SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Blue Loctite, Grease or Nothing on Grip Screws?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Loctite, Grease or Nothing on Grip Screws? Login/Join 
posted
I know this has been covered many times before.
I am putting Hogue rubber grips on a new 239 and need some advice as to what is the proper way to “lock” them in place. I did buy the hex head screws, as well. Is there a recommended torque or just tight?
Any input will be greatly appreciated..
Thanks.

Mike

"Shoot lower, Sheriff, They're ridin' shetlands"
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Start with nothing. If you have problems with them loosening, start with teflon tape. If that doesn't work, try purple loctite.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
If you don't have blue Loktite, nail polish can be substituted.
I've had success using polish on heavily recoiling Mosin Nagant and Mauser screws.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Grease here.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Snug them up with nothing. Better to lose a grip screw that strip out the frame. If bare naked doesn't work, use very thin rubber o-rings. They compress beneath the head of the screw and provide just enough friction.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I suppose it depends.

My P226/9, has never once backed out or loosened a screw, be it the stock ones, Hogue's hex heads or slots.

My P220 came with some Hogue hex heads, that didn't seem to back out. However, like you, I changed the grips to Hogue's fingergroove grips. I also changed the screws to stainless slotted, also from Hogue. I have on occasion noticed them loosening. I have taken the advice of arcwelder, and a few others here to use grease, and so far, so good.

May not be an issue on your pistol, but, the screws from Hogue extended into my magwell. I had to "create" some stainless grip screw washers to help keep them out of the magwell. Check your magwell and make sure your mags drop free like they are supposed to after installing your new grips and screws.

Good luck!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Advice here turned me on to Vibra-tite, a great alternative to Loctite. It's worked very well for me in several different applications.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibra-T...1&keywords=vibratite

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Advice here turned me on to Vibra-tite, a great alternative to Loctite. It's worked very well for me in several different applications.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibra-T...1&keywords=vibratite

What color do you use?
I’m not sure what way I’m going to go. I do have blue loctite on the shelf.
Thanks for all the replies.
Mike

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E. Wi. | Registered: October 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could always use star washers for spacing as well as securing the screw. I have used blue loctite on mine and never had an issue. I use it on pretty much every screw on a pistol.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrojanX4
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of loctite on grip screws, I'd go with grease or nothing.

Posts: 1874 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use blue loctite all the time. Cheap insurance and never stripped out a bushing. Even if you did, you can fix that. I also have used star washers or #60 O rings from Lowes/HD.

The O rings are cheap insurance and easy to acquire.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gentlemen. Lots of different choices. I guess I’ll start with either grease or blue Loctite because I have it here.
You guys rock!! Always there to take the time to lend a hand!
Thank you.

Mike

posted Hide Post
A very small dab of RTV silicon will work fine, too. The screw wont' back out, but will come out without difficulty when you want it to.

Be aware that grease doesn't actually hold the screw in, but it does do two things; it reduces the coefficient of friction between the screw and fitting, and it also allows the screw to be turned in tighter with the same amount of pressure, because now the threads are lubricated. This actually increases the opportunity to strip threads.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I was using blue Loctite, but found it a pain to remove, so I switched to nail polish.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Blue locktite for me.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Pink Loctite. Made for small screws. In order, pink, blue, red, green.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Purple loctite (222MS)

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Blue Loctite or blue threadlocker has NEVER been recommended by the manufacturers for fasteners smaller than 1/4" diameter. Pink Loctite is the way to go for for fasteners smaller than 1/4" diameter such as grip screws.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I normally use purple or blue Loctite depending upon the size of the screw, but I recently got some O-rings and will be experimenting with those.

Out of curiosity, how do you remove dried Loctite on screw threads. I thought that I read somewhere that nail polish remover (acetone) will do it.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you ever have trouble loosening a screw that has been loctited in, apply heat to the screw head with a soldering iron.

Posts: 12660 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post