SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked up a new S&W R8
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a new S&W R8 Login/Join 
Picture of trickedtrix
posted
I recently had hand surgery and what better way to celebrate temporary loss of a hand than to buy a new wheel gun. Pics soon, but in the meantime i need to pick up some 8 shot moon clips - any recommendations??

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1237 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the moon clips but you picked a great gun. Congrats and hope the healing is quick.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
I picked up one of the 8 shot redhawks awhile back. It's a hoot!

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
TK Moonclips. Factory Moonclips. I just shot without them and carried two moons on social outings.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
All of my clips come from Ranch Products.

Enjoy,
Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Can't recall who made them, probably one or both of the manufacturers mentioned in the proceeding posts but I have both the steel and plastic full moon clips for my S&W .45 ACP revolvers and the steel for my S&W 610 revolvers in 10mm and neither brand/style have caused any problems.

The plastic clips make for easier loading and unloading of the rounds on the actual clip, (I just use a piece of wooden dowel to remove the empty cases).

Posts: 91 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
If you just want to use moon clips, at the range, for convenience, then any one will do. The least expensive would probably be Ranch. I would backtrack on that "any one will do" statement, as you have to insure that the brass you intend to use will fit the clip. There are no SAAMI dimension specs for the groove ahead of the rim, on rimmed cartridges - some don't even have a groove. So you have to insure that your ammo will fit the clip. Again, Ranch will probably fit the widest assortment of headstamps, albeit loosely in some cases.

This becomes much more critical if you are going to compete with this gun. In that case a wiggle-free fit between case and clip is desirable and may only be found by trial & error and confining yourself to one headstamp. Most people that compete with the 8-shot .357's do so using shorter cartridges like .38 long or short Colt, to facilitate fast reloading.

AFAIK, there are no RIMZ (poly) moon clips for the 8-shot .357's.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
no aspirations of competition - just a solid fun gun at the range

Posts: 1237 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention, buy a BMT tool for loading and unloading the moon clips. Expensive, but will save you lots of time, injuries, swearing and heartache - trust me! For your application, Ranch clips should work fine. You can buy them direct. Their website only gives-up a phone number. You have to actually call them and talk to a real live human being to order.

Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1450 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club Wink

I use Speedbeez moon clips only bc they are relatively inexpensive and widely available. Have been thinking of getting some more speedy ones and see if they load faster.
SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Not what you asked for but alternative to moon clips.

Excellent quality products.

https://www.5starfirearms.com

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Now the next question - owb holster

Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Finally got to shoot her last night - only left handed, but she shot great - a real kitten with .38's and plenty manageable with full power .357. Sight picture is great and it balances well. Love the trigger. I'm looking at moon clip loaders - what's the forum favorite?

Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
I have two holsters for mine:

1) Safariland 002 cup challenge. I like it bc it’s fast and the open design allows for red dots.

2) Safariland 568 custom fit paddle holster for 5 inch N frames. This holster isn’t much to look at but works well when you don’t need or can’t use a speed holster. I compete with mine and if I shoot at a particular club that focuses on “tactical” over competition they do not allow the 002 cup holster.

As for moon clips I have speed beez...I don’t have the info on me now but do a google search for fitting certain thickness moon clips to certain brands of brass. Believe it or not .38 spc and .357 don’t have standard brass designs and the gap near the rim varies per brand by a few thousandths.

I don’t use a moon clip loader but I do use the $4 Wilson de-mooner as the edges of the clips can be sharp and hard to manipulate.

Glad you like your R8, they are awesome!

SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1645 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
A pair of old pliers.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Ha, pliers is exactly what i used earlier today, and a failed attempt at using a strap wrench. Thanks for the holster suggestions

To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
No suggestions on moon clips, but congrats on the r8. Dont know if they do still, but they made one without the rail. Its been a want gun for awhile for me. Whats not to love about an 8 shot 5 in wheel gun.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post