SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anybody ever do heat and twist to Sig slide release?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody ever do heat and twist to Sig slide release? Login/Join 
posted
Just like the title says. I modded my 225A1 slide release to a much smaller profile because I kept hitting it. Changing grip became a non starter so I minimized the size which works as intended. However, it brings up another point on the 225A1which is that the slide lock is nearly impossible to manipulate with your thumb. So....

I just bought 2 239 slide releases which I’m pretty sure are the same. If not, look for a 239 slide release fire sale/karma. Lol. I have discovered that some folks heat up the end of slide release and bend it outwards and upwards to make it more useable. I figured that plus some judicious size reduction might be perfect.

I love the 225A1 but it’s not perfect. Yet.

Hints, suggestions, sarcasm, whatever. Bring it. I saw the guy online who does these mods but he wants 85 bucks to bend it which I thought was outrageous. I will buy a torch and watch YouTube till I can weld a battleship hull before I spend that!

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of winter_war
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried it but there's a YouTube video where a guy did it to a P226. He heated the slide catch lever tab with a torch. Then he bent it straight out and it cracked in the bend.

Posts: 755 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The old sport competition models had “extended comtrols” which were in fact just that, slide release was bent up a bit. I haven’t done this myself.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an aside I received the new slide catches from Numrich today. I installed one and it is the same, works fine. Then I noticed the portion that catches the magazine follower is different on the two. Anybody have a pic or know why?

The 225A1 has no cutout on that area, one of the 239 ones has a notch. Calling Numrich on Monday.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winter_war:
I haven't tried it but there's a YouTube video where a guy did it to a P226. He heated the slide catch lever tab with a torch. Then he bent it straight out and it cracked in the bend.

I've learned from getting into blacksmithing that the part needs to be heated and air cooled to room temp multiple times (3) before finally heating and bending into position.
Then it needs to be quenched to reharden.
As with most things, there's more to it than appears on the surface or you seriously risk breaking the part.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post