SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    LEOs - What caliber does your agency issue
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEOs - What caliber does your agency issue Login/Join 
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:.....

And we have three .416 Rem Magnums...

Dam! Do you have many elephants in your neck of the woods?

True story. We have them just in case elephants or other large animals escape the zoo. State requirement that we have contingency plans. Not many people are qualified on them. When offered the chance I jumped at it. Recoil is...brisk...

.40 for scale...

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope that's not a hollowpoint you've got there. Won't do much good on big creatures, where penetration is key.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
400gr solid. 2400 fps. Over 5000 ft lbs at the muzzle. It will penetrate pretty much anything.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
NC SBI - G19 Gen 4. Had plans of P320 .45acp, but the delivered specimens failed. Hence, the Glock.

Also, Sig 516 sbr.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
jbourneidentity,

Hopefully the pictures will work, but here is what we use to train with and our duty carry.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]
180 grain FMJ and 62 grain open-tip

[IMG:left] [/IMG]
180 grain HST JHP XM40HC and 62 grain XM223SP1PB then slugs and Buckshot.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
So we can all agree this ends the law enforcement cartridge stopping power debate, right. Smile

“Come out of the building with your hands up or we will shoot through three of your neighbors houses and kill you.” Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
400gr solid. 2400 fps. Over 5000 ft lbs at the muzzle. It will penetrate pretty much anything.

Yeah, you're good. Big Grin

From the side, that flat-top looked like a hollowpoint.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Of course not. This just gives everyone more ammo to argue with Razz

quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
So we can all agree this ends the law enforcement cartridge stopping power debate, right. Smile

“Come out of the building with your hands up or we will shoot through three of your neighbors houses and kill you.” Razz

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I guess there is an assumption that the poll is for USA only.

Not specifically, but there are extremely few Sigforum members located in Asia, and no LEOs to my knowledge.

Besides deployed US servicemembers, I can only think of one Sigforum member who lives in Asia. And they work in the oil/gas industry in Singapore. Plus another one who used to live in China for a brief period, a few years ago. Both are/were Americans working abroad.

In fact, I don't know of any foreign LEOs whatsoever on the forum... Do we have any?

The Singapore member is me. I don't post much, so I'm surprised anyone remembers. I've since moved back to Houston, but to add to this thread I'll add what I saw when overseas.

In Singapore the police and auxiliary police (basically private police) had old school revolvers. I never got a good look at them, but they looked like a small cylinder which lead me to believe 5-shot medium caliber (.32, .38 etc.). They were worn with a lanyard. I did see a few police with semi-autos (Glocks), but these were high speed/low drag types that were also armed with MP-5s typically patrolling high foot traffic areas like train stations. We lived in an area with a lot of Americans so every now and then the equivalent of SWAT were walking through our neighborhood with full kit (MP5 or AR/Singapore bullpup rifles, semi-auto pistol, armor, helmets, armored vehicle etc.). I was told they wanted to be sure there were no issues around the American school or in a neighborhood with a lot of expats, so they trained a lot in the area. I think, though I'm not certain, that they basically standardized on 9mm for semi-auto handguns and sub guns and 5.56 for rifles.

Thailand was interesting. The first time we went I saw an officer with what looked like a race gun. Maybe a 2011 variant or similar. It was hard to tell and I didn't want to stare and end up in a Thai prison. There were a lot of bright colored Aluminum anodized parts on his pistol.

I don't really remember seeing what officers in other countries were carrying.

This is an interesting thread to monitor.

Posts: 212 | Registered: April 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig P226 my first 10 years or so. Sig P226 .40 my next 10 years. Now Glock 17 9mm. We have to carry 9mm, issue Glock, but I am seriously considering buying M&P 2.0 and carrying it.

We decided on the switch back to 9mm right before the FBI announced.

Posts: 32 | Registered: August 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are. Talons on mine.

quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
9mm we all just switched over from .40 at the end of last year.
I still dislike the Glock but dislike the Glock 19 far less than I loathe the 22.

Whoever voted 45 GAP are you at an agency in Virginia??

Are you guys allowed to apply quality grip enhancement like talon grips? The sandpaper grip has made my 19 a much better shooter.

Posts: 32 | Registered: August 23, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kampy:

In Singapore the police and auxiliary police (basically private police) had old school revolvers. I never got a good look at them, but they looked like a small cylinder which lead me to believe 5-shot medium caliber (.32, .38 etc.). They were worn with a lanyard.

They were issued a 5 shot Taurus 10 years ago. Not sure if they still use the Taurus or not. But that alone gave me a little more respect for the Taurus.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10906 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
For the agencies using a G21 in .45, I wonder why the G41 isn't more popular. Longer sight radius and it's actually lighter than the 21.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
For the agencies using a G21 in .45, I wonder why the G41 isn't more popular. Longer sight radius and it's actually lighter than the 21.

Handing to buy different holsters I would say

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of incogneato
posted Hide Post
After decades of .40-only, there is now the choice between .40 and 9mm.

Posts: 124 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SGT45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

One of our guys is issued a G41. He is 6'5" and he says it fits him perfect.

SGT 45
P320 Compact 9mm w/ MS (3)
P320 Compact 9mm FDE
P320 Compact/Carry 9mm FDE
P320 Compact .45 w/MS
P938
P229
--- Lots of Glocks

Posts: 437 | Location: Gettysburg,PA USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post