SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 Arched MSH
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 Arched MSH Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I have 1911 with both but generally prefer a Flat MSH.

Some say Mr Browning got it right with the flat MSH the 1st time.
The 1911A1 got the arched MSH over the 1911. This was to correct the tendency to shoot low when pointed and fired (point shooting). It (the arched MSH) in fact did just the opposite when the gun was raised to eye level and aimed with original sights.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
On all of my 1911's I have an arched MSH and a short trigger. This combo fits me the best.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Army went to the arched mainspring housing in 1917 I think it was because they pointed more naturally with them. Seems like all of the commercial ones followed suit until sometime in the 80's and now the trend is back to flat ones.

I prefer the arched mainspring housing over the flat......But have both and shoot both fine.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I would think that given my Glock tendencies I might prefer the less upright backstrap with the arched mainspring housing. However all I've ever had with my 1911s are flat/flush MSHs (though one is in a fastback configuration). Seems that all I ever notice is that they feel skinny and uncomfortably un2x4-like any way one scores it. Wink

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also prefer arched, very few if any modern handguns have a flat backstrap.

Posts: 48 | Registered: August 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, one of the first and few things I changed on my Colt Combat Commander, was the arched MSH. The other was the short trigger. The flat MSH and long trigger work a lot better for me but as someone else said, it's just a matter of preference.

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Flat housing with a long trigger is my preference.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I greatly prefer an arched MSH with a long trigger.

As many have said, it's all personal preference.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I prefer an arched MSH. The pistol naturally points low with a flat housing.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
I prefer an arched MSH. The pistol naturally points low with a flat housing.

This

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arched and short triggers. How I have my 1911’s set up

Posts: 4756 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
Another fan of the arched housing, I just shoot better with it.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the flat MSH and long triggers for my 1911's. The arched MSH causes me to point high. With the flat MSH, I seem to be naturally on target. I think that I could get used to an arched MSH, but why bother when the flat works so well. In the end, it is personal preference.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post