SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    LEOs - What caliber does your agency issue
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEOs - What caliber does your agency issue Login/Join 
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I voted 9mm because we will be completely converted over to 9mm soon and all the guns have been purchased and issuing has begun.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Issued .40 S&W (165gr GDHP) for P229 DAKs. Testing new guns in the summer and transitioning to 9mm.

Current candidates are a P226 DA/SA, M&P 2.0, P320, FN 509, Springfield XDM.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 811 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Issued Sig P229R DAK .40 s&w with mounted Steamlight .
Speer Gold Dot 180 grain.

Office staff p239 in 40 s&w

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
9mm. We switched from the Glock 22 to Glock 17 about 6 years ago. Issue ammo is 124gr HST.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 583 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
40 S&W Glock 23. Off duty, anything .380 and above.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Law Enforcement Training Academy: We're flexible, but our staff of 6 instructors are issued Glock 17s; Glock 19s (personally owned) are also approved for carry. Our duty load is the 9mm Federal HST 124 +P.

Arkansas is a Glock .40 dominated state, but the caliber, not the manufacturer, is changing. Not because of 9mm, but because of .45. After a high-profile OIS a few years ago with the .40, many Arkansas agencies went to the .45, and the change has been quick. A year ago, if we had a basic class of 60 students, 56 had Glock 22s, and the other 4 had Glock 21s or Glock 17s. In my current basic class, the number of .40s being carried has dropped by 50%, with a dramatic increase in G21 .45s. The .40 and .45 loads of choice are either Golden Saber or Critical Duty.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
P226 in .40. Rails and tails prohibited.

On paper the 9mm looks better.... but I shoot my .40 p226 better than my 9mm p226.

I wish we had options, because although I like what we have, not everyone does.

Why would you prohibit rails? I'd think the ability to mount a light would be a great asset.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
Currently only .40 S&W is issued/allowed.

Rumors have been circulating for a little over a year that we are "soon" switching to 9mm. However, I will note that after the rumors we were dumping SIG 229s and 226s, for something else, first started, it took more than 5 years for us to finally get our current Glocks. When the rumors of dumping those SIGs started, they too said the switch would happen "soon." Roll Eyes

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
P226 in .40. Rails and tails prohibited.

On paper the 9mm looks better.... but I shoot my .40 p226 better than my 9mm p226.

I wish we had options, because although I like what we have, not everyone does.

Why would you prohibit rails? I'd think the ability to mount a light would be a great asset.

They say that less-than-professional officers will be searching cars and houses with their gun light instead of a separate flashlight. I wouldnt doubt it if that did happen, but my response was that it is the supervisors responsibility to correct such issues. Its still a no-go.

On the mean time we will use decades old tactics and ignore modern weapon technology to protect the less-than-professional officers from themselves.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
California Dept. of Corrections, just switched from .38sp S&W Model 64s to Gen4 Glock22s, .40S&W, two years ago. I think we may have been the last Department using .38 revolvers. I just went through transition training, last November, because I was out, due to injury. I may have been one of the last officers in the state to qualify to carry the Glock22.

Posts: 25 | Registered: March 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US Secret Service - P229 - 357 Sig

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For duty, we are all 9mm 17 and 19 with 26's for some detective use.

Off duty approved are most any common defense caliber in the mid (38 to 45)range with qualification.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael J. Shannon:
US Secret Service - P229 - 357 Sig

Any word of the USSS going to the G19? I've heard that from several sources that are also agents. But you know how that works.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aikironin:
California Dept. of Corrections, just switched from .38sp S&W Model 64s to Gen4 Glock22s, .40S&W, two years ago. I think we may have been the last Department using .38 revolvers.

There may be a handful of others out there. (Arkansas DOC just switched from revolvers in the late 2000s... a big batch of surplus S&W 65s hit the market when they did.)

I know there are agencies who still issue revolvers to a portion of their personnel.

For example, there are some old-timers are various agencies across the country who still use issued revolvers, since they're grandfathered in after the department switched most everyone else to semiautos.

There are a few jurisdictions out there that have "special police" or similar, which are basically security guards with some limited police powers, but which are often restricted to revolvers. These are usually for stuff like security for transit systems, public housing, or government buildings.

In addition, a few agencies issue still issue revolvers to "real" police officers in other specialized positions, like seasonal officers in some of the vacation/beach towns, part time officers, bailiffs/court security officers, etc.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
IIRC there were some old timers on the NYPD who kept their revolvers. I think just recently they were forced to switch. This is third hand info, so I can't be sure.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Aikironin:
California Dept. of Corrections, just switched from .38sp S&W Model 64s to Gen4 Glock22s, .40S&W, two years ago. I think we may have been the last Department using .38 revolvers.

There may be a handful of others out there. (Arkansas DOC just switched from revolvers in the late 2000s... a big batch of surplus S&W 65s hit the market when they did.)

I know there are agencies who still issue revolvers to a portion of their personnel.

For example, there are some old-timers are various agencies across the country who still use issued revolvers, since they're grandfathered in after the department switched most everyone else to semiautos.

There are a few jurisdictions out there that have "special police" or similar, which are basically security guards with some limited police powers, but which are often restricted to revolvers. These are usually for stuff like security for transit systems, public housing, or government buildings.

In addition, a few agencies issue still issue revolvers to "real" police officers in other specialized positions, like seasonal officers in some of the vacation/beach towns, part time officers, bailiffs/court security officers, etc.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Correct. We discussed it here back in November: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2670019334

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
That's what I was thinking of.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
I voted. Just to clarify, Glock 21 gen4 to uniformed officers. Glock 30 gen4 to detectives and admin bosses.

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coast guard 229 in .40
Sheriffs office almost any 9, .40 or .45, i carry my 229 in 40

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently we have officers carrying 9, 45, 40. Range Master is talking about limiting new to the job officers, to 9. We buy our own weapons, I have carried 45, 357 magnum and now 9 in the last 12 years. 9 seems to be what everyone around us is settling on.

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post