SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hi Power to gunsmith or new H&K P30?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi Power to gunsmith or new H&K P30? Login/Join 
Picture of cwelch
posted
I've got an older C series Hi Power with the small sights and safety. The mag disconnect has b een removed and the trigger is good for a Hi Power. For around $550.00 I can have the sights replaced with Heinie straight eights, the feed ramp de-humped, custom safety (not cylinder and slide) and trigger job. With all that done I still have 45 year old single action pistol that shoots lights out and fits me like a glove.

With the recent price drop I can get a new HK P30 DA/SA, 2 15 round mags and night sights for about $650.00.

I haven't shot a P30 yet but the local indoor range has one to rent which I will try out this week.

I have no problem carrying cocked and locked but the weight of the 1911 is beginning to get to me somewhat. A loaded Hi Power (14 Rds) weighs about 38 ounces, a loaded P30 (16 rds) weighs about 33 ounces.

If the P30 fits almost as well and shoots almost as well as the Hi Power which choice should I make for a carry gun?

Posts: 268 | Location: Conyers, Ga. | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I would leave the Hi Power as is, and buy the HK.

Since HI Powers are discontinued, stock Un altered HP's will probably increase in value.

In about 30 seconds, some one will tell you to customize your HP.

But you asked for advice, that is my advice.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep the High Power and bring it to the range occasionally to remember your old friend. But buy an excellent modern pistol that's a good deal right now for your carry gun.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Who is doing the work? A custom pistol is something everyone should experience. Nothing wrong with the H&K but I would not trade my custom HP for one, I had a similar amount of work on my MKII surplus HP and it's just what I wanted.....

I had mine done when I lived in PHX, I always admired The Action Works work and he was fairly close and a true pleasure to work with.....easy decision considering.....

But hey....either one gets you a great pistol, just different

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since HI Powers are discontinued...

No they're not.

http://www.browning.com/produc...rent-production.html

To the OP: if you like how the P30 operates, I'd say buy yourself a P30S, live with the slight weight savings and not fuss with your Hi Power.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
P30. It carries nicely in an appropriate holster. Best grip on the market. For what they are currently selling for, now is your chance, buy it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
A Hi-Power was on the to-do list before I retired, but priorities have changed along with discretionary funds.

IMO it would stay unmodified. Every one that I ever had in my hands felt like a true piece of workmanship. Well almost, the ones that Gander Mountain had, Israeli Police trade ins, there was no way I would have given $450 for it. Metal damage, loose slide, what was there to love and appreciate?

I still kick myself, about four years ago my S-I-L and I went last minute Christmas Eve shopping and we stopped by a suburban Detroit gun shop. There it was, 9mm 95% gun with two mags, $650. When my wife overheard my son in law saying he wanted to go to that particular shop my wife said "Don't even think about it" and I heeded.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but if the rental P30 works out for you, I'd probably purchase that.

I'm no expert on Hi-Powers, but I would be hesitant to have custom work done on a C series Hi-Power, let alone use one for carry (If I wanted to carry a Hi-Power, I'd probably just get a newer Mark III). However, I'm not sure how having a removed mag disconnect would affect it's value. That might be a potential decision factor.

But, it's your gun. If you would rather have a lightly customized Hi-Power, I certainly wouldn't fault you for it. Unless you didn't post pictures after having the work done. Wink

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
Tune that HP and enjoy.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cwelch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Who is doing the work? A custom pistol is something everyone should experience. Nothing wrong with the H&K but I would not trade my custom HP for one, I had a similar amount of work on my MKII surplus HP and it's just what I wanted.....

I had mine done when I lived in PHX, I always admired The Action Works work and he was fairly close and a true pleasure to work with.....easy decision considering.....

I was planning on having Don Williams at Action Works do the work.

Posts: 268 | Location: Conyers, Ga. | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cwelch:
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

I was planning on having Don Williams at Action Works do the work.

Easy decision for me......go with the HP and Don Williams. Don has done two HPs for me, and they are both awesome handguns.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grab a Gun is advertising P30s with 2 15rnd mags for $575. That might help with you’re decision.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Send the HP to Williams. You'll be able to buy the HK later.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Send the HP to Don. Here’s one he did for me last year:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...830019724#6830019724

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The BHP is a classic and Don Williams will make it an even better classic.
Go for it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
quote:
Since HI Powers are discontinued...

No they're not.

Just called Browning, the HP is discontinued.

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seeing how HK prices are coming down, I’d snag one. I’ve shot and carried a P30 on duty previously and you can’t go wrong. I no longer own the P30, as I moved to a HK45c instead.

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cwelch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcs1564:
Send the HP to Don. Here’s one he did for me last year:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...830019724#6830019724

All I can say is WOW. What finish is that?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The BHP is a classic and Don Williams will make it an even better classic.
Go for it!

Agree. Don Williams is world class. I have mine back from him just recently and his work is impeccable!

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I love HKs. I have a P30 and it is awesome. That being said a Don Williams HiPower???? How is this even a question? Tactical plastic vs old world craftsmanship??? Do the HiPower

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post