SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    North American Arms "Earl" mini revolver
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North American Arms "Earl" mini revolver Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
Anybody have one? I dig the name. Wink

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. I haven't shot it much. It keyholes a bit. Apparently it's hit or miss with the rifling, some are quite rough. Mine is. It can be sent in for work. I called them about it; they'll do it. I enquired about getting another cylinder; they have to fit it and said they could do it at the same time. I've just never gotten to it.

The NAA revolvers are a little different than most in the way the hammer/pin is configured, and where it rests. It rests directly on the cartridge, which is dangerous. To prevent that when the pistol is loaded, there are cylinder half-way notches, between the cartridges. One must manually rotate the cylinder and ensure that the firing pin is resting in the notch between the cylinders.

Doing that requires using both hands and carefully aligning it, trigger pulled. If the hammer gets bumped or moved, it will rotate the cylinder and can in that condition discharge the revolver. It's partially for that reason that the NAA revolvers should always be in a holster or container if the cylinder is loaded.

They're fun little shooters, but require some care.

The Earl is a little more expensive. So long as it's understood that the pistol is chiefly an entertainment device and one that requires some caution, no problem.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Guppy

Is yours a magnum?

I used to have a 1 5/8" barrel NAA 22LR that keyholed but none of my magnums have.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Found an Earl for cheap. Sweet shootin' and has the conversion barrel. No keyholes that I can remember. Looks great with the boot style grips.

Almost as much fun as the Mini Master in .17 HMR, but the ammo is easier to find.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Guppy

Is yours a magnum?

I used to have a 1 5/8" barrel NAA 22LR that keyholed but none of my magnums have.

Mine is a .22 magnum.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a .22 magnum NAA.

Until...

In one of those "you ain't gonna believe this shit" situations, I was sitting on a couch and it slipped out of my pocket/Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Several minutes later, after much tossing/turning on the couch, I found it under the couch cushion.

It had become cocked . I shit thee not. No idea how the trigger didn't get pulled. I counted my blessings on that one.

I never carried it again.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Eek

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
A relative has one, never interested me for whatever reason. I bottom out with an LCP at the mini gun level.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i've carried mine, 22 mag every day for years with the laser its not bad, always have it with me somewhere pocket holster leather, and on a neck chain when walking my 8 miles a day ,got attacked by dogs one morning saved my life ,you never know....

Clint

"The most important rule in a knifefight is: Always win - and cheat if necessary".

Posts: 11 | Location: san diego | Registered: October 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
"I asked you what's the name of that pistol you have."

"What?"

"What kind of pistol is that?"

"Doing fine, thank you."

(Purpose of 22 Magnum mini revolvers.)

Blowing your eardrums to hell.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one for a snake gun. I carry a Bond in 410/45 Colt now. The NAA firearms are more of a curiosity for me now. Fun to shoot, but not my first choice for carry.

Posts: 102 | Location: N.E. Wyoming | Registered: May 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Don't have an Earl but have owned and carried several NAA's without ever having a problem. I currently carry a Pug .22 Mag and a .22lr cylinder. Pocket carry in their leather holster everyday. Has a night sight on the front. Love their pistols. You can find kydex holsters that cover the hammer and trigger.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've carried, when a very small, up close and personal defensive firearm is needed... a NAA .22Mag Mini Mag 1 1/8 inch with oversize rubber grips and IWB holster... for many years.

Never have had a problem of any kind and when out running, especially in remote places, I like to have the Mini Mag with me. Better to have this than nothing!

And... I would NEVER want to get shot by a .22Mag... especially up close. Neither would a bad guy!

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have always thought those mini .22s would be better than nothing, but not much better. To me they are like a 3d backup gun, at most.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Loaded with rat shot, might be preferable to going mano a mano with a rattle snake, though.

posted Hide Post
The wife has the 22 mag NAA she carries every time she walks the dogs in a Desantis pocket holster.
I started to buy one when I stopped and asked myself what the Hell do I need that for and that was the end of that idea.

*** A Proud NRA Benefactor Member***

Posts: 212 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Loaded with rat shot, might be preferable to going mano a mano with a rattle snake, though.

I'm not sure how much shot you could pack in there or how far it would carry enough energy to whack a snake.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry an NAA 22Mag. 1 1/8" with the folding clip-grip daily, as a backup to my S&W 640. I've found the accuracy to be more than adequate out to around 10yds. or so, and (given my eyesight and steadiness) that's saying something.

Those little guns are just so very well made, that everyone should own at least one.

Posts: 116 | Registered: March 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have never shot a mini-revolver. I don't suppose it would be easy to cock and fire them quickly one-handed. Maybe the Black Widow, with its larger grip?

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post