SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    W. German P220 Questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

W. German P220 Questions Login/Join 
posted
Hello.

A W. German P220 was my second duty weapon in the mid-90s, and it made quite a mark on me. I recently bought this one from a fellow SF member and it's a laser. Uncanny accurate. I'd forgotten about the accuracy of the P220. I've started shooting this P220 in USPSA Single Stack Division, and some issues have come up, so I wanted to ask advice from the experts here.

*First, the sights are the older mid-90s Sig night sights and the tritium has long since burned out, but these sights are DEAD ON. Problem is, I just can't see them. I'm 48 and have serious glaucoma, so I need to upgrade sights to a high visibility set, such as Trijicon HD with the orange front. The problem is, these sights are so SPOT ON, that I'm hesitant to change them out because it might hurt me in competition accuracy, but I'm to the point that the current sight set is no longer useful. I'm leaning toward the Trijicon HDs, but I am open to any and all suggestions. Thoughts?

*Second, I had my second double feed in USPSA competition last Saturday. The first occurred during my last trip to the range in late April. My P220 was clean, the extractor isn't broken or chipped, I was using Speer Lawman 230-grain ball, and the pistol was lubed with Super Lube grease. I think the fault might be with my blued ACT range mags. Here's my reasoning. At the USPSA match, I chambered my first round, and attempted to remove the mag so that I could put another full 8-round mag in the gun, giving me 9 rounds total in the gun. When I tried to remove the first mag after chambering the first round, the second round was partially stripped from the mag, lodged between the chambered round and mag feed lips, and the round fell to the ground after I finally got the mag out. I think this is why the stainless P220 magazines have the dimple...to prevent this very thing. In all these years, I've never even seen a P220 malfunction, but I've had 2 in 2 outings. I think it's the blued ACT mags. Has anyone experienced this with the same combo?

*Lastly, this gun is slippery as hell. I'm in Arkansas, but it might as well be the Philippines with all the humidity. In fact, it was so humid that we had 4 Filipino shooters who were complaining that they should go back to Manila where it's less humid. I'm not joking. Cool My P220 has the original grips, and of course, the front-strap isn't serrated. By stage 4, it was all I could do to hang on to the gun with my support hand, which often wound up at the bottom of the frame, barely clinging to the gun. If I'm going to continue competing in USPSA Single Stack with this gun, I've got to make some changes. I was thinking of adding Hogue G10 grips and a Talon Grips rubber front strap to my P220. I'm open to any advice you guys have about making my P220 better in USPSA competition and self-defense.

I've attached some pics of my P220 as it looks now. You can see the sights and an example of the ACT mag. I apologize for the crooked pic. I've fixed it 5 times, but it keeps downloading sideways. I appreciate your input and advice on this P220, especially sight recommendations. Thanks for your time.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Use OEM mags and get a Hogue Handall or replacement grip panels.

Recommend Trijicon HD sights as well.

Great P220 you have there, I have 1995 build myself!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I tried to remove the first mag after chambering the first round, the second round was partially stripped from the mag...

SIG added a dimple on their factory/Mec-Gar magazines to prevent that:

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Use OEM mags and get a Hogue Handall or replacement grip panels.

Recommend Trijicon HD sights as well.

Great P220 you have there, I have 1995 build myself!

Thanks, Rhino, for your advice. I figured as much with the magazines.

You're right. This thing is a piece of work.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
When I tried to remove the first mag after chambering the first round, the second round was partially stripped from the mag...

SIG added a dimple on their factory/Mecgar magazines to prevent that:

10-4. I have 2 of those and was saving them for duty use, but lesson learned. I'll just buy more of the stainless OEM mags and put the ACTs up for range use only. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Hogue G10 piranhas on my 220s. 3M traction tape or skateboard tape works great on the front strap!

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I installed a set of E2 grips on my WG 220, feels great and it's a shooter. I was thinking about getting the barrel recrowned. Sure will tighten up the groups. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
You shoot the P220 in single stack division? I thought that was only for 1911's.

Hogue G10's
They are THE best grips I have found for a P220 and Sig feels the same way as they are on their Legion series guns.
As for your sights, Trijicon HD;s or there's a newer company called Night Fision which has similar night sights for a bit cheaper.
https://www.nightfision.com/pr...sights-for-sig-sauer

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
You shoot the P220 in single stack division? I thought that was only for 1911's.

Hogue G10's
They are THE best grips I have found for a P220 and Sig feels the same way as they are on their Legion series guns.
As for your sights, Trijicon HD;s or there's a newer company called Night Fision which has similar night sights for a bit cheaper.

I sure do, yes. Single Stack Major Power. My local gun club is very strict on the rules, but on page 85 of the USPSA Single Stack rulebook, it says, "1911 pistols." Interesting. Perhaps there's a rules allowance for the P220 that I'm not seeing? I searched YouTube and others are shooting the P220 in Single Stack, too, so I just don't know.

One of the reasons I wanted to shoot the P220 in Single Stack is because another guy does and I wanted to compete against him, plus, I wanted to show the guys how much more reliable my P220 was than their 1911s. You see how that worked out for me!!!!

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
quote:

Hogue G10's

I sure do, yes. Single Stack Major Power. My local gun club is very strict on the rules, but on page 85 of the USPSA Single Stack rulebook, it says, "1911 pistols." Interesting. Perhaps there's a rules allowance for the P220 that I'm not seeing? I searched YouTube and others are shooting the P220 in Single Stack, too, so I just don't know.

One of the reasons I wanted to shoot the P220 in Single Stack is because another guy does and I wanted to compete against him, plus, I wanted to show the guys how much more reliable my P220 was than their 1911s. You see how that worked out for me!!!!

Haha. Yeah, you showed them. Wink
Get some factory mags and I'm sure it'll fix your problem.
I'll have to ask some of the guys who run our local leagues and see if they'd let me squeak by too. I'll even take the disadvantage of starting with my hammer down.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Hogue G10's

Ryan, thank you for turning me on to the Night Fision sights. I've been reading and watching reviews, and they are off the charts positive. I may order a set for my P220 before the next match. Thanks for this information.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Heinie 8s on my P220 in .38 Super. Works for me, but the Night Fision sights should seem more familiar and no learning curve.

I'd also recommend the Hogue checkered aluminum grips just about every time. I have them on my P238 HD, most P220s, and Desert Eagles.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
quote:

Hogue G10's

Ryan, thank you for turning me on to the Night Fision sights. I've been reading and watching reviews, and they are off the charts positive. I may order a set for my P220 before the next match. Thanks for this information.

You're welcome. I'm happy to help.

posted Hide Post
Since this is a range gun you compete with in daylight, ditch the night sights and then take a look at the Novak website. They make a sight for older eyes that might be of help to you. I have ACT mags that have been trouble free for me but only use the factory mags for carry. And Talon Grips would a cheap and easy fix for slippery grips.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a range gun, Langdon Tactical turned me on to Warren Tactical sights with a Dawson fiber optic front sight. Great combo! His sights of choice for his 220ST when he was winning just about everything IDPA in 2003-2005. Still works well for my aging 55+ eyes.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the outstanding advice. I am very grateful for your help.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
You might consider just replacing the front sight with a bright dot/fiber optic. That way you could measure exactly and get the same front sight height and leave the rear alone. Remember Dawson measures to the slide and SIG measures to the bottom of the dovetail.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
You might consider just replacing the front sight with a bright dot/fiber optic. That way you could measure exactly and get the same front sight height and leave the rear alone. Remember Dawson measures to the slide and SIG measures to the bottom of the dovetail.

Thank you! That's good information. I had considered this option, too. Appreciate it. I used to have such good vision, 20/10 at times, but those days are gone.

certified biohazard
posted Hide Post
just got this on mags;
https://www.cdnnsports.com/220...CDNN+Special+5-22-18

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke

Posts: 533 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of the Hogue re-checkered grips.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post