SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Grayguns P320 trigger question - Longer reset?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grayguns P320 trigger question - Longer reset? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I just installed a curved PELT in one of my P320s tonight. The trigger pull is a couple pounds lighter, as advertised.

However, the trigger reset length is also noticeably longer now. I don't have a way to measure it, but in comparing it to my unmodified P320 as well as my memory of the previous pull, it seems about 50% longer.

Is this normal, or did I mess something up with the installation?

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, It is simple mechanics. The trigger is essentially a lever system. The trigger is the effort arm and the part that extends above the fulcrum (axle) and connects to the trigger bar is the load arm. The Gray Guns trigger reduces the trigger pull by shortening the load arm compared to the stock trigger. The trigger bar still needs to move the same distance in order to activate all of the sear functions.

Since the load arm is shorter, the effort arm (the trigger) must move further in order to move the trigger bar the same distance. With all of this in mind, it also increases the distance between initial sear contact and sear releasing the shot and the distance after the shot fires before the sear resets.

The new Apex reduced effort triggers uses this same method, but the load arm is not quite as short as the Gray Guns trigger, so the pull weight reduction is less, but so are the distance changes.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hiya! RichN is fundamentally correct. However, our (patent-pending) design has features which help us "cheat" on this, so the practical effect on reset length is not objectionable. Most shooters don't notice the +/- 13% typical measured difference. What you will notice, perhaps, is a softer feel to the reset owing to the feedback effect of that leverage change, and that translates to a perception that the reset is longer. It's really not. If you used our reduced rate trigger bar spring, that softer feel is accentuated, which is why we recommend the factory spring be used for most normal applications, and for duty. I thank you for trusting us with this component, and hope my explanation helps you.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
If you used our reduced rate trigger bar spring, that softer feel is accentuated, which is why we recommend the factory spring be used for most normal applications, and for duty.

I stuck with the factory trigger bar spring.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
Get some Lucas Extreme Duty Grease from Top Gun Supply and SIG Pro Shop

-Bruce
FINALLY! After all these years, we finally find out what "damn grease" is.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post