SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Reduced Power Mainspring For The 226
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced Power Mainspring For The 226 Login/Join 
posted
Is there a reduced power mainspring for the 226 that will reduce the DA pull weight of a 226 ?
Like what a D spring does for the Beretta 92 .
Thanks in advance .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes there are, but there are a couple of different styles depending on your gun.

There is a long spring used in older guns (right) and a short spring used in newer and E2 guns. (left)

You can find springs in the 17-19 pound range from Gary Guns or Wolf, etc.

I have had excellent results going down to 18 pound springs, but on my range guns only.

Some run fine with 17 pound springs.

On a duty or carry gun, I'd be real careful about dropping to 19 lbs or less without a whole lot of testing.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run 17lb Wolff mainsprings on all three of my P226's with excellent results.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies . Looking for springs for a Tac Ops and a MK25 .
What lb springs do these two come with ?

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG...226/cID1/mID4/dID254

Wolff RP 17, 18 & 19. Factory - 22#. Assuming plastic base mainspring (hammer spring).

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that lighter mainsprings may not ignite all brands of ammo. I had a 17# in my 226 that ran fine with my reloads (using Federal primers) and Blazer Brass. But I had to go back up to a factory spring to get it to fire Prvi Partizan ammo. Whatever weight you go with, make sure to test it out.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrtuna
posted Hide Post
The Grayguns springs I use have a 17lb for range use only and 19lb for duty. The 19lb has never failed for ignite any ammo and I trust that Grayguns wouldn't compromise anyone's safety. Of course the 17lb is more fun at the range or competition.

Training as often as possible!
NSSF Media Member

Posts: 1577 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: May 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an 18# in my P226 Combat, no problems with WWB or Federal RN, no problems with Gold Dot or Winchester SXT either. I use Winchester primers for reloads and no problems there.

I use a 19# in my other P226s.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I used to run a 17# short spring style in a SS milled slide P226 which was range only at the time. It reliably touched off everything except S&B which would fail at a rate of 1 round per 50.
I've got a 19# in my p228 which I converted to the new style short spring and it's been 100%

Don't expect a spring change to replace an action job. You'll see a little less DA pull and a minute amount in SA.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post