Find
Notify
Tools

P226 mags Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
Factory 15 rounders or Mec-Gar 18 rounders?

Which do you prefer?

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Mec Gars.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Mec Gars. I've used dozens of them and they've been nothing short of perfection for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Then again, I'm a complete stranger. What the hell does it matter what I think? (TM)

Posts: 191 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: December 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with factory (aren't they, or didn't they used to be, made by Mec-Gar?), but the only time I've bought anything except 17- and 18-round Mec-Gars in the past several years is when I bought Mec-Gars with the +2 bases already installed.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig factory mags in the past were generally mecgar. But at some point the factory switched to checkmate. Those had some teething issues but I'm told nowdays are generally OK.
I would pick a mecgar mag over a checkmate factory one every time. An factory mag made in Italy or a german one is a wash.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ziggy308
posted Hide Post
Second that for Mec Gars

need to post picks for item up for sale

Posts: 566 | Location: lost in Illinois | Registered: March 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes

As-in yes factory 15 rounders (when made by Mec-Gar) and Mec-Gar 18 rounders and Mec-Gar branded 15 rounders and 20 rounders for extra credit!

I've never had any Check-mate Sig mags, but been issued plenty of them for M9s. Never shot enough M9 to know if they have an issue. When deployed, I only carried 3 Beretta factory mags (made by Mec-Gar Wink ) outside the wire.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either / or for me. I often look for cheap used factory Sig 226 mags. The majority of them I have found work just fine but appear worn. And you can also rebuild them.
I have some new Mec-Gars that are fine but pick them up only when I can find them on sale.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I have three flavors of 226 so I have a bunch of 15 round factory mags. I like the flush fit, but the 18 round MecGars only stick out slightly more than the 15 rounders. I'm fine with either.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Your subject line should be clearer.

Come on, guys. It's not that hard.

"P226 mags- Factory 15 rounders or Mec-Gar 18 rounders?"

Posts: 107570 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I bought a nice supply of the best factory P226 mags made, so I use those. And if you are wondering what those are, its the made by Mecgar in Italy 15 rd mag in the really smooth black anti-friction coating. Followed by the same magazine in the blued steel coating.

The phosphate Mecgar mags I keep around for spare parts. But I don't use them for serious use, as they are not as good as the anti-friction coating or blued coating. And they caused us a ton of issues on the line with jams. The phosphate mags need dissembled and heavily scrubbed out on the inside with a brush.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
Mec-Gar AFC for the win.

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
18-round anti-friction Mec-Gars are all I use in my P226s.

________________________________________________________________________________________
“How dismal it is to see present day Americans yearning for the very orthodoxy that their country was founded to escape.” ~ Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 125 | Location: Pikesville, MD | Registered: February 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
SIG factory phosphate dovetail 15 rnd. mags, Mec-Gar Blued 17 rnd., Mec-Gar AFC 18 rnd. mags...I've used numerous examples of each, in several P226s and thousands of rounds. Never had a bit of trouble with any of the mags cycling the guns, with the exception of a couple isolated issues with some old SIG mags in which the magazine spring may be slightly worn.

The 15 and 17 rnd. mags are flush fit (a nice feature) and the 18 rnd. mags will provide for more capacity but with a corresponding extension past the grip frame.

I would trust any of the mags I listed for defensive use, but currently rely on the Mec-Gar AFC 18 rnd. mags when I carry 9mm. I'm debating whether switching back to the 17 rnd. mags for the flush fit is worth losing a single round of capacity.

I've even used a few non-marked P226 mags, likely Pro-mags, that have cycled various P226s with no issue, other than they intermittently fail to lock the slide back after the last round. I would not use these for defensive purposes and relegate them to range duty only.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I prefer the no longer made 17 round MecGar with the flush fitting metal base plate.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not been a fan of a lot of Mec-Gar mags for many years now. Since they went to the blue packaging. They changed to proprietary springs and all the mag springs are too weak IMO. And I don't like going through them to get new ones. Not all of the Mec-Gar mags are like this though. I'm mainly just not a fan of the Optimus line.

Please don't go stepping in with the factory mags are Mec-Gar made. Okay, I know. Some are, many aren't. There are a ton of different magazine manufactures out there. And if anyone has had experience working in a factory, even the same item has parts from different sub-vendors all the time. And Factory mags are built to different specs, even if they're made in the same factory as Mec-Gar branded mags.

Posts: 253 | Registered: January 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
I prefer the older zipperback, Sig marked mags for my 228s and 226s...never had a single issue..i do have some M'gar mags and they work fine, i guess its just a preference. matter of fact, I just bought 6 of the phosphate M'gar mags from the classified section

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bolo4tom:
I prefer the older zipperback, Sig marked mags for my 228s and 226s...never had a single issue..i do have some M'gar mags and they work fine, i guess its just a preference. matter of fact, I just bought 6 of the phosphate M'gar mags from the classified section

My biggest issue is the Mecgar mags with the OEM springs that are weak to begin with and need OEM replacement. Mainly the Optimus line. Aside from that, I don't have an issue with any of the old school Mecgar mags really. Even the hollow follower ones that some people dislike. I've not had a problem with them for the most part.

Posts: 253 | Registered: January 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I have been using factory 15 round USA made (Checkmate made?) SIG P226 9mm magazines for over 3 years now with no issues.

I expected them to not be reliable due to posts I had read in the forums, but my experience with them has been very positive and I now consider them to be just as good as German or Italian made magazines.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CAR:
I have been using factory 15 round USA made (Checkmate made?) SIG P226 9mm magazines for over 3 years now with no issues.

I expected them to not be reliable due to posts I had read in the forums, but my experience with them has been very positive and I now consider them to be just as good as German or Italian made magazines.

Early Checkmate mags had issues from what I read. But, subsequently, they are just as reliable as Mec-Gar and German mags. My current 229-1 and 226 Checkmates have been flawless, also.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post