SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 Arched MSH
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 Arched MSH Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
Who here prefers this setup? I just had one installed on my 10mm RIA 1911 & I have to say, I like it. The point of the grip bottom, with a flat MSH, has always dug into my hand. That is now alleviated.
Also, it seems to have made the transition from my glocks not nearly as noticeable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hudr,

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I prefer the arch, they fit my hand and just point better for me.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's strictly a personal preference, hand fit thing. Use whatever works for you.

All of my 1911's have/have had the flat MSH. Never had an issue with it. Points better for my hand/grip. If I had to use the arched, the world would not end. Just a minor adjustment. Been shooting 1911's since 1972.

One nice thing with the 1911 platform is the ability to tailor it to your needs and preferences.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting thought. I like the FEEL of the arched, even better than a P225. But I have been competing with flat housings (and ugly Pachmayr wraparound rubber grips) for so long that I would have to work at making the change.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Due to the size of my hands, I much prefer using a flat mainspring housing but have used arched housings in the past.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You can get very nice wedge shaped ones too. Most I have seen have nice checkering.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah turns out I absolutely do not like them but as mentioned it's a hand size and preference thing.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am an "arched MSH" guy. I have changed over many straight ones.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Can one get an arched MSH & a bobbed grip?

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Have the flat MSH on my 1911s. Same with the 2011s.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
As several have pointed out it is a personal ergonomic preference. For me I find flat MSH work best although I have one 1911 with an Ed Brown wedge MSH that I stippled along with some other surfaces of this Colt MK IV. It's okay as it isn't as "drastic" as a curved MSH, still....

And no hudr, I've never seen a bobtailed 1911 with a curved MSH. That said I suppose a decent 'smith could come up with something to suit.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I prefer arched and it really irritates me that most manufacturers and "semi-custom" houses don't or won't offer them.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
I prefer arched and it really irritates me that most manufacturers and "semi-custom" houses don't or won't offer them.

Exactly! I've lost count on how many 1911's I've purchased knowing I was going to have to change out the MSH to an arched one.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
Another arched MSH fan. The first center fire pistol I shot was a USN 1911A1. With its arched MSH and short trigger it fit my hand like it was made for it. I still put short triggers in all my 1911s, but leave them with the flat MSH. Not because I prefer it, but changing it out is a PITA.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 954 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Top let me swap weapons for an arched housing many years ago. He said he never had a private who actually cared before. Had to requal, though-another range trip never bothered me.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My first ever 1911, a Colt Government Model had an arched MSH, I gave it no thought, sold the gun after owning it for 25 years. Fast forward 15 years later, my two 1911's sport flat MSH's, and I still give the MSH no thought.

Either ones just plain work for me.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Warhorse. I've used both and can't recall it ever making a difference to me.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two model 1911s. My first one had an arched mainspring housing which I thought was fine. I then bought a RIA with a polymer flat mainspring housing.

I found that I liked the flat profile, but the edges of the polymer MSH on the RIA were sharp, so I replaced it with a steel, flat MSH.

I have come to prefer the flat profile to the arched, but it is not a huge difference.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Who here prefers this setup?

I've always had a flat MSP, along with either a medium or long trigger length, and didn't think anything about it.

Then last year I picked up a 1970s Colt with arched MSH and short trigger. It became my instant favorite. That said, I continue to shoot guns with flat and arched. Not a deal breaker either way, though given my druthers I'll always opt for the arched-short trigger combo.

Posts: 41 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: August 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Mine are all flat but are bob tailed. No right or wrong just personal preference.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post