SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who around here still carries the P30?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Who around here still carries the P30? Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
My P30sk is my primary carry. Love that gun.


"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")
 
Posts: 1728 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
I think I know what's coming...
 
Posts: 5350 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Being a DA/SA guy I'm torn between my P226 and my P30. The P226 has always been my go to since I bought my first in 1987. But over the last year the P30 has been getting all of the love as I've been carrying and shooting it exclusively.

Here's why:
While I think the 226 has the better trigger, for reasons I can't explain my press-outs are more consistent with the P30. By that I mean that I tend to break the shot early far less often with the P30. Maybe the DA pull of the P30 just better suits my cadence? I don't know.

Back in June of 16' I took Jerry's class in Paducah with a P226 and really improved my ability to do press-outs. I kept practicing on my own and kept getting better, very happy camper (thanks Jerry).

Then on a whim I bought a P30S; and on my first day with it I was shooting as well as with the P226. Then after a few range sessions doing various drills, all beginning with a DA press-out, I began to notice tighter DA/SA pairs, especially when using 3x5 cards. The difference was that after getting used to the P30 I was breaking far fewer shots early.

After a little over a year and some 5000 rds, I believe the P30 is now my go-to.
 
Posts: 210 | Registered: January 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skyshark:
Being a DA/SA guy I'm torn between my P226 and my P30. The P226 has always been my go to since I bought my first in 1987. But over the last year the P30 has been getting all of the love as I've been carrying and shooting it exclusively.

Here's why:
While I think the 226 has the better trigger, for reasons I can't explain my press-outs are more consistent with the P30. By that I mean that I tend to break the shot early far less often with the P30. Maybe the DA pull of the P30 just better suits my cadence? I don't know.

Back in June of 16' I took Jerry's class in Paducah with a P226 and really improved my ability to do press-outs. I kept practicing on my own and kept getting better, very happy camper (thanks Jerry).

Then on a whim I bought a P30S; and on my first day with it I was shooting as well as with the P226. Then after a few range sessions doing various drills, all beginning with a DA press-out, I began to notice tighter DA/SA pairs, especially when using 3x5 cards. The difference was that after getting used to the P30 I was breaking far fewer shots early.

After a little over a year and some 5000 rds, I believe the P30 is now my go-to.


Several times I’ve out shot myself with something I didn’t prefer as much as something else. I made the stupid mistake of ignoring that fact. Roll with it. Sounds like you found something you are better with. Just flow with it.



Got it.....Rough air ahead, we’re in for some chop.
 
Posts: 8388 | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I shoot my p30L's a lot in uspsa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHwOVCqLPpU


and I don't carry much but when I do I carry my p30sk

ccw match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7zl4m2FFr0&t=8s


p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

 
Posts: 623 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Those I enjoyed watching Lefty. The night time match was outstanding. Being as the targets have some form of light on them, do your night sights come alive ? Also, wondering why jljones asked but never came back to the topic ?
 
Posts: 14221 | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have been monitoring this thread but not wanting to pollute people’s opinion with my own.


_______________________________________________________________________
www.opspectraining.com

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011



 
Posts: 31195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Not quite this many anymore but getting close agian.



________________________________
 
Posts: 6866 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes WARPIG!!!!


_____________________________

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click
 
Posts: 4819 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I have been monitoring this thread but not wanting to pollute people’s opinion with my own.


Well, don't leave us in suspense forever.
 
Posts: 210 | Registered: January 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I've been a big fan of the P30 since it came out. After the P2000 came out, I purchased one for carry and carried it many miles. There were a few minor things that I did not like about it, namely one of the biggies was the small magazine release paddle. I found it really hard to hit most of the time at speed. The P30 came out and it fixed that big issue for me so I purchased one and began to play with it. I found that the gun needed a wee bit of work to be useful for my needs. The grove in the trigger guard needed removed, and the DA lightened a bit to make it more usable. (I could work with it if it was 12 or maybe even 14 pounds but 18-20 pounds is excessive).

After I got the P30 back, I carried it a bunch. Only drawback I see is that the magazines are the weak link. They are hit and miss for a lot of vendors.

I guess if I could sum up the bottom line for me it would be a demo I shot in a class. I had planned to teach the class with a 226, but at the last minute I had some issues with the 226 and swapped it to the P30. The demo was about driving the gun on the draw. I drew the pistol out at speed, drove the sights, and broke two very fast shots. I was rewarded with two rounds touching in the head box. That is the kind of shooting that I can do with the P30 with very little effort.

I am a fan of the P30. It is just that some of the guns come with an oppressive trigger system, and may need some work.


_______________________________________________________________________
www.opspectraining.com

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011



 
Posts: 31195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
No. If I wanted a trigger that crummy, I would carry my staple gun.
 
Posts: 3424 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Have you tried lite LEM? Might work bette Edie you. Also you can buy larger paddles for the p2000 which are similar in size to the P30/HK45C paddles.


_______________________________________________
Use thumb-size bullets to create fist-size holes.
 
Posts: 12321 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I've been a big fan of the P30 since it came out. After the P2000 came out, I purchased one for carry and carried it many miles. There were a few minor things that I did not like about it, namely one of the biggies was the small magazine release paddle. I found it really hard to hit most of the time at speed. The P30 came out and it fixed that big issue for me so I purchased one and began to play with it. I found that the gun needed a wee bit of work to be useful for my needs. The grove in the trigger guard needed removed, and the DA lightened a bit to make it more usable. (I could work with it if it was 12 or maybe even 14 pounds but 18-20 pounds is excessive).

After I got the P30 back, I carried it a bunch. Only drawback I see is that the magazines are the weak link. They are hit and miss for a lot of vendors.

I guess if I could sum up the bottom line for me it would be a demo I shot in a class. I had planned to teach the class with a 226, but at the last minute I had some issues with the 226 and swapped it to the P30. The demo was about driving the gun on the draw. I drew the pistol out at speed, drove the sights, and broke two very fast shots. I was rewarded with two rounds touching in the head box. That is the kind of shooting that I can do with the P30 with very little effort.

I am a fan of the P30. It is just that some of the guns come with an oppressive trigger system, and may need some work.


How did you remove the groove in the trigger guard jj? I’ve already fixed the DA # and the reset, lightening and shortening both. Trigger guard work just a dremel?



Got it.....Rough air ahead, we’re in for some chop.
 
Posts: 8388 | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I am a fan of the P30. It is just that some of the guns come with an oppressive trigger system, and may need some work.


Would you recommend, then, the lighter (12#) hammer spring, light or match TRS, light FPB spring, and match sear spring?


☣Biohazard☣
 
Posts: 6826 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Would you mind explaining the hit or miss magazine comment please? I thought there was ONLY HK as far as the vendor/manufacturer of these go? Do they sub them out?

Thanks so much. Always appreciate the insight.

Or am I a dumbass and you were not talking about quality of the magazine but availability?

Chris.


"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
 
Posts: 3254 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Would you mind explaining the hit or miss magazine comment please? I thought there was ONLY HK as far as the vendor/manufacturer of these go? Do they sub them out?

Thanks so much. Always appreciate the insight.

Or am I a dumbass and you were not talking about quality of the magazine but availability?

Chris.


I think he is referring to them being in stock. HK makes their own magazines and they do not farm them out.



Got it.....Rough air ahead, we’re in for some chop.
 
Posts: 8388 | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Have you tried lite LEM? Might work bette Edie you. Also you can buy larger paddles for the p2000 which are similar in size to the P30/HK45C paddles.


Yes, I have tried all of their trigger systems. Not a fan. I have owned a P30, P30sk (LEM and DA/SA versions), USPc 9mm and .45, P2000 (LEM and DA/SA versions), P2000sk (LEM and DA/SA versions). H&K somehow always sucks me back in with a new pistol purchase, but at this point the only ones I have left are the USPc .45 (keeping) and a P30sk (about to sell).
 
Posts: 3424 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I've been a big fan of the P30 since it came out. After the P2000 came out, I purchased one for carry and carried it many miles. There were a few minor things that I did not like about it, namely one of the biggies was the small magazine release paddle. I found it really hard to hit most of the time at speed. The P30 came out and it fixed that big issue for me so I purchased one and began to play with it. I found that the gun needed a wee bit of work to be useful for my needs. The grove in the trigger guard needed removed, and the DA lightened a bit to make it more usable. (I could work with it if it was 12 or maybe even 14 pounds but 18-20 pounds is excessive).

After I got the P30 back, I carried it a bunch. Only drawback I see is that the magazines are the weak link. They are hit and miss for a lot of vendors.

I guess if I could sum up the bottom line for me it would be a demo I shot in a class. I had planned to teach the class with a 226, but at the last minute I had some issues with the 226 and swapped it to the P30. The demo was about driving the gun on the draw. I drew the pistol out at speed, drove the sights, and broke two very fast shots. I was rewarded with two rounds touching in the head box. That is the kind of shooting that I can do with the P30 with very little effort.

I am a fan of the P30. It is just that some of the guns come with an oppressive trigger system, and may need some work.


How did you remove the groove in the trigger guard jj? I’ve already fixed the DA # and the reset, lightening and shortening both. Trigger guard work just a dremel?


Point tip dremel, 600 grit sand paper and patience.


_______________________________________________________________________
www.opspectraining.com

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011



 
Posts: 31195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Would you mind explaining the hit or miss magazine comment please? I thought there was ONLY HK as far as the vendor/manufacturer of these go? Do they sub them out?

Thanks so much. Always appreciate the insight.

Or am I a dumbass and you were not talking about quality of the magazine but availability?

Chris.


I think he is referring to them being in stock. HK makes their own magazines and they do not farm them out.


Yep. HK mags are feast or famine at times. When a vendor goes out of stock, they seem not to get resupplied for a while. So then you have to start looking around.


_______________________________________________________________________
www.opspectraining.com

"Make it a shooting, and not a gunfight" LSP552 02/19/2011



 
Posts: 31195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Who around here still carries the P30?

© SIGforum 2018