SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Problem with P226 custom barrel, suggestions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with P226 custom barrel, suggestions? Login/Join 
posted
I recently bought a 9mm conversion barrel (threaded) for my P226 40

With a suppressor, it will fire a freshly racked round, and appears to cycle the next one in.

Second shot fails everytime. Hammer falls and nothing happens. racking the gun ejects an unfire round.

Without the suppressor, same thing happens about 1 in 20 times.

I'm already working with the vendor but just want to know what else I can do to troubleshoot this.

Thanks

Posts: 3 | Registered: August 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Sounds like failure to completely return to battery because of the new barrel. Maybe it will need to be properly fitted. Just a wild guess.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The fact that the problem is most common with the suppressor is a clue. As suggested, it could be preventing the slide from going fully into battery.

Have you checked to see if the primer shows a firing pin mark?

Does the gun function properly with the original barrel?

Unlikely to be the problem, but have you checked the headspacing of the conversion barrel by dropping a loaded round into the chamber with the barrel removed from the pistol?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
Did you replace the recoil spring with a lighter 9mm one or does it still have the .40 spring in it?

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most Bar-Sto barrels need fitting, as they are sized to a partially worn gun. If your pistol had only a moderate amount of ammo through it, the barrel may need to be fitted. I purchased 5 Bar-Sto barrels, every one needed to be fitted.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Most Bar-Sto barrels need fitting, as they are sized to a partially worn gun. If your pistol had only a moderate amount of ammo through it, the barrel may need to be fitted. I purchased 5 Bar-Sto barrels, every one needed to be fitted.

That's odd, as they advertise that their semi-fit barrels should drop in w/o fitting 70% of the time. (My semi-fit did also require fitting. Had them do it for $65.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

That's odd, as they advertise that their semi-fit barrels should drop in w/o fitting 70% of the time. (My semi-fit did also require fitting. Had them do it for $65.)

70% means not 100%. So, nothing odd about it. Wink

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

70% means not 100%. So, nothing odd about it. Wink

Yes, but with a population size of 6, you'd think at least one would drop in!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will check the headspace.

it was fitted by the vendor, and test fired once, and it has the 9mm spring (orange).

Thanks for the suggestions

posted Hide Post
I think on one of the rounds I saw a pin mark, none on the rest.

posted Hide Post
quote:
have you checked the headspacing of the conversion barrel by dropping a loaded round into the chamber with the barrel removed from the pistol?

This is important if the barrel is Barsto because those have a very tight chamber and
some ammo will not fit properly.
Regards Jack

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used to sell a lot of Barsto barrels, especially
9mm conversion barrels for 226,229; and 239 and at least 80% would work in new guns, little bit higher
percentage would work in used guns.When they left 29 Palms in Ca, things seem to change? Seems
like "semi drop-ins" no longer "drop in"? IMHO,
semi drop in has always been a CYA tactic. Why not
buy a barrel that needs to be fitted by a gunsmith
in the first place, rather than a drop in that
likely needs fitting anyway? As many of you may know from my previous posts went to Glock after
my spinal and hip surgeries because of weight.
If you want quality Glock barrels, whether
9 conversion or OEM replacement, highly recommend KKM. High quality, quick service and
fair prices. Have 9 conversions, 40; and 357 Sig barrels for my Gen 4 23,27; and 35, happy with
all of them!

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMHO,
semi drop in has always been a CYA tactic. Why not
buy a barrel that needs to be fitted by a gunsmith
in the first place, rather than a drop in that
likely needs fitting anyway?

I think I agree. Since my semi-fit needed fitting, I wish I had just ordered their MT barrel (Match Target) in the first place. I'm not sure it made a difference in the end, though.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
If the OP would like to send the pistol to us, I’ll assess the barrel fit and mechanics and correct stuff as necessary as a favour (as long as the new barrel wasn’t ruined). This must be frustrating. Unfortunately we encounter ten bad or incomplete custom barrel fits for every one done properly. Bruce@grayguns.com

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Further proof that still is a class act! I'd take him up on his offer!

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
OP you are WELL advised to take Bruce up on his offer...

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post