SIGforum
Surprized there is so little .357sig and .40S&W at SIG

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8630038144

May 16, 2018, 01:47 PM
SIGWolf
Surprized there is so little .357sig and .40S&W at SIG
I was perusing the pistols on the Sig site and was surprised how few were offered in .357sig or .40S&W. Only one legion and only one flavor of P229. Only two flavors of P320.

All the rest are 9mm, all the newer stuff.

Is this just a matter of waiting until they put out the others in those calibers or is SIG stepping back from .40 and .357sig in favor of predominently .45ACP, 9mm and a little 10mm on the side?

I guess that .357sig really didn't catch on and .40S&W has faded.
May 16, 2018, 01:52 PM
No surprise, there. FBI is touting the 9 again. Cops are dumping those calibers and go 9. Military? 9. So, the herd just follows. That's my take on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

May 16, 2018, 02:10 PM
snoris
At some unfortunate point, we’ll probably see a police shooting turn out badly due to a 9mm under-performance issue (penetration or expansion) and a number of agencies will scurry back to the .40 or .357 Sig. It’s happened before.
May 16, 2018, 02:10 PM
BBMW
Sigwolf,

I don't know where you're getting this. On the SIG website, in .40 they're showing three models of both P226 and P229, four in P320, and one in the P2022. So .40 is still alive. There are still a lot of agencies using it.
May 16, 2018, 02:26 PM
Hume
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
At some unfortunate point, we’ll probably see a police shooting turn out badly due to a 9mm under-performance issue (penetration or expansion) and a number of agencies will scurry back to the .40 or .357 Sig. It’s happened before.

Agreed.
May 16, 2018, 02:30 PM
Strambo
quote:

Maaaybee...but that happened in the 80's with crap HPs. The current premium HPs are very good performers.

Of course, for a civilian user, they are all great calibers. I wish I liked .40 and wanted to add another caliber 'cause their cheap now!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
May 16, 2018, 02:30 PM
Edmond
quote:

So what you're saying is buy them cheap and stack them deep.

Sounds like good enough justification to me to start buying more guns/ammo. Big Grin

May 16, 2018, 03:07 PM
SIGWolf
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Sigwolf,

I don't know where you're getting this. On the SIG website, in .40 they're showing three models of both P226 and P229, four in P320, and one in the P2022. So .40 is still alive. There are still a lot of agencies using it.

I got it through the search filter selection. You choose .357sig, it brings up platforms, go to the platform, do same filter and it brings up selections.

Perhaps the search function is flawed, but that's what it produced. I was looking at 357sig.

For .40 there may be more initial choices, but nothing, for example, in the Legion category for P229.

It used to be every single model of P226 and P229 came in 9mm, .357sig and .40S&W. That is definitely not the case anymore.

So, there are more offerings in .40S&W than .357sig, but fewer of both, much fewer than in years past.

Looks like there is a P229 in 9mm in my future.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGWolf,
May 16, 2018, 03:15 PM
sigfreund
I would imagine that SIG is more than happy to produce guns in a limited number of chamberings. Except for lost sales to people who like a variety, if everyone is convinced that 9mm is the caliber to use, it makes their manufacturing and distribution life simpler. The company has definitely been moving away from supporting the 357 SIG. A relative asked me months ago about finding a P229 in that chambering, and I was unable to find even a factory barrel to convert from 40 S&W; glad I have a supply of spare barrels for the guns I own.

But every time I read that current 9mm loads are better than in the past, and especially how they’re now just as good at ending threats expeditiously as any of the other big four pistol defensive cartridges (9mm, 357 SIG, 40 S&W, 45 ACP), the same question comes to mind: How do they know?

To my knowledge there have been no publicly-available scientific-level studies of the question for many years (if ever). Anecdotes of “The XYZ agency is happy with the ABC load” or “My BIL is a state trooper and knows of three incidents using the ABC load and all three BGs were put down” are valueless in any meaningful sense. Even if, as is often reported, bullets of various loads seem to perform about the same in gelatin tests, there are differences among the various cartridges that don’t get measured when looking at penetration or even expansion. If differences exist that cannot be easily measured, how do we know they don’t matter?

But other than its effect on the availability of other ammunition and firearms, I don’t fret about it except as idle curiosity. In fact, if I’m ever shot, I hope it’s with a small caliber, low-powered projectile.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
May 16, 2018, 03:19 PM
gunguru123
I guess that positive are the used Sig's in 40 that are good condition. I just purchased a police trade-in Sig 226 in very good condition on the cheap.

Sig P220 Elite Dark, W. German 220/226 Navy/226 Tac Ops/226R Stainless/228/229 Legion/229R/M11-A1D

Glocks, HK, Walther, XDs, etc, etc...
May 16, 2018, 03:46 PM
cslinger
quote:

I like .40....sue me.

That being said I expect the above will happen but reality will have little or nothing to do with caliber. My guess is empirically when the above likely happens if you could substitute any martial round it probably would have failed as well.

I mean hell folks have killed bears with 9mm.

Again this coming from somebody who likes .40 and 9mm and .45........and .38,357 magnum,.44,.357 SIG ........ ok I am a bad example but you get my point. Smile

Actually I am the odd man out in that I have never really liked .357 SIGs blast/concussion vs. .40. Great round but that is my personal dislike of it. Different strokes and all.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
May 16, 2018, 03:57 PM
jljones
The 357 is a dying round. The last major federal agency using it is on its way out because a lack of ammunition to be produced by ATK. ATKs stance seems to be that they will barely support the round in the coming years.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

May 16, 2018, 04:02 PM
parabellum
The efficient little nine rules. Wink
May 16, 2018, 04:03 PM
RichardC
357 SIG

Your own family treats you like a red-headed stepchild.

May 16, 2018, 04:10 PM
SIGWolf
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The 357 is a dying round. The last major federal agency using it is on its way out because a lack of ammunition to be produced by ATK. ATKs stance seems to be that they will barely support the round in the coming years.

It’s too bad. I really like .357sig. I have an older all stainless two tone P226 in .357sig that is a joy to shoot.
May 16, 2018, 04:47 PM
350zee
Nothing wrong with 9mm but my Sig(s) .40
Cal, .45 and .357sigs are staying with me. They are just too pricey to shoot these days. Heck, even .380s costs more than 9mm ammunitions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***My Idea Of Gun Control Is A Firm Grip!!!***-------***NRA Life Member***----------
May 16, 2018, 04:52 PM
357fuzz
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
357 SIG

Your own family treats you like a red-headed stepchild.

Hey!!! Look at my handle and guess what I like and I have red hair!!!!! Aahhh triggered!!!

Joking. However, you guys are right about the 357Sig dying off. I wish it wasn’t true.
May 16, 2018, 05:28 PM
Il Cattivo
I don't know about dying off, but 357 fans have had to wait for SIG to make a batch of them before being able to get one for some years now. I was overjoyed when they actually made some of the earliest 320Fs in 357SIG, but it wasn't until about then that I finally got my mitts on a 250F in 357SIG.
May 16, 2018, 05:50 PM
qxsoup
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I don't know about dying off, but 357 fans have had to wait for SIG to make a batch of them before being able to get one for some years now. I was overjoyed when they actually made some of the earliest 320Fs in 357SIG, but it wasn't until about then that I finally got my mitts on a 250F in 357SIG.

This x 1000.
I am STILL waiting for a carry size 1911 in .357 that was promised YEARS ago...

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

May 16, 2018, 05:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

This x 1000.
I am STILL waiting for a carry size 1911 in .357 that was promised YEARS ago...

Doesn't that tell you anything? The round is not popular, simple. And, with Jones, who knows a thing or two about LE goings-on, telling you it's dying off, it's dying off.

Q