SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 19 gen 2 find
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 19 gen 2 find Login/Join 
Picture of HarrysAllOut
posted Hide Post
Nice find

Posts: 283 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: May 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
update Frown
The glock tech called and said that he couldn't drill the frame and put relief's in and do an upgrade because he said it has already started to crack.

I honestly cannot see it but he says it's there so I have to take his word for it. all they can do is replace it with a gen 3 frame. which makes it a parts gun and defeats the purpose I was trying to achieve. they said they will never touch it for any kind of warranty work, and is sending me a release form of some type. So now I own a 430 dollar paper weight along with my 90 dollar shipping charge, this really stings.

had I known that this was an issue with the gen 2 I would have just bought a gen 4 latest greatest. I contacted the dealer hoping he will take mercy on me and let me sell it back and upgrade to a new one but I think that it's just wishful thinking at this point. I guess I could have it updated but I know that it will bug me from now on.

I hope others see this and know what to look for before they make the mistake I did. Frown

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't you just have them replace the frame with a Gen 3 frame and then sell it ? (run 100 rds through it to confirm functionality)

All you have to do is disclose the fact it was sent back to correct a defect and now runs fine.

I can't imagine you would have a hard time finding a buyer.

Or just keep it for a back-up / beater / training gun... One side bonus is you will get a light rail on the frame...

-----------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
update Frown
The glock tech called and said that he couldn't drill the frame and put relief's in and do an upgrade because he said it has already started to crack.

I honestly cannot see it but he says it's there so I have to take his word for it. all they can do is replace it with a gen 3 frame. which makes it a parts gun and defeats the purpose I was trying to achieve. they said they will never touch it for any kind of warranty work, and is sending me a release form of some type. So now I own a 430 dollar paper weight along with my 90 dollar shipping charge, this really stings.

had I known that this was an issue with the gen 2 I would have just bought a gen 4 latest greatest. I contacted the dealer hoping he will take mercy on me and let me sell it back and upgrade to a new one but I think that it's just wishful thinking at this point. I guess I could have it updated but I know that it will bug me from now on.

I hope others see this and know what to look for before they make the mistake I did. Frown

That really sucks.
I was in the same situation so I know how you feel.
Might be best to let them install the Gen 3 frame as long as it is already there so you can get better value out of it on a trade or sale.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
quote:
update Frown

That stinks! Thanks for the update, as I literally have one of mine boxed and ready to send. Might hold off now. It almost sounds like they simply don't want to be bothered with the older frames (which was my concern that kept me from sending sooner).

Are you able to post pics of that area when you get the gun back? I kinda want to see these phantom cracks.

Sorry to hear this...

Posts: 474 | Location: PA | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I will post pics when I get it back, yes I could just have a gen 3 frame put on it and sell it but the whole point was to have the gen 2 frame. the market is so saturated with gen 3 I would be lucky to get police trade wholesale value, better then a slap n the face but still a loss.

knowing what I know now I will never touch another one.

posted Hide Post
Sucks about the cracked frame. My first handgun I bought myself was a gen 2 G19. Probably put around 10k rounds through it without an issue and then ended up trading it for something else. Definitely wish I would've hung on to it.

Posts: 133 | Location: Westfield, IN | Registered: June 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Adding this to the thousands of guns with "Phase 3" malfunctions which Glock was never able to resolve, the potential buyer of a Gen 2 Glock 19 should be very wary.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
Adding this to the thousands of guns with "Phase 3" malfunctions which Glock was never able to resolve, the potential buyer of a Gen 2 Glock 19 should be very wary.

Phase Three Malfunction. I can't remember all the details on that from 15+ years ago...

But I will say - that because of that - to this day I don't load 124 gr Speer GDHPs in my Gen 2 G19s.

How goofy is that??

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Phase Three Malfunction. I can't remember all the details on that from 15+ years ago...

I have a picture of one of my stoppages, not sure if I can find it. The big problem with Phase Three is it can't easily be cleared in the field, unlike many other malfunctions. I was unable to clear my first one and had to bring it home. Then it took about 20 minutes. This was a no go for the NYPD, who returned all of their 2G 19's from that run.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Have you considered something like a Polymer80 frame?
They now make several compact (G-19 size) variants.

The catch is, one has to finish the frame but since you already have all of the parts it might be another option for you.

Polymer80

You also might get a 2nd opinion locally as far as the progress the cracks have made.
If it is a matter of Glock simply not wanting to perform the modification, someone local may be able to do it for you but only if the cracks have not already progressed to far.
It really only takes about 10 minutes with the correct tools and a bit of ability.

Regards, Steve

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
pardon my Glock ignorance, but was this just on 19's?

asking since I have a very early (86 I think) G17 that I use for a house gun,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Great news the local dealer said I can return it and get a gen 4 or whatever I want. after it's all done I will post the lgs info.

Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great news the local dealer said I can return it and get a gen 4 or whatever I want. after it's all done I will post the lgs info.

Glad this is working out for you.

I've decided to just shoot mine and forget about it. If/when it cracks, I still have my other gen 2 (with relief cut), and by then the new gen 10 ought to be out anyway Smile

Would still love to see pics of this pistol's frame if possible.

Posts: 474 | Location: PA | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's the best news of all.
I would suspect that LGS will continue to get your future business.

When the original pistol returns from Glock, would it be possible for you to post a close up picture of the area where the cracks are supposed to have started?

Regards, Steve

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
here is the picture of the crack it's on both sides not a good picture but best I can do. heading to the lgs to trade it in on a different one. it's not as bad as the picture looks almost like a casting mark

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
here is the picture of the crack it's on both sides not a good picture but best I can do. heading to the lgs to trade it in on a different one. it's not as bad as the picture looks almost like a casting mark

Asking the braintrust here at Sig Forum: Wasn't there a big Hoopla once about casting marks being perceived as cracks on Glock frames years ago?

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Yes that is exactly where the cracks on mine started.
It does NOT appear from the photo that it has progressed to the top of the frame.
Maybe you can find a Glock armorer familiar with the stress relief procedure to perform that.
Glock (corporate) probably doesn't want any potential liability
If it has in fact progressed into the top of the frame, then take your dealer up on his option to give you credit for it.

Anyway thanks for the photo update.
As mentioned earlier, I have shared your pain regarding this issue on my 1st Gen2.

Sunset_Va, Those aren't casting marks.

Regards, Steve

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I just got back from the dealer and he took it back, he wanted to know what I was talking about and luckily glock had sent a letter with details, I just handed him the letter and he was fine with it. he could have said too bad and I would have agreed to it as I know it was not a new gun.

I ended up getting a 42 with a couple of taren tactical 2 rd extension and a bladetech holster, I also ordered a g 19 with front serrations so all and all it worked out good for both of us.

Oregon Rifleworks in Tigard Oregon is great to do business with Josh is the owner he has a really nice set up.

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got back from the dealer and he took it back, he wanted to know what I was talking about and luckily glock had sent a letter with details, I just handed him the letter and he was fine with it. he could have said too bad and I would have agreed to it as I know it was not a new gun.

I ended up getting a 42 with a couple of taren tactical 2 rd extension and a bladetech holster, I also ordered a g 19 with front serrations so all and all it worked out good for both of us.

Oregon Rifleworks in Tigard Oregon is great to do business with Josh is the owner he has a really nice set up.

Even though you had to go through 'the process' glad to hear it all worked out.
Hopefully any financial loss was minimal.

Regards, Steve