SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver people, what do you think of the GP100?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver people, what do you think of the GP100? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Now the question is, what is the ideal barrel length for the GP-100, not intended for target use? 3 inch? 4 inch? Which balances better in-hand?

I ask because I've only held a 4", but heard good things about the 3", yet some say the 5" is where it's at.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Now the question is, what is the ideal barrel length for the GP-100, not intended for target use? 3 inch? 4 inch? Which balances better in-hand?

I ask because I've only held a 4", but heard good things about the 3", yet some say the 5" is where it's at.

Not using it for range or target? I think that leaves home defense, self defense, and hunting. For me, Home = 4", Self = 3", and Hunting = 5".

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I love the GP100. I have a 4" that I shot IDPA with, never any issues ever. The trigger is not as good as a Smith, but with a little work, it ain't bad. I had a 6" GP100 that I sold years back, it was a very accurate revolver.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have several. I love them. They are the best revolver out there.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I had one years ago but didn't really like it. IIRC, it had a pretty heavy, gritty trigger. Over the weekend I picked up a S&W 66-1 4" and went and shot it yesterday along with a friend's 4" GP100. The frame and especially the cylinder on the GP100 are noticeably beefier than the S&W K-frame. The trigger on the GP100 wasn't quite as nice as the S&W, but it was still pretty good. It's a pretty nice gun overall. He uses it so help ease newcomers into the sport, as it's a pussycat to shoot with .38's due to its weight. Even his 11 year old, who's pretty recoil sensitive, loves shooting it.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:

One of each...?

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Have a buddy that found a Nice Colt Trooper Mk4 for about $650. I saw a nice MK3 for way more and sent him a picture so he could brag to his wife what a great deal he got - Then I saw it and showed him the crack in the frame - he got real quiet. Then we went out and shot my 6" GP100 with Hunter sights - Nice he said.

His Mk4 is nice looking, but I don't want to shoot it.

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I detest that you have to remove the grip and trigger group just to isolate the cylinder and crane.

This is true, but it's a lot easier to remove the trigger group on a Ruger than it is in a Smith, and you don't have to worry about buggering up or losing the little side-plate screws, or damaging the side-plate itself. Ruger even includes a pin inside the grips to capture the hammer spring. I also prefer the Ruger cylinder release...it's smoother and doesn't tear a hole in the side of my thumb under recoil like my J-Frame does.

I'll admit that getting the cylinder off (and back on) the crane in the GP100 is a PITA...and I don't really understand the need for that stupid plunger/detent, either, as the SP101 doesn't have it. I will say I like the extractor rod design on the Smith's more...it feels much more solid and positive than the Ruger design.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The .357 round was originally designed with a four inch barrel length in mind and that is probably where the best overall performance arises IF you don't reload. As for the Ruger frame being "beefier", it's because it is a casting, whereas the S&W were forging. Google the "Where's the beef." ads & subsequent litigation.
Nonetheless, they are both fine revolvers. I own both.

Posts: 85 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use my 6 inch GP to hunt whitetail deer with. I load up 13.6 grains of H110 under a 180 grain XTP, and while it’s not a .38 wadcutter in the recoil department, I can shoot a couple hundred rounds in a sitting with no problem. This thing is as solid as the day I bought it 20 years ago. And it is superbly accurate.

Posts: 630 | Registered: September 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I've owned a stainless Ruger GP100 4" for over two decades and also owned a 6" model for a time as well. Still have the 4" because to me it was just the perfect .357 magnum revolver size, weight, and balance for all around use even though the 6" was great too. To reiterate what most have said, it is simply a well built tank. Some might have some reservations about the disassembly and engineering, but most of us will never need to even dissemble one to the extent described. Mine have been as accurate or even more so than others I've tried or owned (Smiths, Colt Python, Taurus, etc.) and I personally greatly prefer the cylinder release on the GP100 hands down. I know looks are very subjective, but I think it is actual a very handsome revolver, especially with the original rosewood insert grips.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Revolver people, what do you think of the GP100?

Very robust gun, I just recently sold mine, along with my S&W 329PD. Seeing as I no longer hunt, I felt I could use the money for other guns I've been wanting. Both of those guns were primarily meant to be carried in the woods in my opinion.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried 357s as a hunting sidearm for decades, until recently switching to a G20 for firepower. I have an old Blackhawk, a GP100 and a 686p. All are fine revolvers that are accurate and get the job done. The 686 had the best trigger out of the box, but a spring kit really helped the GP100. In a DA revolver you cannot go wrong with either a 686 or a GP100. All mine are 6" barrels.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have one and I love it. I use my Smith 19 for the range and the Ruger when I need to carry in the field. It's got a great trigger, locks up like a bank vault, is impervious to weather, and will double as a war club.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I bought a GPNY that a guy who worked at the Newport factory had owned. He did a trigger job on it that would put a Smith from the custom shop to shame. He also polished the hammer, trigger, ejector rod and some other small parts along with fitting a .357 cylinder. A unique piece that will get passed along some day rather than sold.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
I have had a 4" since the 1980's. A great "never sell" gun!

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
My 4" GP-100 is the one gun that goes with me every time I go shooting. My kids all shoot the Glocks and AR's, but I shoot the GP-100. I love it!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You dig
Picture of evolution
posted Hide Post
Well after thinking about it for literally a year I happened upon a barely used GP100-4". It was priced right so I brought it home with me. Finally an owner of a 357 GP-100.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bearverine
posted Hide Post
Heck, I don't know. I'm only up to 3 of the darn things....

Honestly, there's lots of stuff I like better about Smiths.

But there's lots to like about a GP, too, isn't there?

I am jelly of your 6 inch blue model.
I need one of those for huntin'.

As honor follows service, so the westerner travels to the east.

Posts: 478 | Location: Winchester, Indiana | Registered: April 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I like the GP100, but feel it is somewhat bulky for the caliber.

Been toying with the thought of one in 44spcl.
Turnbull has a gorgeous limited run of case hardened frames that are real lookers.

I'm a big fan of the Redhawk though.

Unorthodox, complex somewhat design aside.
Haven't seen or heard of these getting out of order.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post