SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 19 gen 2 find
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 19 gen 2 find Login/Join 
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted
I just picked up a g19 gen 2 with aus. proof marks I'm trying to figure out the year is was made It has the 2 serial letter prefix BR64* Is this enough for the identification? it has the proof marks on the barrel slide and polymer housing with the 19 stamp on the trigger guard.

Thanks Ray

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Probably looks a lot like this one? Hope you have better luck than I did, mine would not function properly. It was one of the guns with problems like the NYPD returned thousands of...

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1858 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
September 1988.

https://www.glocktalk.com/thre...rch-project.1287557/

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
September 1988.

https://www.glocktalk.com/thre...rch-project.1287557/

Thank you! September 1988

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Make certain the frame is not cracked or starting to crack just above and behind the locking block.
Glock, in an engineering screw up left a piece of polymer in between the stronger, reinforced portions of this area.
These thin strips can split and if they do, the crack can run into the main frame.

If there are no cracks, the fix was to remove the thin areas and drill holes into the frame for stress relief.

I got rid of my 1st Gen-2 G-19 (s/n GN6xxUS - 1989) that I purchased used due to this defect.
After performing the remedial polymer removal and drilling, the cracks ceased to spread further even though they were already across the top of the frame.
I sold the pistol anyway with full disclosure.
While I was advised Glock would likely replace the frame gratis, I did NOT want a G-19 with finger grooves, which is what the replacement would have been.

My 2nd Gen-2 G-19 (s/n BCP6xx - 1994) already had these mods performed from the factory.
No frame crack issues with this one.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I took it out and shot 100 rds thru it and it ran perfectly. took it apart and didn't notice any cracking at all, is this something I can send off to glock and have them fix before it starts or what would you recommend ?

Thanks for the info.

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I took it out and shot 100 rds thru it and it ran perfectly. took it apart and didn't notice any cracking at all, is this something I can send off to glock and have them fix before it starts or what would you recommend ?

Thanks for the info.

Let me see if I can get a picture of what it SHOULD look like if it has already been taken care of.

Regards, Steve

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Pictures of 1994 G19.
This is what it should look similar to if it has already been modified.

I do not have photos of the 1989 G19 with cracks anymore.
In my case, the stress cracks started to run outward from roughly the area where the material has been removed across the top toward the edge of the frame.

Edited to add: Pictures removed due to cancelling Photobucket account

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Steve 22X,

Regards, Steve

posted Hide Post
I have an early Gen 2 G17 made before the addition of the stress reliefs that appears to have small cracks in that area. It's a well-used police trade that doesn't seem to have been shot a lot, and I haven't had any issues with it. I had a Glock armorer look at it at a GSSF match and he didn't seem concerned. I will shoot continue to shoot it until something changes. At this point I wouldn't want to send it back to Glock even if they would do a frame swap, since I prefer the Gen 2 frame.

Posts: 2480 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
I have an early Gen 2 G17 made before the addition of the stress reliefs that appears to have small cracks in that area. It's a well-used police trade that doesn't seem to have been shot a lot, and I haven't had any issues with it. I had a Glock armorer look at it at a GSSF match and he didn't seem concerned. I will shoot continue to shoot it until something changes. At this point I wouldn't want to send it back to Glock even if they would do a frame swap, since I prefer the Gen 2 frame.

If the cracks do not extend to the top of the frame and are only along the sides of the thin area (where the gap is in the picture) then it is my understanding that Glock can perform the above modifications.

In my case the cracks had already run into the main portion of the frame and I was advised Glock "may" replace the frame gratis.
Like you, I absolutely did not want a frame with finger grooves so I performed the above procedures on my 1st G-19.
It did not appear to worsen but I did eventually get rid of that pistol, again, with full disclosure.

No issues whatsoever with the G-19 pictured above.

Regards, Steve

Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Great Thanks for the info My pistol frame is solid so I think I will contact them and see what the say, I could do this myself but I will probably send it to them as long as I get the same frame back. the whole reason I bought this g19 was for the frame not having the finger grooves . I wish I would have known about this before I bought it.

Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great Thanks for the info My pistol frame is solid so I think I will contact them and see what the say, I could do this myself but I will probably send it to them as long as I get the same frame back. the whole reason I bought this g19 was for the frame not having the finger grooves . I wish I would have known about this before I bought it.

Please let us know what Glock says - I'd be curious to hear whether they're even offering the gen 2 frame modification nowadays, or just giving out new gen 3 frames as needed.

Posts: 474 | Location: PA | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
I too was unaware of this when I bought my first Gen-2.
The information on this modification was procured from the internet several years ago after I had noted the cracks.

My intent is not to start a panic here.
The fact that the particular G-19 I bought used had developed cracks prior to my purchase is not necessarily indicative of some major catastrophe on Glock's part.
That pistol never had the six part upgrade done and I suspect still had the original RSA.
I did replace the RSA and that may have also helped prevent the cracks from running further.
Glock, however, had to be aware of this occurring since they did include this modification on subsequent production pistols.

I would expect that Glock could still facilitate the modification if the frame was good.
To be frank, this job only takes about 10 minutes to perform with the proper tools.

Regards, Steve

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
My intent is not to start a panic here...

Keeping people informed wouldn't cause a panic. Having a pistol come apart while shooting it does.

Checked mine (looks great) and now know what to look for when shopping for an extra Gen-2. Thanks.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
Through the internet, I've been aware of this cracking possibility on the older 2-pin frames for several years, and never really was all that concerned (as evidenced by my previous and continuing complete lack of action).

I've got one mid-90's G19 that's had the cut performed, and an older one (with way fewer rounds through it) that has not had the cut added. Neither has given me trouble, and I'd be shocked if they ever do. I'm mostly just wondering if Glock is still willing to work on the older frames.

I guess I'll give them a ring one of these days when I'm feeling particularly motivated. Smile

Best Glocks they ever made, those 2-pin G19s.

Posts: 474 | Location: PA | Registered: May 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glock will give you a new gen 3 frame with different s/n's that they already have registered as a replacement here at the Smyrna factory or you can get one from Austria in a few weeks with your s/n and an added designation marking noting it's a replacement frame. Had a friends 2 pin with no damage and was not a recall Glock offered for free.

Posts: 268 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Hey, congrats XLT, I know you've been looking for one for a little while now. Enjoy that pistol!

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with Glock and they said they will cut the relief into the gen 2 frame and do an update on the pistol. I said that I didn't want the gen 3 frame and he said they will fix mine. that's great news. Smile

Picture of JoeyBones7
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the follow up. Guess I might as well send mine in.

Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just got off the phone with Glock and they said they will cut the relief into the gen 2 frame and do an update on the pistol. I said that I didn't want the gen 3 frame and he said they will fix mine. that's great news. Smile

Good news Smile

Regards, Steve