a 19.

I am going to give it a few more range trip to get used to it.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Here is a $550 1911 at 7 yards.

At 7 yards you should expect better. Lots of things to check. Sounds like the Ed Brown company might be the best place to send it.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
What do you think about the shorter length of pull of your gun? I'm no 1911 aficionado (still learning), but I immediately noticed that difference with your gun when I first saw you pics a few moments ago, when compared to a typical 1911 as they're configured these days. To me your hands look large from the range pic, much larger than mine. Even with my short mitts I don't like such a shortened length of pull on a 1911.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:

If you are used to a full size 1911, you will def notice decreased accuracy with the smaller Kobra Carry model. My first EB was the Classic Custom in stainless, and it shoots like a dream. So smooth and very accurate. I then bought an Executive Carry, and it was much snappier on the recoil and less accurate. I am sure if I spent a lot of time with it I would have improved, but since I do not carry a 1911 I decided to sell it and keep my Classic Custom. I am sure you will get much better after more range time. You have a very high quality pistol there.[/QUOTE]

You nailed my feeling on this almost exactly. My reference points are my Dan Wesson Pointman 9, Sig X5 Tactical, and CZ AccuShadow. Pretty much can make one hole group with those pistols. That target was just one sample. I find myself having to try harder to shoot the tighter group than those other pistols. Given it is a carry model, I guess I expected some miracle formula that would make it like a full size gun. I guess that is why competitive shooters shoot Glock 34 vs a 19.

I am going to give it a few more range trip to get used to it.[/QUOTE]

If you love the pistol and want to keep it, I suggest sending it back to EB and spend the 100 bucks and have them go through it completely. Ask them to be sure to test fire it (I think they do that anyway) and you'll get it back in as-new mechanical condition. If you don't like it, you can sell it and buy a full size model Smile

Banned
posted Hide Post
I have owned twelve 1911s over the past 20+ years. All but one were 5" models. I had a black DW VBOB that I bought - that was my first commander sized 1911. I did not like the feeling of extra recoil, even though the gun was amazingly built.

I will always prefer govt sized models, personally. So, I understand what you mean.

Posts: 531 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beretta-neo:
I have owned twelve 1911s over the past 20+ years. All but one were 5" models. I had a black DW VBOB that I bought - that was my first commander sized 1911. I did not like the feeling of extra recoil, even though the gun was amazingly built.

I will always prefer govt sized models, personally. So, I understand what you mean.

That is exactly my experience. The 5" makes a huge difference in accuracy and "smoothness". I now own two govt sized 1911s (EB and Springfield Pro) and I will never let them go. They are the most pleasing pistols to shoot, that I own. (except for the P210) Smile

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Sub 4000 serial number. Very nice

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliment but I have medium size hand. Probably the angle of the shot. Yeah, shooting longer barrel guns spoiled me. I found myself tugging the first shot. Then I adjust and aimed at the spot. As I said, it got better. Having one mag sucks...I typical have at least 5 mag with each gun.

Jury is out whether it gets a permanent spot in the gun safe...

posted Hide Post
Congrats on your purchase ... seems to be a fine deal for you. As others stated you can send it to Brown and have it "reconditioned" and thoroughly serviced for minimal expense.

Low number Browns do have a following and especially Kobras. Check the price of a similarly specd new Kobra and you have plenty of topside. I have three 45's, a Colt Custom Shop Gold Cup National Match, a Sig P220 match and a Brown Kobra Carry ... of the three, the Brown will be the last to go from my dying hands.

All the best with your new to you "Brown".

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. I stand for "We The People ..."

Posts: 259 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Great price. I paid $1700 for my Kobra Carry back when I bought it used ~10yrs ago.

I carried mine and shot it a lot, great pistol, but I eventuality moved on to CCOs and walked away from Commanders altogether, and eventually stopped carrying 1911s when I moved to 10mm for EDC. My favourite 1911s are custom Colts from Yost, and then Ed Brown for the production guns. I'd own another Brown without hesitation if I was looking again.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beretta-neo:

These are my thoughts. I even bought an original Colt Combat commander 9mm that I thought would be fun. I ended up selling it and getting a government 9mm. The governments just recoil so much smoother and nicer.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post