SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    2011 9MM?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2011 9MM? Login/Join 
posted
Been thinking about a 2011 in 9MM. Purpose of the pistol, shoot it in Team Matches in which I shoot a bolt rifle and pistol.

Recently put my hands on a 2011 with a Phoenix Trinity Evo grip, fit my hand very well. Anyone have one of those? Who built your gun?

What mags (follower/springs) are you using? Anyone using the new style STI mags?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Been thinking about a 2011 in 9MM. Purpose of the pistol, shoot it in Team Matches in which I shoot a bolt rifle and pistol.

Recently put my hands on a 2011 with a Phoenix Trinity Evo grip, fit my hand very well. Anyone have one of those? Who built your gun?

What mags (follower/springs) are you using? Anyone using the new style STI mags?

PT makes good stuff. SVI built most of my guns, though I do have (and have had) stock STI's. I use old style SVI tubes with taran base plates and followers. I do have one new style 9mm STI mag, it functions. It locks the slide back with one left in the mag as most other mags do, but the body seems fine and the lack of a spacer for 9mm is appealing. That being said, I would probably buy old style SV tubes (if I could find them) or buy MBX mags vs the STI mags.

FWIW, the PT Evo is plug and play on most STI frames from my experience. I have several friends running them as well as a buddy who is one of their team shooters. It seems to be the grip of choice for price, quality, and convenience. But a steel grip adds a whole lot of unnecessary weight to a 9mm, in my opinion... ymmv

ETA: I believe PT is going to start offering full builds in the not too distant future.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tha1000, thanks for the reply.

I didn't know the slide locked back with one round in most mag. Shoot a STI 1911 Trojan 9mm now in comps, weight not a problem. Although add another 10 or so rounds... point taken.

Wish I could hang out with you and your buddies for a day and shoot all your guns! Having a big group of experienced LR shooters around me when I first got into it certainly helped me from making too many mistakes.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
tha1000, thanks for the reply.

I didn't know the slide locked back with one round in most mag. Shoot a STI 1911 Trojan 9mm now in comps, weight not a problem. Although add another 10 or so rounds... point taken.

Wish I could hang out with you and your buddies for a day and shoot all your guns! Having a big group of experienced LR shooters around me when I first got into it certainly helped me from making too many mistakes.

Go to a uspsa match or two... most will let you fondle their guns. Most file the follower, file the slide stop, or both to prevent the issue... it is allegedly due to competition followers and trying go cram max rounds in the mag... but im yet to find a stock mag that runs right 100% of the time either. The dude that solves that riddle will probably make some moneyy.

I just got a trojan in 40 today. Cant wait to put it through the paces.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
All of my stock STI 9mm mags work just fine.
I am running a DVC Limited.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4579 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
All of my stock STI 9mm mags work just fine.
I am running a DVC Limited.

Bob

Old or new style mags? How many rounds through your DVC?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

Cool! My 9mm Trojan runs great.

Have a thumb rest on any of your guns? From carrying a Glock, get used to the high grip support hand. I sometimes get my support hand/thumb too high on the 1911 frame out of the holster, get whacked by the slide.

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Both styles. Only about 2500 thru it.

Of course I tuned them.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4579 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:

Cool! My 9mm Trojan runs great.

Have a thumb rest on any of your guns? From carrying a Glock, get used to the high grip support hand. I sometimes get my support hand/thumb too high on the 1911 frame out of the holster, get whacked by the slide.

No thumb rest. I prefer kydex. thumbrests make that problematic, although Red Hill Tactical is working on a solution for that. I got cut up frequently when I switched from CZ to the 2011 platform. You'll figure it out... and build callouses where you regularly get cut.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Both styles. Only about 2500 thru it.

Of course I tuned them.

Bob

if they are tuned, are they truly stock STI mags?

posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine has an STI Edge in 9mm. I shot it recently. It does not have any muzzle flip.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put 300rds through a good friends 2011 9mm on Sunday. Shot it very well. See why it's a common platform for various competitions.

His 2011 is a older STI he had a gunsmith put together. Very similar to a Edge, long dust cover, bull barrel, polymer grip.... Has over 100K rds on it, on his 3rd barrel. Ran like a sewing machine with older SVI mags.

Comparing the 2011 to my 1911 Trojan. Much prefer the grip on the 2011. Has enough real-estate on the grip for more contact with my support hand palm. Able to drive the inside of my support hand palm into strong hand finger tips. Better control, faster follow up shots. He didn't bring a holster. Did a few high ready Bill drills, splits just a tad faster then the Trojan. I have 10K+ rounds on my Trojan. Pick up a strange to me gun shoot it faster then my gun, just as accurately, higher capacity.....

tha1000 your point about maybe not needing a heavier steel grip for a 9mm, understand that.

2011 9mm is in my future.

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put 300rds through a good friends 2011 9mm on Sunday. Shot it very well. See why it's a common platform for various competitions.

His 2011 is a older STI he had a gunsmith put together. Very similar to a Edge, long dust cover, bull barrel, polymer grip.... Has over 100K rds on it, on his 3rd barrel. Ran like a sewing machine with older SVI mags.

Comparing the 2011 to my 1911 Trojan. Much prefer the grip on the 2011. Has enough real-estate on the grip for more contact with my support hand palm. Able to drive the inside of my support hand palm into strong hand finger tips. Better control, faster follow up shots. He didn't bring a holster. Did a few high ready Bill drills, splits just a tad faster then the Trojan. I have 10K+ rounds on my Trojan. Pick up a strange to me gun shoot it faster then my gun, just as accurately, higher capacity.....

tha1000 your point about maybe not needing a heavier steel grip for a 9mm, understand that.

My only 9mm right now is a 4" Tactical DS, so commander length slide, matching dust cover, bull barrel... It is silly soft shooting even with hot 124gr. I see no point in a steel grip on a 9mm other than to change the geometry (like the PT Evo and SVI Signature Series grips do). That being said, I generally prefer a lighter gun with all else equal.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Dude -- it's 2018. 2011 is so yesteryear. Look to the future -- you need a 2111. Big Grin

Hopefully your plans work out and you have a 2011 by competition season. And of course, I want to try it out.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
you need a 2111. Big Grin

Those triple stack magazines are so hard to load.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tha1000,

I read a lot about problems with 2011 mags. Also read a lot about competitors who are trying to get a few more rounds in their mags beyond the mags designed capacity. Using aftermarket followers, springs, base plates... If you use this base plate...can get 23rds instead of 20, but need this follower to get it to work. Modding the mags to get more capacity causing a lot of these posted problems?

Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
tha1000,

I read a lot about problems with 2011 mags. Also read a lot about competitors who are trying to get a few more rounds in their mags beyond the mags designed capacity. Using aftermarket followers, springs, base plates... If you use this base plate...can get 23rds instead of 20, but need this follower to get it to work. Modding the mags to get more capacity causing a lot of these posted problems?

No, STI Quality control causes most of these problems... to the point of creating a cottage industry of "tuning mags" and Dave Dawson producing a tool kit and video on how to tune your own STI mags. SVI mags and MBX mags are largely trouble free, from most reports. I run old style SVI mags in both 40 and 9mm to the tune of thousands of rounds a year. I can count the number of mag related issues I have had on one hand. I use taran tactical guts and base pads on my 40 mags... I have Grams base pads and springs with Arrendondo followers in 9mm. Not that I think these particular combinations are better than any other combination.. it's just what I've had and will likely continue to have.

One comment on the SVI mags, the "new" style mags will require some work to fit in a STI frame, as SVI loves to make shit difficult. The "new style" mags are the ones currently for sale on the SV website and can be distinguished by the Strayer signature series diamond logo on the tube. None of my old style mags (9 or 40) have any distinguishing marks. Unless you are willing to file on your STI frame or send it off to a smith to have work done on it, I'd suggest MBX as the easiest alternative with the caveat that I have never personally used an MBX mag. I just know that "old style" SV mags are hens teeth at this point. Or you could buy already tuned STI mags from Brazos Custom or several other reputable smiths.

posted Hide Post
Thanks

posted Hide Post
Came across this low mileage STI Edge 9MM. Have it by the end of next week, fun stuff!

tha1000, I'll go with your recommendation on the MBX mags.

https://s18.postimg.org/5s2l7653d/STI_Edge_2.jpg

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Just tried my first MBX mag yesterday. I still like my old SVI mags better , but if I had sense I would have had SVI build the gun instead of my Frankenstein’s VIP I’ve ended up with for carry.

Follow the instructions about fully loading it a few times, after that, it ran fine for a couple hundred rounds. Will try it more today once I burn the thatch off to get my brass back. (I run 38 super)

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post