SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    LEOs - What caliber does your agency issue
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEOs - What caliber does your agency issue Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Aikironin:
California Dept. of Corrections, just switched from .38sp S&W Model 64s to Gen4 Glock22s, .40S&W, two years ago. I think we may have been the last Department using .38 revolvers.

There may be a handful of others out there. (Arkansas DOC just switched from revolvers in the late 2000s... a big batch of surplus S&W 65s hit the market when they did.)

I know there are agencies who still issue revolvers to a portion of their personnel.

I guess there is an assumption that the poll is for USA only. But in Asia, you will find that revolvers are still all over the place, and still being newly issued.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We went from OLD P229s in .40 to P320s in 9mm last year. I've been really happy with the change. As a department we've been shooting more, and it's cheaper for me to provide my own ammo for off-duty practice as well. Still own and love the P229 (it now wears a Barsto 9mm conversion barrel), but the P320 is a fantastic duty gun platform, and my qualification scores have clearly demonstrated I can put more rounds on target more quickly with it than I could with my P229.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I guess there is an assumption that the poll is for USA only.

Not specifically, but there are extremely few Sigforum members located in Asia, and no LEOs to my knowledge.

Besides deployed US servicemembers, I can only think of one Sigforum member who lives in Asia. And they work in the oil/gas industry in Singapore. Plus another one who used to live in China for a brief period, a few years ago. Both are/were Americans working abroad.

In fact, I don't know of any foreign LEOs whatsoever on the forum... Do we have any?

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I'm with a large Bay Area agency. Issued 226 40 cal. 180 gr. Ranger T-series

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
South Texas Fed

H&K P2000 in .40

We are going to a 9mm, but it will be a year or two. They are in the testing process now.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
.40 cal in a Sig 229R

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
.40 for duty weapons.

9mm and .38 for BUGs.

12 gauge 00 and Slugs for patrol.

5.56 for patrol rifles.

And we have three .416 Rem Magnums...

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gatopescado:
South Texas Fed

H&K P2000 in .40

We are going to a 9mm, but it will be a year or two. They are in the testing process now.

What's your current duty load in your HK .40s, gatopescado?

USBP had huge success during gunfights in the mid-90s with their 9mm duty load, Federal 115-grain 9BPLE +P+.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Odd. When my brother was in USBP in the mid 90s, he was issued the Beretta 96.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Beretta 96 in .40 was adopted by Border Patrol in 1995. Prior to that, the issue handgun was .357 Magnum revolvers. The Beretta was in turn replaced by the HK P2000 in .40 in 2006.

However, there are/were additional private purchase handguns authorized for duty use, some of which were 9mm. 9mm Glocks with 9BPLE were reportedly popular private purchase duty guns among Border Patrol agents prior to the official switch away from issued revolvers.

Customs and Border Protection, which includes Border Patrol, is currently exploring switching to 9mm. A RFI was issued back in December, seeking a source for a family of 9mm handguns. https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=op...ba&tab=core&_cview=0

They're looking for a polymer-framed, striker-fired 9mm with at least three sizes of frames (full size, mid-size, and compact), no manual safety, and the ability to mount a red dot on the slide. You can read the other requirements in the Word Document here: https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view...8217dac833786f212472

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
We switched from .40 to 9mm two years ago.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
With over a hundred votes in, I think the poll is getting some useful numbers.

One of the reasons I did this was to see what was happening between 9mm and .40 in the LE world. Based on the ancidotal comments we've been seeing, one would think that .40 was all but dead as a LE duty round. I was not expecting it to have largely gone away, but I would have thought 9mm was as this point the leading round. This appears to not be the case. While .40 may be trending down, it's still the single most popular LE round, with 9mm close behind.

IIRC (the thread likely being long gone) the last time I did this type of poll (a few years ago) .40 was about 50%, 9mm was about 25%, and everything else was the other 25%. Now it seems 9mm and .40 are about even at 40%, with .40 maybe having a slim lead, with everything else in the leftover 20%. And it's interesting that 357SIG is edging out .45.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
We use 9mm. Its a Block 17. It shoots worse than my sig or Berretta, and I score lower with it as well. One day glock will make a pistol. Not a mid. or a compact, or a subcompact, but an actual pistol. I dont think my hands are that big, but when I can't secure my hand on the weapon, its no good to me.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Not LEO but where I work one agency carries JMB’s 1911 everyone else carries GLOCK 9mms.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At agency I was working for before we relocated to NC, we carried Glock 21.

A recruiter from Hays, KS contacted me last night from when I applied a long time ago to see if I was still interested. The Officer told me they switched from Glock 22/23 to Glock 17 because of the FBI.

I know Cabarrus, NC Sheriffs Office carries Sig P226 in .40. The Deputy I was talking to this morning stated that they are discussing switching to another caliber, either 9mm or 45acp. He did not specify which platform they were going considering.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:.....

Dam! Do you have many elephants in your neck of the woods?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:.....

Dam! Do you have many elephants in your neck of the woods?

Not any more! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
Odd. When my brother was in USBP in the mid 90s, he was issued the Beretta 96.

This was before the switch to the Beretta 96 .40, so I could have my time frame off by a few years. It could've been the late 80s-early 90s.

It was in an Ayoob article that I read where it was stated that the USBP had such good luck with the 9mm +P+ that they weren't too keen on switching to the .40.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The Beretta 96 in .40 was adopted by Border Patrol in 1995. Prior to that, the issue handgun was .357 Magnum revolvers. The Beretta was in turn replaced by the HK P2000 in .40 in 2006.

However, there are/were additional private purchase handguns authorized for duty use, some of which were 9mm. 9mm Glocks with 9BPLE were reportedly popular private purchase duty guns among Border Patrol agents prior to the official switch away from issued revolvers.

Customs and Border Protection, which includes Border Patrol, is currently exploring switching to 9mm. A RFI was issued back in December, seeking a source for a family of 9mm handguns. https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=op...ba&tab=core&_cview=0

They're looking for a polymer-framed, striker-fired 9mm with at least three sizes of frames (full size, mid-size, and compact), no manual safety, and the ability to mount a red dot on the slide. You can read the other requirements in the Word Document here: https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view...8217dac833786f212472

Thank you, Rogue.

Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Issue .40 but we are moving to 9mm.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post