SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    LEOs - What caliber does your agency issue
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEOs - What caliber does your agency issue Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted
No one seems to track what calibers LE agencies use. There's lots of anecdotal reports, but nothing statistical. So every few year I put out a poll and see what's happening with LEOs on the board. I figure it's time to do it again.

Here are the rules. If you're a LEO, and your agency mandates/issues guns in a particular caliber, please select that caliber. If they let you pick among different calibers, don't pick any. If they have different calibers for uniform and plain close, please pick what they mandate for uniform officers.

Thanks.

Question:
What caliber does your agency mandate

Choices:
.38 Special
9mm x 19
357 SIG
.40 S&W
.45 ACP
.357 Magnum
.45 GAP
Other

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I am not going to vote as we are in the middle of transition to 9mm.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37083 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I switched us to 357 (Glock 31s) in 2008. We are trading them in for gen4 31s this summer.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I won't vote, since we issue many...

9mm, .357sig, .40, .45 and 10mm....plus an approved .380, .38sp and .357mag for those carrying offduty/backup in those flavors.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Should’ve had a multi option...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
MT Hwy Patrol, SIG 229's in .357

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I am not going to vote as we are in the middle of transition to 9mm.

We're in the same boat.

Used to be a mixture of 9mm, .40, and .45, depending on various factors, like assignment, qualification score, personal preference, and availability. Myself and my guys went all 9mm ~6 years ago, but the rest were still predominately .40, with a smattering of .45 and 9mm.

But the plan is for no new procurement of .40s or .45s. Just got a batch of new 9mms in, which will replace the oldest .40s and .45s. The remainder will be replaced by 9mms later on.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went to 9mm (G17) a year ago from .40 Sig P229 Dak and we havent looked back. I was part of testing the Glocks for us to go over to and its worked out very well since I am a “glock guy” and the dept armorer. I wasnt anti the sig and i shot it well, its just 9mm was better as a whole for the dept and the guys qual scores. Guys were also better with the glock trigger than the long dak trigger.

Posts: 267 | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
We're still on M&P .40s, with rumors of changing to 9mm.

Command staff recently declined to replace with 2.0s for free. Not sure what the future holds.

I, personally, absolutely hate my M&P. I've been sitting here dry-firing it all day watching the olympics. I carried a .45 M&P at my prior agency. At least the trigger on the .40 is a little bit better. But I'd much prefer an HK, SIG, or Glock. I hate these damn things.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Department that I worked for let the officer's decide between the SIG P220 .45 acp or the SIG P226, 228, and 225 in 9mm. (The 228 and 225 were replaced by the 229 and 239 in 9mm)

Officers could carry individually purchased guns in these two calibers or different calibers - but they would have to supply the ammo (range master's approval). We had some officers carrying different guns - specifically 10 or so Glock 21s in 45 acp and one Glock 17 9mm.

No one carried a different caliber than 9mm or 45.

Currently, the department is phasing out the DA/SA SIGs and replacing them with S&W M&Ps - again officer's choice of 9mm or 45 acp.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9mm is issued and mandatory for uniform patrol.

.380 to .45 (by nominal caliber, so .45 Colt, .44 special/magnum, etc is included) authorized for plain clothes/off duty.

Posts: 139 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SGT45
posted Hide Post
Department issue 9mm or .45 HST's. Department issues Glock G17G4, G19G4 or G21G4. Most traded in their G21's after the FBI testing and went with the G19G4. A few Have G17G4's.
I am really surprised at the amount issuing 38 Spl. so far

SGT 45
P320 Compact 9mm w/ MS (3)
P320 Compact 9mm FDE
P320 Compact/Carry 9mm FDE
P320 Compact .45 w/MS
P938
P229
--- Lots of Glocks

Posts: 437 | Location: Gettysburg,PA USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGT45:
I am really surprised at the amount issuing 38 Spl. so far

You're expecting some agencies to still be issuing .38 Special revolvers, in this day and age? Sure, there might be a few agencies issuing J-frames as backups or for deep concealment purposes, but that wouldn't be their primary duty caliber. (Although, our local Prosecutor's Office does issue their deputy prosecutors S&W 638s with .38 +P ammo, if they don't choose to carry a personally owned firearm.)

Or did you just misread the poll results? The bar and number for each caliber are listed on the line above the caliber name. .38 Special currently has zero.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BehindBlueI's:
9mm is issued and mandatory for uniform patrol.

.380 to .45 (by nominal caliber, so .45 Colt, .44 special/magnum, etc is included) authorized for plain clothes/off duty.

We're .40 Glock (22 or 23) for patrol, but our off duty/backup is .380 to .45 and open to pretty much any brand of pistol. A couple of SIG P226s are grandfathered in for the senior guys.

Hoping to see 9mm soon for duty use.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dehughes,

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Since 1995, we’ve had a choice between 9mm, .40, and 45acp. I carried the same triple serial P220 until this past October. 23 years with the same old reliable warhorse during which time I broke a hammer return spring, outer breach block roll pin, trigger bar, trigger bar spring, and wore out several mags. It’s going to be a sad day when I have to give it up so it can be destroyed.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
No 10mm? Frown

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The county issues 9mm and provides ammo for 9mm, .40, .45 and .357. Rifles are anything between .22 and .308.

Posts: 311 | Location: California | Registered: September 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4ftty4:
Rifles are anything between .22...

For putting down rabid squirrels?

posted Hide Post
P226 in .40. Rails and tails prohibited.

On paper the 9mm looks better.... but I shoot my .40 p226 better than my 9mm p226.

I wish we had options, because although I like what we have, not everyone does.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SGT45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Or did you just misread the poll results? The bar and number for each caliber are listed on the line above the caliber name. .38 Special currently has zero.

Rogue- Yes I did!!! Baby screaming, Girlfriend bitching and I am tired. My Bad. Read it wrong.

SGT 45
P320 Compact 9mm w/ MS (3)
P320 Compact 9mm FDE
P320 Compact/Carry 9mm FDE
P320 Compact .45 w/MS
P938
P229
--- Lots of Glocks

Posts: 437 | Location: Gettysburg,PA USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post