SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Entry Level 1911s
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Entry Level 1911s Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
Not too long ago I picked up a RIA Ultra TAC II Midsize after being away from 1911s for awhile. It’s purpose is a range fun gun, and it had features I liked in a $650 gun.

I’ve been somewhat bitten by the JMB 1911 bug again, and I’m curious about the lower end or entry type offerings out there, some of which I’ve listed in the poll. There may be sleepers out there I’m not aware of or just forgot about.

Question:
In the category of Entry Level 1911, what would you lean toward as a good mix of value and reliability?

Choices:
Colt
PSA
Armscor/RIA
ATI
Springfield
Ruger
Kimber
Remington
SIG
Other

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt or Springfield.

Posts: 239 | Registered: April 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Springer or Colt.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Very happy with my Ruger SR1911.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Colt or Springfield

THey are more valuable to you later on and they are fully customizable by most smiths.

That being said, I've had really great success with S&W.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Ruger have been solid...

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 for Colt.
First pistol I ever fired was a Marine Capt' s self 'smithed Colt 1911 in the 80s.
Then read the 1st edition (late 80s) of Bill Wilson's 1911 Combat Auto, when Springfield and very few other brands were making headway in 1911 production (Wilson's primary focus was customizing 1911s). Words to the effect, with all things being equal and someone were to offer you one free, he would choose the Colt. He probably has changed his tune since then but I'm sticking with the Colt. Because at the end of the day, in 1911 the choice was Colt. And when I'm done and gone, my kids, and my kids' kids, will have a Colt, just like me.

Of course Sig P220s are also theirs someday!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: madmatt,

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I voted Kimber based on my overall experience, not just the 1911 itself. Most any of them can screw together a solid 1911 any day of the week. All of them will occasionally have something slip out sooner or later.

Their CS is top notch. I bought a used Kimber from a pawn shop. Got it for peanuts because the extractor was missing. Called Kimber CS saying I need a stainless extractor for a 17mach2. Was told that they no longer have a 17mach2, but one for a 22lr would work. They mailed me the extractor for free without me asking. Their other option that was offered was for me to mail them my 17mach2 and they would ship me a brand new 22lr (also for free). They can also tell you when your 1911 was made based on the serial in about two minutes.

My other Kimber is a 10mm. After the first box or so of break-in, it has ran great ever since. Very accurate.

I was able to find some Kimber magwells and carbon-fiber grips for both and I couldn't be happier.

Kimber CS beats the snot out of other manufacturers of 1911s costing three times as much (STI + CS = AMFYOYO).

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have the Ruger 9mm Commander and a SIG compact and both have been flawless. My brother has whoever makes that 22tcm/9mm 1911 and he's had no issues.

And believe it or not, a coworker has a Taurus 1911 that he's used for years with no issues.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
If things go well with this cancer business, I’d love to find a nice well cared for 70 Series basic Colt maybe by the new year.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would spend a few more $ and get a Dan Wesson. Love my CCO-my first 1911.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I voted Ruger. I don't think you can do better for a reasonably priced 1911.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Ruger is a solid 1911, built to last.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1550 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my S&W 1911

Posts: 5740 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Colt.

As an entry level pistol, it is the one which has the very best rating of value retention.

If you decide you're not a fan, you can get 'most' of your investment back. And if you decide to build a beast, at least you'll have a quality name and a solid starting point.

Rather you plan to keep it forever, or pass it on to family, you - or your family - won't regret you buying a Colt.

While ATI or RIA or others may be very fine guns, they'll never retain a value of more than any other import 1911 clone. No matter what you invest in it.

You know what a RIA GI is worth at the trade-in counter? 'Bout $300. You know what a RIA with $1000 worth of upgrades is worth at the trade-in counter? 'Bout $300. Wink

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I think Ruger has made a very solid, affordable entry level 1911.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
There are cheaper than Ruger (RIA) and more expensive (Colt, Dan Wesson etc.). If you can find a gently loved SR1911 for around $600. Take it home. Wink

Posts: 3505 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JenniferG
posted Hide Post
I have a Springfield and that's why I voted Colt.

Posts: 104 | Registered: January 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SR1911. Then ship it to The Action Works.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
Colt.

As an entry level pistol, it is the one which has the very best rating of value retention.

If you decide you're not a fan, you can get 'most' of your investment back. And if you decide to build a beast, at least you'll have a quality name and a solid starting point.

Rather you plan to keep it forever, or pass it on to family, you - or your family - won't regret you buying a Colt.

While ATI or RIA or others may be very fine guns, they'll never retain a value of more than any other import 1911 clone. No matter what you invest in it.

You know what a RIA GI is worth at the trade-in counter? 'Bout $300. You know what a RIA with $1000 worth of upgrades is worth at the trade-in counter? 'Bout $300. Wink

These are my exact thoughts. You really can't go wrong with a Colt. Also pay a little more and get the model (of any 1911) that has the sights, grip safety, trigger etc. already on it. Because to do it later takes a lot of wait time and more expense.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post