SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shot an old Kahr K9 observations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot an old Kahr K9 observations Login/Join 
posted
When Kahr first came out I bought a nickeled one. Very early, 3 digit serial number in fact. Loved it in my hand knew it would be a favorite for years to come. The I shot it. End of love affair.

2 issues for me. Back then I kind of sucked using DA so i wasn’t very good with it. The other thing was I thought it had a tight chamber because cases would occasionally get stuck hard. Like banging slide against a wooden table hard to eject spent case. To the point that I would disassemble and hold barrel in hand a drop rounds into chamber to ensure they wouldn’t hang up.

Anyway, I pulled it out of safe the other day. Didn’t expect much. Actually single loaded the first bunch of rounds expecting issues using this shitty Russian Barnaul ammo I got real cheap. PS, it’s really cheap for a reason, once I shoot through these 4 cases I wouldn’t buy it again.

Well I had no issues and started loading up full mags. As much as I like arguing with jljones I am a closet disciple of his videos and training. Started following Langdon as well for his DA knowledge and love the DA stuff now. Well it turns out the Kahr still has about the smoothest nicest DA stroke of any unaltered gun I have ever shot.

Zero malfunctions and smooth stroke equated to an outstanding range session. Hard to miss kind of session. I gotta bring this out more often.

Posts: 7331 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I worked in a gun shop. Back then, when Kahr were new, we couldn't give them away. We even mistakenly took one in on trade when we couldn't sell the NIB one that we had. So, like a sad unwanted puppy, I took them home. I actually enjoyed shooting them. Heck, even found some nice wood grips for one of them.

But we didn't have CCW in that state when I lived there, so they sat in the safe as well. Throughout the Clinton ban, I enjoyed these guns because the mags were cheap and I rather bring a single column pistol to a range than a large pistol neutered down to 10 rounds. This was when I pared down my pistols to H&K P7M8, Sig P225, Walther P5 Compact, and Kahrs...

After the ban sunset, they became the bastard children again in the safe. Pretty much sat in the corner until one day, a Sig P229 Elite at a gun show got the better of me and they got traded.

Every now and then, I get an inkling to pick one up again. There is a Kahr MK9 at the local gun shop...hmmm....

Posts: 1342 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The steel pistols are great. I haven't been impressed with my polymer kahrs.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Kahrs are one of those guns you either love or despise. I'm in the love camp.

The K9 is a great gun. It's heavy which allows it to be a pretty darn soft shooting gun for its size and width, but that width is what allows it to be concealable.

That said the S&W Shield is my current favorite single-stack 9mm. Everything about that gun just feels right to me.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4190 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Found this at the gun store a few years ago. Had been looking at Kahr pistol for a while. When this showed up, I couldn't pass it up.

Nothing fancy about it. From what I can determine, I believe it is a first year production.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine looks just like that but a lower serial number and nickel. It is a nice shooter. The weight is an attribute in this gun.

Posts: 7331 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a k9 blem. no problems with it .just purchased a new blemished mk40 for I think $375 + shipping and transfer fee. total cost $425.from what I could find that's around $300 less than a new no blem.gun.don't know what the blemish is on either gun. for me mk40 is a nice gun for $425 but at $700 I would buy something else.
P1000491 by scott shafer, on Flickr

Posts: 83 | Registered: December 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought the K9 is a brilliant CCW pistol.

My only gripe with it is the long and weak reset making it prone to user-error short stroking.

The DA pull is very nice, sights are great, enough grip and heft for good recoil management and very thin.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a k9 blem. no problems with it .just purchased a new blemished mk40 for I think $375 + shipping and transfer fee. total cost $425.from what I could find that's around $300 less than a new no blem.gun.don't know what the blemish is on either gun. for me mk40 is a nice gun for $425 but at $700 I would buy something else.

Where did you find the blem guns?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
quote:

Where did you find the blem guns?

I have had the k9 for a few years now and havn't seen many blemished 9mms lately.just bought the mk40 from classic firearms.shows they still have 1 left .also saw the mk40 on buds gunshop and a few other sites.the blemished 9s usally cost more than the blemished 40s.
I always type in blemished when on gun sites never know what might show up.

https://www.classicfirearms.co...zm4043-mk40-3-ss-6rd

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...RD+7RD+CA+LEGAL+BLEM

Posts: 83 | Registered: December 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I've had a half dozen+ Kahrs. I really like that buttery smooth trigger and am perfectly happy with DAO!

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only gripe was that the top round seemed to work its way out of the magazine when I had the mags loaded, in a range bag.

Other than that, my K9 functioned very well.

Sold it for a S&W M&P9c. No major complaints- I can't own hundreds of guns [$ and wife], so have to make choices. And I live in Ca, so CCW is not easy to get.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have always liked my P9. It is surprisingly accurate and a good shooter. The trigger is a touch heavy, but smooth and is easier to shoot well than you would expect.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is when I shot it I instantly remembered why I bought it. The DAO stroke is silky smooth and pretty light. My biggest issue was the stuck cases. That was over 20 years ago though. After that I cleaned it put it away and it has sat there unloved. Some part of my caveman brain must have saw this coming because over the years I did pick up a really nice Garrett Industries iwb holster for it.

Actually looked at new sights for it yesterday. Low on the list but starting to address better/night sights for it.

posted Hide Post
+1 on K9 elite Stainless with NightSights. Love the DA trigger pull. Operates flawlessly and very accurate and is in the regular EDC rotation.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thread, prompted me to dig my K40 Elite out from the back of the safe for the next trip to the range.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 367 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Id rather own a high point. Or a Lorcin. Or a Jennings.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Id rather own a high point. Or a Lorcin. Or a Jennings.

I wouldn't. I've had nothing but positive experience's with Kahr product. CM9, PM9, MK9, and CW9 have been 100% reliable, accurate and easy to handle.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I've been drinking Justin Moon's Kool-Aid for quite some time. The MK9 and MK40 are just about as tiny and light as you would want in a sub. They fill a role in my stable that no other pistol does. A Remora or Bianchi retention system makes them disappear at the waist.

Most people either love them or hate them.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
They fill a role in my stable that no other pistol does.

What role?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post