SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Entry Level 1911s
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Entry Level 1911s Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Rock Island and Ruger. I've shot and/or owned examples now from both companies and have been satisfied with the quality and value that their intro-level products offer.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am in love with my Smith & Wesson all stainless 1911. Vintage 2006. Was affordable used.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I have been pleased with my Rock Island full size and my Citadel Compact. Both in 9mm.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Any word on the PSA 1911s? I’ve read somewhere that the frames are Korean forged and they are final-machined in GA, assembled in SC.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Colt.....If you wish to ever sell it, it will go for more than the Rugers or Smiths any day of the week.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
I picked up my first 1911 a few weeks ago, A Springfield Armory Milspec.

I haven't shot it yet. Hope to get to the range this weekend.

My older brother has one and is happy with his Springfield.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 621 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glock Stock & Barrel
Picture of gtmtnbiker98
posted Hide Post
Save a few more hundred and get a Dan Wesson. No MIM, hand fitted, semi custom 1911. Well worth the money. They use Ed Brown safety levers, grip safety, and slide catch. EGW barrel bushings that are tight as hell. Buy once, cry once.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4436 | Location: Southcentral Ohio | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of those that you listed, Sig's have more features such as checkered front strap, night sights (on many models), extended slide release, ambi safety, etc. My Tacop has been completely reliable and is very accurate. I also have a Ruger 5", and it is also a very nice pistol for a few hundred less. S&W also makes a quality 1911. Unless I wanted to venture into DW territory, I would pick from those three.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Colt 1991 series. Excellent value and quality at this point in time.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
You know what a RIA GI is worth at the trade-in counter? 'Bout $300. You know what a RIA with $1000 worth of upgrades is worth at the trade-in counter? 'Bout $300. Wink

These are my exact thoughts. You really can't go wrong with a Colt. Also pay a little more and get the model (of any 1911) that has the sights, grip safety, trigger etc. already on it. Because to do it later takes a lot of wait time and more expense.

Agreed on both posts, especially Jimmy's.

I went cheap the first time with a SA mil spec. Cost me about $100 to get the slide cut for sights, cost of sights before I said to hell with it.

It's just like a car. You don't buy a stock Corvette to modify it when there are people out there selling their modded cars for pennies on the dollar. Same applies to guns. After that first mil spec, I only get what's ready to carry out of the box. Not sending my pistols in and losing them for weeks/months and spending hundreds for it to be worth what I paid for it.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Springfield Armory builds fine 1911s.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
You know what a RIA GI is worth at the trade-in counter? 'Bout $300. You know what a RIA with $1000 worth of upgrades is worth at the trade-in counter? 'Bout $300. Wink

These are my exact thoughts. You really can't go wrong with a Colt. Also pay a little more and get the model (of any 1911) that has the sights, grip safety, trigger etc. already on it. Because to do it later takes a lot of wait time and more expense.

Agreed on both posts, especially Jimmy's.

I went cheap the first time with a SA mil spec. Cost me about $100 to get the slide cut for sights, cost of sights before I said to hell with it.

It's just like a car. You don't buy a stock Corvette to modify it when there are people out there selling their modded cars for pennies on the dollar. Same applies to guns. After that first mil spec, I only get what's ready to carry out of the box. Not sending my pistols in and losing them for weeks/months and spending hundreds for it to be worth what I paid for it.

Not everyone trades in guns. Smile

I’m on the lookout for a clean used Colt *after* I beat this cancer. I’m also pleased with the RIA ULTRA, its feature set, and what I have in it.

So, anyone in the know on the PSA 1911s?

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post